What's new

Domain Development Tips, Tricks & Insights

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I have just begun developing some of my domains and so far it's been quite the learning experience in terms of getting sites up and running and producing revenue. And I'm starting to learn a lot in regards to cost effectively get sites up and running.

So I was just wondering if you have experience developing domains if you could share some of the biggest tips and tricks you have learned along that way or any other insights that have allowed your to maximise your return on investment.

Thanks.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
well one small tip is to use your signature line and put a few of your sites in there for the link , the other would be try to find a niche that is not overcrowded , as for me i just keep plugging away and would starve if i had to make any online income my food money , good luck though, just keep asking questions

Billy01

Top Contributor
The Boss said

Not to upset you Spicy???????????????????

FlippA FOR YOor poor PORTFOLIO

old mAn

coreyg

Top Contributor
some tips

• learn how to use WordPress and Joomla
  • Fresh content - Articles & Original content
  • think about & research what end users of your site want

Cheers
Corey

Chris.C

Top Contributor
[*]think about & research what end users of your site want
[/LIST]
Great tips!

Though I was wondering if you could elaborate on this point a little? what have you found is most important in providing for end users?

snoopy

Top Contributor
what have you found is most important in providing for end users?

If read it right I think Corey is talking about researching what potential visitors want. Personally I think the main thing is to provide what they actually, definitely want. That usually isn't that obvious and sometimes is very different to what the site owner things they may want,

eg bricks.com.au - What are people searching for "bricks" looking for?

Are they builders looking for wholesale bricks?
Are they future home owners doing research on different bricks?
Are they owner builders look to renovate?
Are they people looking for some company called "bricks"?
Are they looking for something else entirely.
Are they a mix, if so which option is dominant or most likely to work.

Often people make the mistake of providing what they'd like to provide not what the visitors actually want eg deciding they'd like to build a site for home owners about different types of bricks when in reality the people searching for you exact match term are builders looking for a supplier. The site doesn't generate much money (because even if it ranks for "bricks" most people aren't looking for what you provide) and they get put off, research before building the site could have resulted in a different outcome. It is a bit like domainers who list 10 ways of how a domain could be used as though that is a good thing for someone looking at developing. At least 9 of those ways is likely to not be successful.

Last edited:

coreyg

Top Contributor
Great tips!

Though I was wondering if you could elaborate on this point a little? what have you found is most important in providing for end users?

end users = visitors

give visitors a reason to return!

Create a search box on the site to find out what visitors are looking for, also include a Popular module this will indicate what is being read by users. A survey or poll on the site is another way of collecting information about what visitors want.

Include a Web Links section listing sites that are relevant to the topic. Also list your sites.

Cheers
Corey

djuqa

Top Contributor
The absolute best SEO technique is to Optimise for users not Search Engines. All the major search engines are looking for user-friendly NOT SEO-friendly sites

Chris.C

Top Contributor
If read it right I think Corey is talking about researching what potential visitors want.
end users = visitors
Sorry my bad. I read into that wrong. I interpreted end user to be businesses you might sell your site to.

Being a valuable resource for visitors should go without saying. So it's definitely a good tip.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo