What's new

Domain Mentoring

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone would consider mentoring newcomers on some good purchases that might be available on the aftermarket. I know it's a competitive industry but there is quite a collaborative spirit here at dntrade.

Example: There are a lot of questions newcomers have about the advantages/disadvantages of hand registering vs picking up on the aftermarket which is always met with some good solid advice. Perhaps we could go one step further and point out some semi-decent domains that are available (that aren't in your area(s) of interest)... would it work?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Some ideas most will know already.. But for newbies... these GENERALISED tips so you dont blow too much on crap at the start of your domaining life.

1. forget hyphens
2. buy only .com.au ( not .net.au unless you have the .com.au equivalent also)
3. Quality is better than quantity. Spend $1000 on a great aftermarket name not 50 hand registered poor quality names you have to renew each 2 years if you dont have the budget
4. Dictionary words only ..not any made up words unless you have $millions to market it.
5. Google search the word and see who uses it as a keyword https://adwords.google.com.au/o/Tar...&__c=1000000000&ideaRequestType=KEYWORD_IDEAS
6. See what the .com equivalent is doing. Is it for sale, is it a live site.. hows it going
7. Be prepared to sell it for a 50% ROI in 1 - 2 years and no more unless its a diamond you got by luck.
8. Make a decent offer to the owner dont waste their time. Bid what you think you can pay. Most players are pretty wise these days and dont reply to low offers so you lose your chance of a negotiation sometimes.
9. Have a plan for the name. Would it make a viable online business? Would it be a viable investment for somone else? Are any players in that industry buying names ?
10. In terms of buying we buy names we can sell for no less than $1000. Its simply not worth the time and hassle to sell for less but if you had the time hand registering for $20 and flipping later for $200 is still an awesome Return on investment. so maybe thats also a good model for you to run with if you dont have the larger budget to buy better quality names. mmmmm Register 1000 hand registsred so so names at $20 is $20,000 and sell them all for $100 each later is a nice $80k profit... might be worth the effort and maybe otgers follow that model.. problem will be the renew fees each 2 years but if you dont sell!?
11. There is a lot of gems or sale at www.netfleet.com. have a look there and choose what fits your budget compared to other options. Its a nice easy way to find and buy and sell a good quality name without much time effort.

Last edited:

Ash

Top Contributor
Thanks for taking the time to itemise that list DomainNames - an excellent resource for anyone starting out.

I have arrived at a similar list of do's and do not's through making a few mistakes along the way. Hopefully anyone else who is new to the game will take heed of this valuable advice.

Shane

Top Contributor
Points 1 and 2 are debatable if you're just starting out with a modest budget.

Sure if you have the money go and grab some killer names, but there's nothing wrong with buying a few cheap hyphenated names (with strong keywords) to get yourself started.

I hand regged a net.au with a hyphen earlier this year and it has already covered its purchase price. And yes, all of it's traffic comes from Google organic results! The domain itself will probably never have any value, but there's nothing wrong with sitting on a domain that gives a few hundred percent ROI each year.

So my advice, don't register junk, but don't feel that you have to start buying $x,xxx domains from day one. And don't hand reg 100 domains in your first week!

Shane

Top Contributor
Points 1 and 2 are debatable if you're just starting out with a modest budget.

Sure if you have the money go and grab some killer names, but there's nothing wrong with buying a few cheap hyphenated names (with strong keywords) to get yourself started.

I hand regged a net.au with a hyphen earlier this year and it has already covered its purchase price. And yes, all of it's traffic comes from Google organic results! The domain itself will probably never have any value, but there's nothing wrong with sitting on a domain that gives a few hundred percent ROI each year.

So my advice, don't register junk, but don't feel that you have to start buying $x,xxx domains from day one. And don't hand reg 100 domains in your first week!

Shane

Top Contributor
PS. My comments relate more to developers rather than pure domainers. For pure domaining I would agree with the original points 1 and 2.

Billy01

Top Contributor
These guys know their stuff!!!

But I'm have a go and see what happens

eg transphorm.com.au

do the research!!!!!! lots of extentions left. You only need one!!!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo