What's new

Expiry Auctions Participants

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I was just wondering do either Drop or NetFleet know how many individual bidders they get each day on their expiry auctions?

And if they do track these sorts of metrics, I was just wondering what sort of trends they have been seeing over the last 6 - 12 months?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
fair to say the one who wins the most has the greater numbers of course , although some will bid on both platforms

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I normally just bid the same price on both platforms.

And there is no sweeter victory than winning on one platform when someone has outbid you significnatly on the other and you still catch the domain. It is rare, but it does happen!

:)

Oz.

Top Contributor
I also like winning the auction at both places, and the place where the bid was lowest catches the domain. Happened a few times recently - saving me a few hundred bucks.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I also like winning the auction at both places, and the place where the bid was lowest catches the domain. Happened a few times recently - saving me a few hundred bucks.
Also agreed.

Of course the opposite sucks...

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
I was just wondering do either Drop or NetFleet know how many individual bidders they get each day on their expiry auctions?

And if they do track these sorts of metrics, I was just wondering what sort of trends they have been seeing over the last 6 - 12 months?

Hi Chris,

We do track bidder numbers - generally they have increased, however it's difficult to read much into this information as this is a) dependent on the platform success and b) dependent on the quality of the drop inventory, both of which can vary, and both of which affect active bidders.

regarding comments on price differential between drop platforms - we have always advised that bidders "back up" their bids on all auctions platforms if they want a domain. From recent performance no single platform can offer a 100% guarantee to catch a domain.

Cheers

Andrew

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Andrew, ever considered making bidders at auction known through their nicknames?

Hi Webponic,

We thought about it, however we felt that there was little benefit to us in doing so.

I know that on other (non au) platforms identifying bidders leads to undesired behaviour, for the auction operator at least - i.e. bidders agreeing not to compete with each other, bidders not bidding against a known bidder with deep pockets etc.

Interesting question - what do you think the benefits of identifying bidder would be?

Andrew

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Transparency for the buy side.

Enhanced buyer-trust in the registry.
LOL...

Clutching at straws me thinks.

If I knew who was bidding on what I find it hard to believe I would be tempted to engage in collusion. Nor would I bother trying to out bid some of the bigger guys.

johno69

Top Contributor
Nor would I bother trying to out bid some of the bigger guys.

Exactly. I made what I thought was a decent bid on the drops one day to be outbid in the dying moments. So I was the price setter.

Turned out the new registrant was the PTY LTD owner of the same name.

I was pretty much never beating them. Had I known I was up against them I would have backed out a lot earlier.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
The only positive you can take out being the price setter (and I have been the price setter on MANY occasions) is that you hope that people seeing domains go for decent sums of money makes people appreciate domains more (ie a rising tide lifts all ships).

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Nor would I bother trying to out bid some of the bigger guys.

You out bid bigger boys anomalously because anonymity works to your advantage;

Bidders agreeing not to compete with each other, bidders not bidding against a known bidder with deep pockets etc

It’s difficult to overcome those objections. Introducing id tags will build imitating reputations and collusive behavior so, the question is how could you increase registry trust and make it transparent beyond what is available today...solve this problem and you'll be rich...

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo