What's new

Domains and the App Economy

chris

Top Contributor
I know this topic has come up a few times, so when I came across this post I thought I'd share it on DNT.

If you talk to people about what will influence the importance of domains, one common answer is social media (eg. promoting facebook.com/ACME rather than acme.com), but the other is "apps".

This article talks about users becoming less reliant on the browser and more reliant on apps.

Check out the comments too, I like this one:

None of my friends know my cell # because its in their contacts section of their phone ….but when u mass market to people… a powerful 800 # is still important

http://thisdomainnameisforsale.com/the-appeconomy-and-domains/

Cheers,
Chris

Billy01

Top Contributor
Thanks Chris

Great post. Could go on about the merits of this for weeks but being a domain forum I'll let it go through to the keeper.

Apps are Appening

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I know this topic has come up a few times, so when I came across this post I thought I'd share it on DNT.

If you talk to people about what will influence the importance of domains, one common answer is social media (eg. promoting facebook.com/ACME rather than acme.com), but the other is "apps".

This article talks about users becoming less reliant on the browser and more reliant on apps.

Check out the comments too, I like this one:

http://thisdomainnameisforsale.com/the-appeconomy-and-domains/

Cheers,
Chris

Link is not working ?

findtim

Top Contributor
atom thanks for the new link.

well i must be the diehard ! i think apps will expand but will not take over.

domains will remain as a good source of income for businesses for a long time to come.

people who write these articles are thinking to take on the world, but most GDP comes from local markets and i can't see the "dubbo dentist" having to go get an app so he can be found !

and i can't see google dying because yellowpages brings out an app !

by the way as most should know i do not like yellowpages and there sales team but one of my clients has recently sent me there "promises" of what they can do for her and i just can not believe the lies they tell !!!

she would probably spend 20K p/a with them as its a large business but they have sent here ( and i have it, but i can't give it over sorry) lies lies lies

back to the subject.... apps are good, but won't take over searching.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
I haven't read the article yet, but I do know my app gets more traffic than the website that feeds it the data.

yes you have a great app, but back to, my original point of there will still be a HUGE market of businesses not needing one.

the other point is how did people find your app? via your website !

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
the other point is how did people find your app? via your website !

No that's not the case.

Many found the app via the app store and have used it for months without realising there is even a website that offers the same data.

I do have links back to the website from within the app, but that doesn't make any difference.

The big thing is, you must go where the users are, you can't expect them to come to you.

findtim

Top Contributor
not being rude just informative i hope. i went to find your app at the app store and couldn't, maybe its because i don't play poker but i did try before i posted.

i typed in "poker" , "poker games" and not in the top50, i typed in "poker venues" and nothing came up, "poker australia" ( which by the way i wouldn't normally but i was try hard to find your app) and only 6 came up and not yours.

and then BAM, "poker leagues" you rank 2nd, so i guess i just don'tknow the terms, the only reason i typed that is i remember you called it that at the sydney meetup... see i ws actually listening LOL.

which brings us back to the topic ! getting your app to rank on itunes, there's a whole new market there.

i don't believe websites are dead, just look at how many favourites you have and ask yourself how you would manage that many apps.

Even so you would still surf the net for info

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
Poker is a difficult term to rank highly for. But glad you found it eventually.

johno i'm keeping this public instead of PM as i think its all good knowledge that i am NOT a gambler and thus do not know the terms that may be used to find an app.

but also i hope it helps you in what people like me may search for ? or not search for?

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
but also i hope it helps you in what people like me may search for ? or not search for?

tim

Thanks Tim, as you mentioned, my target audience would generally know the terms to search for.

Apple limit the keywords you can add so it makes it difficult in some markets.

findtim

Top Contributor
i have heard that there are seo type techniques you can use in the app store, i have no clue what but i have heard.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members