What's new

Exact match subdomains...

Ash

Top Contributor
...on an unrelated but short .com.au - are they worth it in your opinion?

For example, if you can't get your hands on deals.com.au is it worth developing a subdomain such as deals.defg.com.au? I know resale is out of the question but could it still work as a developed site - i.e. can it rank and be monetised?

Thanks.

James

Top Contributor
It will rank but it is no where near as effective from an SEO aspect as other methods.

Why because a sub domain lets Google believe that each specific sub domain is a separate domain/website, hence you are left with sub domains which are not as strong as other URL structures which you can use.

A more effective URL strategy to use is:

www.deals.com.au/sydney
www.deals.com.au/melbourne
www.deals.com.au/perth

If you use

perth.deals.com.au
sydney.deals.com.au

Google will see it as separate domains so you will not have the flow of link juice.

I have seen the sub domain strategy used by SEO companies who have no idea what they are doing they try to be fancy they move a working URL structure to a sub domain structure and it causes big problems.

Ash

Top Contributor
Thanks Jonathan.

James, I think you have misunderstood... I'm asking if you have an unrelated domain like defg.com.au can you add a subdomain such as deals.defg.com and get it to rank? FWIW, I do agree with the strategy you outlined and I wish I did have the problem of figuring out whether to use subdomains/subdirectories on deals.com.au (would be a nice problem to have!) :)

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
You can rank it, but an Exact match with the same links and other elements will always outrank you.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo