What's new

Domain Name Valuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainexpert

Archived Member
Okay this is a million dollar question? How do we value domain names? Obviously, as a owner of 50+ Premium Domain Names, I would like to rate them high, but how do we know what is the right value for a domain name? There are many sites that give out values, but they are all for .com and are not always accurate for .com.au

Is there any authority in Australia or licensed valuers for domain names in Australia?

Let me know people.

findtim

Top Contributor
It's worth whatever you are willing to buy/sell it for.

+1 but most likely its worth what you can sell it for.

its also worth what you can make off it in the meantime, many domains just aren't for sale as they generate good passive income.

there is no formula, just educated guesses, hope and connections.

tim

Shane

Top Contributor
I don't think there's a definitive way to value a domain. Each transaction just depends on how keen the seller is to sell and how keen the buyer is to buy. The expired auctions are slightly different of course.

Don't waste your time trying to value them. If you go through a few pages of the appraisal section of the forum you will find that out very quickly! :)

findtim

Top Contributor
I don't think there's a definitive way to value a domain. Each transaction just depends on how keen the seller is to sell and how keen the buyer is to buy. The expired auctions are slightly different of course.

Don't waste your time trying to value them. If you go through a few pages of the appraisal section of the forum you will find that out very quickly! :)

exactly, many a long drawn out fight has happened over a domain names value, i think the best way is to watch the drops everyday, write down what you think and then see what happens, you'll be amazed at how wrong you can be.
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
exactly, many a long drawn out fight has happened over a domain names value, i think the best way is to watch the drops everyday, write down what you think and then see what happens, you'll be amazed at how wrong you can be.
tim

Most people use metrics to value names, keyword popularity and traffic value, it is part science and part art.

The columns in Drops daily email speaks volumes about domain values,

"Search volume (AU)"
"Average CPC"
"Links in"

An important consideration is that outside of the auction environment a lot of sales are very low probability (& the majority that don't sell get no publicity) so there is a lot of bad/irrelevant data in the mix as well.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Is there any authority in Australia or licensed valuers for domain names in Australia?

Let me know people.

The problem with paying for valuations is that the companies offering it have a strong incentive to give unrealistic valuations, ie a tell someone their worthless domain is worth several thousand and they'll probably make for a good repeat customer. As someone else once said, if they told the truth people would ask for their money back.

You won't find a realistic paid appraisal service anywhere, not just Australia.

chris

Top Contributor
Okay this is a million dollar question? How do we value domain names? Obviously, as a owner of 50+ Premium Domain Names, I would like to rate them high, but how do we know what is the right value for a domain name? There are many sites that give out values, but they are all for .com and are not always accurate for .com.au

Hi, they're not always accurate for .com's either ;)

The automated tools usually use some basic metrics, you can apply a similar approach using AU data.

https://www.dntrade.com.au/how-to-value-a-domain-name.php

I would say keyword metrics and past sales are typically a good indication of value.

You can also post in the domain appraisal section.

Let me know people.

If you really want someone's professional opinion, I'd look at finding someone you think has experience and getting in touch with them direct.

Cheers,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.