What's new

dressupgamesforgirls.com.au

HansonBro

Any suggestions for a value on dressupgamesforgirls.com.au? Regged it after seeing the .com sold for USD $15k on dnjournal. I recently developed it into a website. Thoughts appreciated and thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Shaun

Top Contributor
In terms of search volume it's not much in the realm of game search volumes.

I have a few game related domains and the ad revenue for girl sites vs boy sites is nowhere near comparable. Boy sites x10 earnings.

You are also competing against many WELL ESTABLISHED US sites which are always tough to beat even with an exact match.

So based on the effort needed to put in to this name to get it to #1, the low search volume and low CPC ad revenue opportunities... reg fee.

I have also seen this domain available for reg months ago and decided against it for the above mentioned reasons.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Personally I don't think the name is worth anything. Will need to be producing revenue to be be saleable, games sites generally sell on low multiples also (typically a years revenue from what I have seen).

In my view registering a name because something got a good price in another extension is not a good strategy. Should be looking at keyword popularity/quality etc (proper analysis) and getting the best name you can get that is available rather than hoping to mimic perhaps "lucky" sales in other extensions.

Last edited:

HansonBro

Thanks guys - your insights are appreciated. Did not know "boy" sites make x10 earnings or that game sites sell on low multiples. That's good to know. Well, at least I got 2 years for the adsense earnings > $24 to make the reg worth my while. Cheers. Matt.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I think reg fee is a bit harsh. 3,600 exacts/month and if you get just a few inbound links you'd hit the number 1 spot without too much prob. That should give a regulat modest income I woiuld have thought.

Questionable whether you'll get a decent return on your time though - obviously you've put a fair bit of effort into the site (great work btw)

Honan

Top Contributor
Great web site, Congratulations
How did you make that site?
I like girlsdressupgames .com .au as a domain name better

HansonBro

Thanks for the positive feedback on the website. It took me almost all of Sat to set it up.

@i sold grandma, it's running on Wordpress using an arcade plugin (http://netreview.de/myarcadeblogpro) and a customised theme. I thought about registering girlsdressupgames, but its 6.5k exact monthly searches vs dressupgamesforgirls 50k exact searches made me decide against it.

Honan

Top Contributor
Thanks for the info about the WP plugin, Hanson
I never trust the numbers in the keyword tool

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think reg fee is a bit harsh. 3,600 exacts/month and if you get just a few inbound links you'd hit the number 1 spot without too much prob. That should give a regulat modest income I woiuld have thought.

Questionable whether you'll get a decent return on your time though - obviously you've put a fair bit of effort into the site (great work btw)

I think once again you are making it sound easier than it really is to get rankings in Google.

No.1 spot isn't going to be had "with a few inbound links" and no real work. It is going to take time and effort to get it onto the first page and personally I wouldn't be assuming no.1 is likely, there is a stack of competition from overseas sites. I asked you once before for examples of domainers you know who have achieved no.1 ranking on relatively competitive terms and from what I recall you didn't give any examples. It is a difficult thing to achieve.

Having said that here is a bit of opinion from me about likely revenue from a name like this. I've done a bit of research on this area recently,

Games site like this generally earn something a bit over 1 cent per unique. I think sites specifically targeted at girls are likely to do somewhat worse. Personally I suspect a site like this might be able to make half a cent per unique just looking at the adwords bids. It might be better if the site was taking ads from a couple of different ad networks which is what the big games sites do, I think that might improve revenue by 50% or so from games sites I have seen for sale.

As is though we have a market for the main term of 3,600 visitors a month. Now if you really can get number 1 spot that is probably 1,500-2,000 visitors a month, though I think somewhere lower is likely which is probably going to be a few hundred uniques a month.

So top spot is 3600 X $0.005 = $18 a month in ad revenue roughly
Lower rankings more like $1-$2 per month (300 * $0.005).

Then you got your expenses,

Buying a template - maybe $50
Hosting - Maybe $2 a month assume you are sharing an account with a handful of other sites.
Domain registration - $10 per year
Logo design say ~$50
Value of you time - $X

I think in the first 12 months revenue is perhaps going to be $20-$200 depending on how well you can rank.

Expenses are likely ~$120 or so in the first year assuming you aren't pricing in anything for you time.

The chance of the site really being worthwhile is very low in my view. Maybe it can be ranked for other terms as well, but even then is it worth it? The average games site sells on about a year revenue because building one is so easy and it is totally dependant on Google rankings and PPC ads. So what kind of capital is being built?

In my view the problem is that the term is nowhere near popular enough given the value of the traffic to be worthwhile building out or nor is a games site developer likely to buy it for the same reasons. The search numbers sound ok in isolation but the value of the traffic to a games site is very low. It needs immense traffic to work.

For the .com version the number of searches is maybe 15 times higher, even then I'd question whether the person who paid 15k really knows what they are doing, they haven't even edited out the generic text in the template (see below) and the site doesn't look to be ranking at all (I checked the first 10 pages).

Welcome to phpArcadeScript v4.0!

This is the new section of your script. You can add/edit/delete news items from your admin control panel under the MANAGE NEWS section.

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
I think once again you are making it sound easier than it really is to get rankings in Google.
No.1 spot isn't going to be had "with a few inbound links" and no real work. It is going to take time and effort to get it onto the first page and personally I wouldn't be assuming no.1 is likely, there is a stack of competition from overseas sites. I asked you once before for examples of domainers you know who have achieved no.1 ranking on relatively competitive terms and from what I recall you didn't give any examples. It is a difficult thing to achieve.

