What's new

Expired ABN - Who to contact

asantha

Top Contributor
I saw a domain which is ABN is cancelled more than 4 years before.. I contacted AUDA, they stating i have to contact the registrar of the domain, which i did,,, and registrar replied me saying contact AUDA... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

neddy

Top Contributor
I think auDA would know. ;)

Have a look at the policy: http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2004-01/

3. COMPLAINTS-HANDLING PROCESS

3.1 Where a person believes that a registrant no longer exists or is no longer eligible to hold their domain name licence, that person should lodge a complaint with the registrar of record for the domain name (disclosed on the WHOIS service).

You need to read the rest of that section though as to rights and remedies. It may well be that the current registrant is allowed to rectify the details if they are not current.

I presume you want the domain? Have you tried to contact the current owner yourself to make an offer? That would be far preferable imho.

If auDA do end up taking the punitive step of cancelling the domain, that doesn't mean that you will get it. It will go on the drops.

asantha

Top Contributor
I think auDA would know. ;)

I presume you want the domain? Have you tried to contact the current owner yourself to make an offer? That would be far preferable imho.

Yes I contacted him,, But no answer from him at all..

Shane

Top Contributor
Yes I contacted him,, But no answer from him at all..
Might be worth placing a backorder with Netfleet then...?

I had a similar situation where I emailed a domain owner offering to purchase a domain, but after a couple of attempts I heard nothing back.

I backordered the domain through Netfleet, and sure enough a few months later the domain was mine.

PS. ABNs don't just 'expire' after a period of time. It would need to have been cancelled, which may mean that the business is no longer trading. I'd be backordering the domain for sure!

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I saw a domain which is ABN is cancelled more than 4 years before.. I contacted AUDA, they stating i have to contact the registrar of the domain, which i did,,, and registrar replied me saying contact AUDA... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

When dealing with ABNs it is also necessary to check if the ABN is ACN derived as on occasion the ACN will still be active.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Domain equivalent of ambulance chasing?

That's what I was thinking... isn't this just making a malicious complaint to try and acquire a domain you want?

We all complain about restrictive policies making our lives harder but then when it suits us try to use the policy to wrangle a domain off another registrant.

Offer to buy it instead...

Sorry but I don't agree with the backorder then dob strategy.

Shane

Top Contributor
Sorry but I don't agree with the backorder then dob strategy.
This may not have been directed at me, but when I suggested he backorder the domain, I didn't mean that he should then dob them in. I said it because there's a decent chance the domain may drop on its own.

DavidL

Top Contributor
This may not have been directed at me, but when I suggested he backorder the domain, I didn't mean that he should then dob them in. I said it because there's a decent chance the domain may drop on its own.

No it wasn't - just know this happens all the time.....

marketingweb

Top Contributor
Ambulance chasing or not, if a domain isn't being used, has an invalid ABN, and you try to contact the person and their contact details aren't valid and/or they simply refuse to even acknowledge your enquiry, I don't think it's an issue.

Even though no one likes people not playing fairly, and we all have domains we don't use, if your ABN isn't valid and you have basically disapeared and abandoned the name completely (business gone bust etc), what gives you the right to keep it? Nothing I say.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo