What's new

dot luxury

findtim

Top Contributor
I've seen many posts on these TLD's recently and is there something I am missing? is it the best online con EVER at @ 185K entry or am I not seeing the future?

history says they will DIE, I did defend .Melbourne in another post as I felt it was more focused then many others like these.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Think they will have trouble getting usage. What sort of company would actually want the term as their extension?

James

Top Contributor
I do not think this will get traction, because luxury brands want to build their own name. They do not want to be on the same thing as every other branded site. I have worked with some luxury brands in the past and they do not even want to be associated with deal sites or deal frenzy style things.

findtim

Top Contributor
i agree with snoopy and james, these companies want to distance themselves from this type of thing/marketing.

i just can't see rolex.luxury

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I do not think this will get traction, because luxury brands want to build their own name. They do not want to be on the same thing as every other branded site. I have worked with some luxury brands in the past and they do not even want to be associated with deal sites or deal frenzy style things.

Absolutely, because any form of advertising or association that cheapens their brand - takes away from the luxury image.

That's why premium wineries release excess stock under different labels or cleanskins - because they don't want to devalue their prestige brand image.

As an example, if you have to use '.awesome' to brand your site, you're probably not genuinely 'awesome'. By the same token, a luxury image is earned, not bought - which is why this extension is so ridiculous.

Honan

Top Contributor
I've seen many posts on these TLD's recently and is there something I am missing? is it the best online con EVER at @ 185K entry or am I not seeing the future?

history says they will DIE, I did defend .Melbourne in another post as I felt it was more focused then many others like these.

tim
Tim
It is not $185k entry
More like $850k by the time everything is included
There is no history of 1000 new TLDs. So history is not saying they die.
I got no idea what will happen.
The current kerfuffle about .music is interesting to me

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I sent this email to a friend who asked me about the new extensions and their potential as an investment:

http://www.webmechanix.com/how-to-react-to-new-generic-top-level-domains

I'll admit, I'm surprised there has been as many registrations as there has been.

That said, I suspect if the extensions don't sell at least 50,000+ they will be losing money.

So far of the 1500 new extensions about to launch only 3 of them have presold more than 50,000...

Though there about 25 that have presold 10,000+.

So if you are assume there is a good chance that these 25 will also manage to get to 50,000+ registrations at some point in the future you could argue these new extensions aren't a complete failure...

Though all in all, I suspect 98% of these new extensions are going to lose money for their owners!

Not exactly a compelling investment case...

helloworld

Top Contributor
C'mon Snoopy. Don't underestimate the egos of artists. If they can get there name instead of having to register .cc then they will.

snoopy

Top Contributor
C'mon Snoopy. Don't underestimate the egos of artists. If they can get there name instead of having to register .cc then they will.

Why would they care about having .music at the end?

Do musicians commonly have domains with "music" in it? I think they will see johnsmith.music as significantly worse than johnsmithmusic.com. The latter is bad enough already.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
it could all depend on who wins .music, one fellow who has been trying for a number years before all this new gtld stuff has stated he wants to turn .music into a wikipedia style of 'extension' …… however i am sure free.music will appear at some stage

snoopy

Top Contributor
360music.com.au comes to mind. I'm sure there are others.

So how does that make for a good extension, if you can think of one example of someone using music in a domain? I think you could take the market for people using "music" in a domain and divide that by 100, and that is the type of market that is going to exist for ".music" domains.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Ok. So if Justin Bieber or whomever goes and gets a .music extension you don't think others will follow suit? Of course they will. I'm not saying they will be more popular than .coms but I do think these particular domains will be used. Deal with it

Shane

Top Contributor
Ok. So if Justin Bieber or whomever goes and gets a .music extension you don't think others will follow suit? Of course they will. I'm not saying they will be more popular than .coms but I do think these particular domains will be used. Deal with it

Funnily enough his website is justinbiebermusic.com

The .music extension probably has more chance than most of the others, but I'd still say it won't be a major commercial success for the owners.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Ok. So if Justin Bieber or whomever goes and gets a .music extension you don't think others will follow suit? Of course they will.

No, one celebrity isn't going to change anything for a domain extension. This isn't something desirable like shoes or perfume, is is just a web address.

It has all been done in the past and others don't follow, like overstock and .co, mta and .info, xbox and .mobi, bbc and .tv, delicious and .us.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member