What's new

Duplicate Content Risks

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Domain Development - Duplicate Content Risks

Following some comments in another thread I thought I'd open up this new topic. Here is what has been already mentioned:

I'm assuming that you have your own protfolio of dozens if not hundreds of these minsites? Can I ask if you have run into any trouble with running Google AdSense on these duplicate content sites to date?

Whilst I agree that Google doesn't apply a duplicate content penalty, I'm more worried about an AdSense account ban, which some people do say can come about if you are only publishing duplicate content.

Yes if you rip content from some one else's site they can complain to Google direct and then you can be banned.

You will never rank well for a competitive term if you just rip content from websites which are more authority then your content.

It is amazing the amount of people who are looking for content for a site they will just go to Wikipedia and rip the whole thing and be like wow why is my site not ranking???

I mean if you site is less then 35% original it may be ok...

But yeah I would never steal content I work for a specific government client and they are all over people who steal their content I mean something like 400 sites steal content a year of this one site I work on, it is crazy.

I get a little tired of the SO-CALLED SEO experts that quote disinformation about duplicated content.
All the THOUSANDS of RSS fed sites and PARK PAGES are essentially duplicated content.
I would rather re-use verbatim an article on one of my minisites than use an articlespinner script that produces garbage. Or worse still the mindless drivel written by some 3rd world author where English is not their first language.

I wasn't asking about whether duplicate content doesn't ranks, I know it does, I use it myself, I was opening the discussion about the prospect of getting banned from Google AdSense (which how many minisites make money) with a largely duplicate content strategy.

Comments? Thoughts?

WG2010

Archived Member
I don't think using duplicate content on an Adsense website is an issue if you have the rights to the content. For example, news.com.au posts a lot of duplicate content which is syndicated from Reuters etc etc.

Of course, ranking for a specific piece of duplicate content (IMO) will be much harder but I would presume that isn't an issue for News.com.au because they're probably not trying to rank the majority of their articles because they have such a large amount of traffic.

On the other hand, the bigger players appear to be allowed to break as many Adsense rules as they like.

For example, you're not allowed to place pictures next to the Adsense in order to give the impression they are related yet Gumtree do this all on their pages.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8982/screenshot20101220at353.png

Other websites like OasisActive are plastered with pictures of guys/girls in suggestive poses. I love tits as much as the next guy but I wonder why they are allowed to get away with breaking the T&C like this.

Anyway.. a bit off track.

Personally, I use unique content on all of my websites whether they're solely for Adsense or not. I would never use content copied/re-written from elsewhere on the web for these sites.

I'm quite happy to spin content to use on websites like Hubpages/Squidoo etc etc. I continue to use unique content for EzineArticles but once it's published, I spin it 100 times and mass submit it to a couple thousand directories with AMR.

Next to useless for something as competitive as credit cards but it works well for longtail keywords that no-one else is targeting. And how do these article directories and websites such as Squidoo/Hubpages make money? They monetise all this shit/spun/duplicate content with Adsense!

Last edited:

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
"I'm quite happy to spin content to use on websites like Hubpages/Squidoo etc etc. I continue to use unique content for EzineArticles but once it's published, I spin it 100 times and mass submit it to a couple thousand directories with AMR."

can you expand on this a bit , i have a few article approved at ezine articles , are saying it's ok to spread them around and if so where ?

paz

Hi Spacey I think he was saying (didn't read closely) that he spins it i.e: changes it usually with a spinning script that uses a thesaurus to sub words out to make it seem unique...or at least MORE unique. Not sure how good Google is at sussing this out.

James

Top Contributor
People can file for a DCMA if you steal their content and it is possible to be banned if they annoy Google enough and the website is not a big publisher.

examples:
http://www.google.com/dmca.html

http://www.seologic.com/faq/dmca-notifications.php

I remember reading about it happening years ago, but really it is one of the risky areas...

The reason Gumtree and Oasis can bend the rules is because they are Premium Adsense publishers and they have different rules to the users on normal Adsense accounts.

Timmy

Banned
Hi Spacey I think he was saying (didn't read closely) that he spins it i.e: changes it usually with a spinning script that uses a thesaurus to sub words out to make it seem unique...or at least MORE unique. Not sure how good Google is at sussing this out.

No affiliate link... I've had some recent success spinning my articles with Jetsubmitter2.com

Use a gmail addy and you'll be sweet. I've been getting some quick rankings on long tail local stuff even with the standard article posts/domains.

coreyg

Top Contributor
unfortunately each poster is talking about different issues & confusion is the result...

if you read and follow Google's Terms of Service, not such ban would occur

Cheers
Corey

Last edited:

djuqa

Top Contributor
unfortunately each poster is talking about different issues & confusion is the result...

if you read and follow Google's Terms of Service, not such ban would occur

Cheers
Corey
Exactly, Most are talking about cross purposes.

1/ Using Duplicate content from an article directory is NOT STEALING (james).
What is being talked about is using content that is approved for re-distribution by the original author.

2/ Using Article Spinners only result in Crap content usually. Weriting is ok, but not using automated generators.

3/ There is nothing at all in Adsense T&C that requires all articles on a website to be unique. What is states is Websites that are duplicated may be penalised.
What that means is ALL THE content( Template, modules, articles, ads i.e. totally duplicated )

Last edited:

WG2010

Archived Member
Posted an example of how spun crap ranks well but removed it. Send me a PM if you want to see, probably not the smartest thing to post it in an open forum.

Last edited:

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
not every website has adsense , for me it was just about spreading my already approved articles i have at ezinearticles getting more exposure , i guess i was asking if i can submit them elsewhere or are most articles needing to be original , i have no problem reusing my own content on my own sites, i wonder if my ip address tells google it is the same author ?

WG2010

Archived Member
not every website has adsense , for me it was just about spreading my already approved articles i have at ezinearticles getting more exposure , i guess i was asking if i can submit them elsewhere or are most articles needing to be original , i have no problem reusing my own content on my own sites, i wonder if my ip address tells google it is the same author ?

It's your content, you own the copyright and you can do whatever you want with it. Some sites will accept duplicate content, others won't and some will say they won't but accept it anyway.

By publishing your articles on EZA, you're giving permission for others to publish it on their websites as well provided they include the author box (where you drop your links). That's part of their T&C for allowing you to publish your articles on the EZA website.

Some article directories say that any content you submit to them must be unique but I have no issue getting spun articles published. I'm not going to give them unique content when they only provide me with a simple backlink and not any traffic like EZA does.

If it's a quality site that will bring me traffic, I will submit a unique article. Once that article is indexed, I will spin it to submit to the crappy ones as I'm only interested in getting a backlink from them. This isn't very time consuming and you can mass submit to a couple hundred to a couple thousand directories. Works great when going for longtail keywords.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
can you expand on this a bit , i have a few article approved at ezine articles , are saying it's ok to spread them around and if so where ?
A number of people just submit their articles unchanged to hundreds of directories because they are just looking to build back links.

Some people also take the time to spin an article 100 times before they submit it to 100 different directories to also make sure the are indexed by google, who otherwise considers the same article duplicate content.

WorGeneral said:
If it's a quality site that will bring me traffic, I will submit a unique article. Once that article is indexed, I will spin it to submit to the crappy ones as I'm only interested in getting a backlink from them. This isn't very time consuming and you can mass submit to a couple hundred to a couple thousand directories. Works great when going for longtail keywords.
What software do you use for this mass spin and submission process?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member