Honestly it would be relatively easy to get this to the number 1 spot. It really would. Here's a few reasons why:

1) Google give a MASSIVE advantage to exact match domains. Most domainers don't fully recognise what this means and traditional web designers don't have a clue. Even SEO's often overlook this.
2) The exact match search term phrase is a 5-worder. Rare for this sort of volume. Whilst generally with domains we say the shorter/less words the better, for SEO the opposite is true as the competition will generally not focus on all 5 words
3) The competition is mainly from o/s (almost exclusively). Again Google's bias towards .au domains for Australian searches will give this domain a big ranking boost.

Examples...

DebitCard.com.au
Photographers.com.au
FixedHomeLoans.com.au
CreditCheck.com.au
DrivingLessons.com.au
Hairdressing.com.au

Anyway talk is cheap - Matt if you want to PM me, I'll show you how to get to number 1 within 2 weeks with minimal effort.

Snoopy, rest of your post is spot on.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Anyway talk is cheap - Matt if you want to PM me, I'll show you how to get to number 1 within 2 weeks with minimal effort.

Snoopy, rest of your post is spot on.

The acid test is where it will actually rank, so lets look at this again in a couple of months and see how it has gone.

DavidL

Top Contributor
BTW just had a squizz at some of the competition & spotted this fully developed and SEO-ed website - dressupcookinggames.com! WTF!

Shaun

Top Contributor
Snoopy,

I have a games site with around 60k visitors per month (65% Au traffic), its a very good two word generic term which is not quite #1.

I have spent a lot of money and continue to do so in SEOing the site and I'm currently rank between 2-4. It's not that easy to get #1. This is the biggest challenge to get the #1 spot I have ever had. US sites are well established. Although a 5 word domain should be much easier and less competition in this particular area of games due to the poor search volume.

Looking back at my Adsense earnings CPC's (monthly averages) can be from 14 cents a click to as low as 2 cents a click with a CTR of around 6-8%.

I agree with most of your analysis except sale price. A great game name, which is #1, which has been #1 for a sustained period of time is worth in excess of 1 x earnings.

Value it - a generic name games site which has been #1 for a period of 2 years, which earns $30k a year in Adsense, which has traffic consistently of 100k a month, surely you would value this more than $30k???

snoopy

Top Contributor
I agree with most of your analysis except sale price. A great game name, which is #1, which has been #1 for a sustained period of time is worth in excess of 1 x earnings.

Value it - a generic name games site which has been #1 for a period of 2 years, which earns $30k a year in Adsense, which has traffic consistently of 100k a month, surely you would value this more than $30k???

This is what I have seen looking at flippa, I only looked at a few sales,

Here is an example,

http://flippa.com/auctions/90926/Highly-profitable-Arcade-Games-Site-Alexa-10k-885--netprofitday-

That one looks to have been sold on under 6 months revenue. Actually about 4 months.

As far as the domain goes personally I don't think people will pay a premium for a generic name unless the domain is actually worth something. If it is on kidsgamesonline.com then I think people will pay a higher price, but if it is on on something registered in the last few years or a name that whilst generic hold no values of its own I don't think people will pay any more than if it were on a made up name.

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
This is what I have seen looking at flippa, I only looked at a few sales,

Here is an example,

http://flippa.com/auctions/90926/Highly-profitable-Arcade-Games-Site-Alexa-10k-885--netprofitday-

That one looks to have been sold on under 6 months revenue. Actually about 4 months.

Wow. Why on earth would you sell it for 4 months revenue? Doesn't make sense to me?

Actually looking at the analytics, only 12% of traffic is coming from SE's (and I think that includes CPC). Most is coming from paid ads or referrals (some of which may be paid too I guess)

That's the key - no mention of the advertising bill....

snoopy

Top Contributor
Wow. Why on earth would you sell it for 4 months revenue? Doesn't make sense to me?

Actually looking at the analytics, only 12% of traffic is coming from SE's (and I think that includes CPC). Most is coming from paid ads or referrals (some of which may be paid too I guess)

That's the key - no mention of the advertising bill....

I think about 20% is from S/E and direct navigation (returning visitors). It is a low quality games site but still the better stuff only looks to be getting 12 months revenue from what I saw (versus 4 months for this).

His advertising spend is stated, $5000/per month. $27k/mo was a net profit figure.

In regards to the general question, why would someone sell for 4 months revenue, or to take the question further 12 months. In my view sites like these are a bit like running a real world shop. You've got a lot of risk and work involved in getting ranked, and someone is always trying to out do you, you've also get hundreds of competing sites and very low loyalty.

Then you've got a tonne of traffic but it is very low quality. He is running two servers (stress!), buying links, other seo work, buying ads, managing 8-10 different ad networks etc, scripting (10k spent). It is a day job. From the ad,

"but I am not doing this project as my main income. I also do "offline business" which is running in summertime, so I forced my energy in this hobby- project over the wintertime (the last 8 months) and i have to focus on my offline biz now. "

Now it would be easier if most of the traffic was not paid traffic (and obviously worth a higher multiple) but to some degree it probably needs the link exchanges to get ranked and the SEO work, redesigning the site, learning new techniques, keeping up with changes etc is probably never going to end. How much would you pay for a site whose almost entire existence depends on where Google ranks it?

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members