What's new

Exact Match domains and SEO very interesting

snoopy

Top Contributor
What I am saying that if they hit back within 5 seconds, it's unlikely they've gotten any satisfaction from that page.

If they stay on the page for 2 minutes and then hit back, you'd figure they found something worthwhile before moving on to something else.

Google analytics cannot measure the time spent on site of a bouncing visitor. There is no end point to measure. So if there is only one page view the time spent on site is reported as 0:00.

I think some stats packages are able to measure page scrolling and other factors but still this is a measure that can't really be properly measured on a bouncing visitor.

So for a site with a 90% bounce rate the "time spent on site" relates to the 10% who don't bounce. Ie in your examples, the 90% bounce rate with 5 seconds spent on site means 90% bounce after spending an unknown amount of time on the site and the other 10% spend 50 seconds plus on the site.

For the 90% / 50 second example, again nothing is known on the 90% who bounce in terms of time on site and the other 10% spent 500 seconds+.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Sorry I don't get you? Why can't analytics (or Google) measure when a visitor leaves a site after bouncing?

This is from analytics:

Visits......Av Time on Page....Bounce Rate
3,349......00:02:37..............81.18%

I don't understand why you're saying that 2:37 would apply only to the people who browse other pages of the site (the 18.82%). Also, if that were the case why is the average time spent on the site so long (twice the site average)

James

Top Contributor
Depends what type of site you have but, if you have a site which is purely CPA or all your information is on page 1 then your bounce rate will be crazy high. But specific clients I have they want visitors to be sticky on the website and drive down the bounce rate from like 70% to 30% which I have achieved.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Sorry I don't get you? Why can't analytics (or Google) measure when a visitor leaves a site after bouncing?

This is from analytics:

Visits......Av Time on Page....Bounce Rate
3,349......00:02:37..............81.18%

I don't understand why you're saying that 2:37 would apply only to the people who browse other pages of the site (the 18.82%). Also, if that were the case why is the average time spent on the site so long (twice the site average)

Because there is no end point to measure. Google doesn't know when you've left a site. The "Time on site" is the time between the first page view and the last page view from what I know of it.

soj

Founder
David, Snoopy is 100% correct. If you look through Analytics, and click on your keywords which visitors have come to your site, you go down to the long-tail keywords and you'll notice that those that have a 100% bounce rate, have 00:00:00 for their time on the site.

Google Analytics requires the first page load, then a subsequent page load to determine how long they were on the first page for.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Because there is no end point to measure. Google doesn't know when you've left a site. The "Time on site" is the time between the first page view and the last page view from what I know of it.

David, Snoopy is 100% correct. If you look through Analytics, and click on your keywords which visitors have come to your site, you go down to the long-tail keywords and you'll notice that those that have a 100% bounce rate, have 00:00:00 for their time on the site.

Google Analytics requires the first page load, then a subsequent page load to determine how long they were on the first page for.

Ahhh - now I get you. Thanks.

A related metric which I guess Google would consider is if a user clicks on a search result and eventually hit back to return to the search results, how long they stay on that site. What do you think?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Ahhh - now I get you. Thanks.

A related metric which I guess Google would consider is if a user clicks on a search result and eventually hit back to return to the search results, how long they stay on that site. What do you think?

Can see the logic but I doubt they are using this type of data.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member