What's new

Domain Name Holdings and Divorce

acheeva

Top Contributor
I have been involved as a consultant and successfully argued a $Nil value
However the success was more attributed to a lack of understanding than a reality (no mention was ever made of any valuation sites)
The case was settled and did not end up in court
The $Nil value was based on the P&L statement (i.e. the parking revenue does not cover renewal costs)
The developed websites were valued at 2x net revenue, excluding the imputed owners wages

snoopy

Top Contributor
I have been involved as a consultant and successfully argued a $Nil value
However the success was more attributed to a lack of understanding than a reality (no mention was ever made of any valuation sites)
The case was settled and did not end up in court
The $Nil value was based on the P&L statement (i.e. the parking revenue does not cover renewal costs)
The developed websites were valued at 2x net revenue, excluding the imputed owners wages

The wife is probably not silly, she knows those domains aren't paying the bills, probably the opposite by the sounds of it.

I bet the typical part time domainer has been telling his wife for years how they will make money with domains, then when it comes to divorce she probably thinks "Umm yeah I think he can keep those domains, I hope a nil value gets assigned to them, otherwise I might get stuck with some myself".

nt81

Top Contributor
Her stuck with domains? Not going to happen.

More likely, it would be valued financially. If you are domaining professionally it will show up in your finances and her lawyers will be able to go back through that and make a valuation based on any income it has drawn.

I very much doubt that she is going to become the registrant of any domains unless they were part of something she was physically involved in.

Good luck with the divorce.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
If they've contributed to your taxable income in a meaningful way through earned revenue (parking, developed sites etc), they'll likely be considered assets and assigned a value.

If there is a history of domain sales contributing to your taxable income in a meaningful way, they'll likely be considered assets and assigned a value.

If there is a very evident high worth to the domains (super premium domains that are easily recognisable as being valuable), they'll likely be considered assets and assigned a value. Original purchase price may be used to establish a baseline/starting point for valuation.

I've never been through a divorce, so I can only make assumptions, but I imagine that it would ultimately be a question of magnitude and what other assets, finances etc are being negotiated. Any item that has significantly contributed to income or has a clear high value is likely to be included in negotiations (depending on any prenuptial agreements etc).

findtim

Top Contributor
if i get divorced i'll take helena for half the retail value of all these bloody cookbooks we have that never get used.

the value of a domain portfolio in a divorce is equal to a garage sale on a rainy day.

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
if i get divorced i'll take helena for half the retail value of all these bloody cookbooks we have that never get used.

the value of a domain portfolio in a divorce is equal to a garage sale on a rainy day.

tim

I have sooo many cookbooks! My partner and I both love cooking, but she doesn't share my passion for domains and other nerdery :D In a previous career, some years ago now, I worked as a cook.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I have sooo many cookbooks! My partner and I both love cooking, but she doesn't share my passion for domains and other nerdery :D In a previous career, some years ago now, I worked as a cook.

In fact I bought another bookshelf a couple of weeks ago, because I was running out of space for my Italian cookbooks :eek:

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
If they are .net.au's FindTim will most likely wish to buy all of them from you, any leftovers should be offered to snoopy, good luck with it all

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member