What's new

Ever sold someone BACK an expired domain?

marketingweb

Top Contributor
Hi All,

I was just curious, has anyone ever sold a domain back to an original owner who has mistakenly let it expire? By this I mean either caught it on a drop or hand redged just after the drop process finished, and then sold it back to it's original owner once the "oh s**t" factor took over when their website had disappeared and they worked out why?

If so, who contacted who first? And how did you deal with their animosity (I imagine there would be some!)

Final part of question - what is the legality of this if it's
A) a pretty generic name
B) something that could be argued as being generic but really isn't
C) an actual business name (but NOT a trademark).

Would be interested to hear of experiences

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I've been approached by people who own the .net.au when I pickup the .com.au that drops.

I'd be hesitant in approaching the previous registrant first.. they could make a complaint to auDA and it could go to auDRP quite easily.

Best to just sit on the name IMO.

montecristo

Top Contributor
Normally you'd think it would be a case of bad luck if you were to let it expire, but there has been cases where the new owner has tried to sell a domain back and the courts 'handed' the domain back without a cent changing hands.

I think if you realise you are stepping on someones toes, best idea would be developing the hell out of it as quick as possible so you at least had an argument leaning slightly in your favour.

Try selling it to them at your own peril.

marketingweb

Top Contributor
Thanks everyone for their replies.

Don't want to get myself a rep as a nasty domain shark with my posts - it was actually mainly a theoretical question!

SEOconsultant

Top Contributor
I have sold domain names back....

my advise

1. be always polite
2. explain that it cost you money to recover the domain name
3. Sell them the domain name for something they can afford

I find that the best tactic is to sell fast and a low price....

Example: $500-$700...

I have done this with a few godaddy.com domain names in TDNAM... never in the Aussie mark.

Oz.

Top Contributor
I'm currently exploring this with people who contacted me many months ago about domains that they let lapsed and I "caught". But for very reasonable prices to cover expenses as SEO mentioned.
Don't like the chances though.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members