What's new

DNTrade spread the word for more members

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I've been busy spreading the word on this awesome forum. Maybe a good idea if there was 5000 members for the next years auda meeting and we can have some good candidates from here move into making the auda policy changes happen a bit quic ker before the rest of the rules gets even further ahead online

1. No 6 month rule
2. No need for abn, trademark, acn etc
3. a totally deregulated system like they have in most other countries. That allows anyone to buy and sell whenever they like
4. 3 panel dispute proceedings only ( 1 sided panles seem to make more mistakes!) and $5000 to lodge the dispute.
5. No stupid rules about monetisation restrictions etc.

Australia is 10 years behind the usa and other international extension policy ruleswhen it comes to Policy. Its time AUDA really caught up.

besides the auda stuff more members means more activity in the market and more people learing how valuable the names are. This will drive the online community and e business and our economy in general.

Would be great to see some forum members make it big and be the next ebay, seek, realestate.com.au, google, facebook.. etc etc. More members means more people here to help make it happen

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Yeah I too would love to see more people on these forums, however I personally don't know a HUGE number of people with domain name portfolios.

So I have done the next best thing added a link on my relatively undeveloped blog. If there is any link juice there hopefully it will help.

PS - Soj fix up the title tags of these forums!

"DN Trade - Powered by vBulletin" - yuk!

:D

Chris.C

Top Contributor
For you cncventure ;)
LOL with all my powerful link juice now point to your site - :p - I was hoping that you'd also throw in a few choice keywords while you were at it.

My thoughts:

DNT - Domain Name Forums For Australian Domaining, Domainers & Domain Names For Sale

:D

Also maybe someone could hit Ed up at OzDomainer to throw a blogroll link back to DN Trade or even better hit him up for a guest post stop to give the site a bit of a plug.

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
We should all exchange links where possible to help each other out. In fact I might start a thread about that...

James

Top Contributor
I think the biggest problem with AU domains is the ABN number problem, I mean I know soo many people who want to buy loads of .com.au domain names but they do not want to get an ABN number, also if you are a foreigner it is crazy hard to acquire them. If you want to open up this market then remove the ABN requirements.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I think the biggest problem with AU domains is the ABN number problem, I mean I know soo many people who want to buy loads of .com.au domain names but they do not want to get an ABN number, also if you are a foreigner it is crazy hard to acquire them. If you want to open up this market then remove the ABN requirements.

I'm arguing for that in the Names Panel discussion at the moment. There seems to be a lot of opposition though.

People want ther .AU namespace to remain Australian - i do to. But lots of people fear that removing the ABN restriction would lead to a flood of international registrants.

It may or may not but if the content remains Australian focused (which it would), what would the problem be with that?

I do feel that uni students, private bloggers etc are disadvantaged at the moment and usually resort to registering .com domains.

there's a paper coming out for public discussion so would be great to hear your views there.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I'm arguing for that in the Names Panel discussion at the moment. There seems to be a lot of opposition though.

People want ther .AU namespace to remain Australian - i do to. But lots of people fear that removing the ABN restriction would lead to a flood of international registrants.
Yeah I'm not sure if I want the restriction removed either. I know it would increase the value of the domains that I have, but as an Australian I'd be disappointed if loads of domains flooded into overseas portfolios only to be hoarded.

I really would like to see AU domains in the hands of those who will ultimately use them constructively - Australian retailer businesses. Unfortunately they seem slow on the uptake.

:p

The only positive is that most quality AU domains are already in the hands of Australian businesses or Australian domainers which means the majority of the future sales proceeds will stay in Australia.

On the other hand it might well be time to start lifting the barriers to allow some well needed competition into the Australian market.

Last edited:

Honan

Top Contributor

It may or may not but if the content remains Australian focused (which it would), what would the problem be with that?

I do feel that uni students, private bloggers etc are disadvantaged at the moment and usually resort to registering .com domains.

there's a paper coming out for public discussion so would be great to hear your views there.

The need for need for abn, trademark, acn etc actually prevents most Australians from using .com.au/net.au names
Don't tell me anyone can get an ABN
Most people are just not entitled to an ABN and they do not wish to lie to get one
Can anyone suggest a better method of confirming Australian residency?
Maybe a PIN number sent to an Australian address or even to an Australian phone number would be enough
In the meantime how many millions of dollars are sent overseas to the dot com and other registries because most Australians are not entitled to register a .com.au or a .net.au ?

WG2010

Archived Member
A valid Australian drivers licence would do the trick, most states you can get the Learners Permit from 16, so that would only cut out the 15 and under crowd.

It's a start but wrong approach, I don't think it's ideal to stop young people under the age of 15 getting involved. I ran a BBS at 13-14, I don't see much difference between that and a website.

I think it should be a free for all provided the price is not lowered. You don't want .com.au to turn into a wasteland like .info

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member