What's new

Domains for Appraisal - thanks

orange

Hi all

Please meet the family, I would be curious as to what an expert/experienced web guru thinks about possible values and which domain to promote and best content on each.

I have always tried to register domains that were an investment but may have lost the plot somewhere and need some advice from a different angle.

cheers
Paul

workspot.com.au
ebuys.com.au
bookspot.com.au
booksell.com.au
goldfinder.com.au
freetakeback.com.au
usaparts.com.au
localpawn.com.au
rateyourmechanic.com.au

filmmycar.com
clubfaq.com
booksrecycler.com
chevworld.com
comicsell.com
opalsell.com
bullionandinvestment.com
australiancoinvarieties.com

snoopy

Top Contributor
$0/all.

Wouldn't spend time developing any of them, the names themselves are going to add no value to a project in my view.

Would be doing *a lot* of research about domain values before buying anything further.

orange

$0/all.

Wouldn't spend time developing any of them, the names themselves are going to add no value to a project in my view.

Would be doing *a lot* of research about domain values before buying anything further.

thanks for taking the time to do all that

segator

Top Contributor
Try this out;

Join the affiliate program for your domain ebuys.com.au with the big USA site Buy.com (it averages more than 1200 sells from AU per week).

orange

Try this out;

Join the affiliate program for your domain ebuys.com.au with the big USA site Buy.com (it averages more than 1200 sells from AU per week).

now that's advice i can try, seems helping someone is confusing to some.

cheers

stoscano

Try this out;

Would still require either a good amount of marketing or some very very lucky searchs.

orange

He's not helping you, it is ill conceived advice in my view.

Going by the time stamps and taking off 2 minutes to find and read the topic you evaluated my 17 domains in under 3 minutes and you harass anyone who offers advice.

Sorry I do not know you and you might be really helpful to others but do not be surprised I value any comments and will use them as I see fit.

Please just comment about the valuations and not others helping me, it might put some folks off.

If eBay sold bay windows or if twitter was a fellow with a chicken forum what would they be worth?

I think all domains have a value even if it isn't always so straight forward and will always take a lot of research and development.

Hopefully I can prove you wrong about my $0 domains.

thanks
Paul M.

Victor

If eBay sold bay windows or if twitter was a fellow with a chicken forum what would they be worth?
I think all domains have a value even if it isn't always so straight forward and will always take a lot of research and development.

So how are you going to develop your domains, how much are you going to spend on this and how much on marketing to make them worth more than $0?

Are you asking for an appraisal on a business linked to a domain name or an appraisal on the domain name?

johno69

Top Contributor

I agree with snoopy, all worth nothing as domains. Will add nothing to any project.

If you create a kickass website and use these domains then it's the site that has the value, not these domains.

Seems you were set on someone giving a valuation you already had in mind.

Best of luck with them all.

PS. it only takes 2 minutes to see something is not good for anyone with experience.

SAXIE

I actual think a little critisim is good, I have recieved bad comments regarding the domain name I have bought from snoopy and other fellow domainers, I believe u learn from your mistakes and though the critisims, u will gain valuable knowledge which helped me in decisions when dealing with picking the right domain name to invest.

segator

Top Contributor
Late last year Buy.com were running trials using similar category the domain names part of their affiliate, marketing and expansion program; they created templates to which approved domains in other countries would be incorporated together with SEO marketing features to assist those domains to be promoted on the web. Buy.com would control the optimisation and products while the domain owner have access to place orders and be a delivery point in the country.

Member Paul "Orange" has asked for suggestions and possible avenues for research for any of the listed domains.
I gather most members appreciate and would like to provide suggestions to colleagues hoping their suggestion could assist them further.

My comments are only directed to Paul "Orange".

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Going by the time stamps and taking off 2 minutes to find and read the topic you evaluated my 17 domains in under 3 minutes and you harass anyone who offers advice.

Professional domainers scan lists like these https://www.netfleet.com.au/auction/snapper in a couple of minutes, your list took seconds.

I'm not having a go at you, just explaining some home truths.

If you want to learn then consider the following:

OpalSell - the good thing about this domain is that it is about opals and they are in demand.

The bad is that people who want to buy opals type into google "buy opals". Miners who want to sell opals would type "sell opals".

You can build a website to sell opals on any domain and it can be successful but a sensible keyword rich domain gives you help in a number of ways.

Your domains are easily replaced by similar domains and are therefore not scarce. Scarcity helps with value.

Most sectors have apex domains ie opals. Then you have secondary domains like buyopals, opalpendants, opalrings, cheapopals, blackopals etc. Then there are another level such as opalsbuy, ringsopals, cheapestopalsthissideoflightningridge etc.

You can find out where your domains stand by entering the apex keyword/s into the Google Adwords Keyword Tool https://adwords.google.com.au/ and seeing the search demand numbers.

You call your domains your "family". This means you are emotionally attached to some very average names. This is a common issue that nearly all domainers have had to face. Letting them drop will show you are learning.

Nearly every domainer has spent money on shitty domains. It's just the tuition fee you pay to learn. You are lucky your portfolio is very small, others haven't been so lucky. You can see the names these learners drop everyday here https://www.netfleet.com.au/auction/snapper. Typically 500 to 1,000 get dropped and maybe 20 - 40 get picked up.

neddy

Top Contributor
Nearly every domainer has spent money on shitty domains. It's just the tuition fee you pay to learn.

So true. And even experienced domainers still buy crap occasionally (I put myself into that category!).

Orange, I think Bacon Farmer's post is a good one. He has taken the time to give an explanation which I think is well worth taking on board.

And as others have said (and some very bluntly perhaps), the names as they are probably hold little or minimal value.

But a couple of them could definitely have potential if you developed them into functioning sites e.g. goldfinder.com.au

Good luck to you - and please keep asking questions. :)

orange

So how are you going to develop your domains, how much are you going to spend on this and how much on marketing to make them worth more than $0?

Are you asking for an appraisal on a business linked to a domain name or an appraisal on the domain name?

Thanks, I see its easier to say they are worth $0 than to just make up a value based on the amount of vowels and how rare a word or two is.

My marketing and development budget is limited to personal projects right now.

I should of stated right from the start over half of these domains I listed are personal projects (not for sale atm) and I expect will never amount to any more than I put into them.

Not having much experience about selling a domain for it's valued price I have assumed (making an ass out of u and me, sorry) that it was the content of the domain that made the full potential value.

I now see I am thinking business and domain name values and not just that raw abcde value.

Off topic I know but when they say eg: something.com sells for 60k that's just a right to put content on that domain and make more than 60k or do they want to flip the domain for a profit with no content? (prob a newbie question) :p

Professional domainers scan lists like these https://www.netfleet.com.au/auction/snapper in a couple of minutes, your list took seconds.

I'm not having a go at you, just explaining some home truths.

If you want to learn then consider the following:

OpalSell - the good thing about this domain is that it is about opals and they are in demand.

The bad is that people who want to buy opals type into google "buy opals". Miners who want to sell opals would type "sell opals".

You can build a website to sell opals on any domain and it can be successful but a sensible keyword rich domain gives you help in a number of ways.

Your domains are easily replaced by similar domains and are therefore not scarce. Scarcity helps with value.

Most sectors have apex domains ie opals. Then you have secondary domains like buyopals, opalpendants, opalrings, cheapopals, blackopals etc. Then there are another level such as opalsbuy, ringsopals, cheapestopalsthissideoflightningridge etc.

You can find out where your domains stand by entering the apex keyword/s into the Google Adwords Keyword Tool https://adwords.google.com.au/ and seeing the search demand numbers.

You call your domains your "family". This means you are emotionally attached to some very average names. This is a common issue that nearly all domainers have had to face. Letting them drop will show you are learning.

Nearly every domainer has spent money on shitty domains. It's just the tuition fee you pay to learn. You are lucky your portfolio is very small, others haven't been so lucky. You can see the names these learners drop everyday here https://www.netfleet.com.au/auction/snapper. Typically 500 to 1,000 get dropped and maybe 20 - 40 get picked up.

I do have opals to sell so its all I could register at the time and it did fit in nicely with all my other sell two word domains.

But your saying buyopals is a better domain than opalsell and would be a better base to start because it gets a domain match for Google searches and not content match? - sorry I might be babbling. :D

Next newbie question - Google matches your domains content or the domain name? This is something that I have never considered.

So registering goldsilvermoneybullionsharesinvestfind dot com au has more google search value than any one or two and three word domains?

Just send topic links as I am sure this has been discussed many times and I can research :)

Thank you all who have replied

cheers

findtim

Top Contributor
with hundreds of domans dropping everyday i generally spend only 10 minutes a day most times less.

11.30am i spend 5 minutes max checking whats going on as we head to close, 2.30pm i check what i will be looking at tommorrow at 11.30am

if i'm interested then i'll spend more time on research.

snoopy's like your mother in law when you have your first child, nod your head, take the advice and then do what you want when she goes home.... but there actually might be some gold in there !

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Good advice by Bacon Farmer

Next newbie question - Google matches your domains content or the domain name? This is something that I have never considered.

So registering goldsilvermoneybullionsharesinvestfind dot com au has more google search value than any one or two and three word domains?

Not quite, he was referring to "Exact Match Domains" such as buyopals.com where the domain matches a popular search term. SellOpals.com would be another example - but not OpalSell.com so much as that is clumsy because the keywords are back to front

Stuffing every possible keyword into the domain no good.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo