What's new

Detailed candidate statements

techmo

Top Contributor
I've had a look at the candidate statements published by AUDA but they are very brief and appear to be lacking in detail of what each candidate wants to achieve.

It's possible that candidates have posted bits and pieces of what they stand for in the large election thread, but I find it quite difficult to go through large threads like that to piece together the information I need to make an informed decision.

If I've missed the detailed candidate statements and someone can point me in the right direction, please do so.

Otherwise,

Candidates for both demand and supply classes, would it be possible for you to each publish a detailed statement of your thoughts, ideas and objectives pertaining to the upcoming election?

neddy

Top Contributor
If I've missed the detailed candidate statements and someone can point me in the right direction, please do so.

They are all on here techmo, and if you give me 10 minutes, I'll cut and paste their main statements into one post. That way you can have a one post summary! :)

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor

techmo

Top Contributor
They are all on here techmo, and if you give me 10 minutes, I'll cut and paste their main statements into one post. That way you can have a one post summary! :)

Thanks Admin (Ned?) for that, I've been having trouble finding the candidate statements on the forums and greatly appreciate your help.

neddy

Top Contributor
Candidate Summaries

Ok, as requested by techmo, here are all the candidates statements in one post.

When I say all, one candidate (Rosemary Sinclair) did not respond to various invitations to do so. She is an existing Director standing for re-election. One could therefore surmise she was not interested in domainers. :p

Erhan Karabardak - he just gave you the link to his candidate statement so I won't cut and paste again. There are heaps of other posts that Erhan has made in the auDA elections thread.

Simon Johnson - ditto above.

Josh Rowe - existing Director standing for re-election. Ditto above.

Lisa Jarrett - Lisa doesn't have her own website post (that I know of), so I have reprinted her initial candidate statement below:

Thank you to Ned for inviting me to introduce myself as a candidate for the auDA Board elections in October. I accept with only minor trepidation!

My background: I am an intellectual property lawyer based in Adelaide, and I regularly advise clients in relation to the identification, protection and enforcement of their IP rights, including on the Internet and in relation to domain names, as well as assisting with a range of IT transactions. We advise a broad range of clients, which includes domain owners and trade mark owners. My technical expertise is in the area of IP and IT law, and I have a strong understanding of how the auDA rules and systems apply.

I was a member of the recent auDA Names Policy Panel – I think the other members of that Panel (which included David, Simon, Erhan and Josh) would agree that I made a valuable contribution to the discussion and analysis of the issues facing auDA and the broader domain name community.

I don't consider myself to be one-sided in terms of what I stand for. It's clear that there are a lot of challenges facing the domain name industry, and a lot of competing rights and interests, and in my view these need to be properly balanced. That necessarily needs to involve consultation with constituencies to ensure that there's a better understanding of how the industry operates (or wishes to operate) and then investing time and energy into finding workable solutions which address those issues.

Whilst I am relatively new to auDA (and even newer to this forum) I believe that I would make a worthwhile contribution and offer a fresh and balanced perspective on domain name issues, if appointed to the Board.

I appreciate it's difficult to get to know someone from a single post in this forum but hopefully that's given you an idea of who I am and what I think I can offer as a Demand Class representative on the auDA Board.

Paul Levins- Paul has his own website, but I don't think he has a candidate statement on it (that I know of), so I have also reprinted his initial post below:

So I've nominated because I think I have skills and experience to make a contribution on the board.

I worked for 4.5 years as the Executive officer and VP at ICANN. I lived initially in Los Angeles and worked at the head office and then lived in Washington DC where I set up the ICANN office there, arguing for the ending of the Joint Project Agreement and being one of the writers of the Affirmation of Commitments - a new device to keep ICANN accountable and more transparent. I also ran their global meetings, was the spokesperson and ran the the corporate affairs function reporting to the CEO and dealing with the 21 member international board. Before that I was variously, a senior executive at two major infrastructure companies, a senior exec at Telstra and was a chief of Staff for state and federal ministers in a range of portfolios. I've also been a board member on two national infrastructure industry groups (the infrastructure partnerships and the Urban taskforce). Finally I've done volunteer work for the St Vincent de Paul and was on the NSW State board of Vinnies and have run my own consultancy. Presently I head up the Australian and New Zealand office of Intellectual Ventures, a Seattle based company invests in high tech invention.

But I also really believe that this work is very important - it's not some arcane entity that deals with a highly technical part of the Internet. It's decisions and the decisions of the administration affect people's livelihoods and their identities. This point was really driven home to me when I had to manage the collapse of RegisterFly - a US based registrar. The contempt with which they treated domainers and registrants was appalling. It destroyed businesses and placed almost intolerable stress on people. You can see one of the public blog posts I made about this at: http://blog.icann.org/2007/03/kevin-...e-us-the-data/

Don't get me wrong - I'm NOT in suggesting that auDA is in any way like Registerfly! I'm simply saying that domain names and the policy around them affect people deeply - businesses, revenue, personal identity. And I don't think you can ever have enough people on the Board advocating that position.

And I'd be crazy if I didn't recognise on this forum the importance of domainers, the validity and importance of those business and the responsible way in which they conduct themselves.

So I've built over the years a level of passion about the topic that frankly I didn't think I would have if you'd asked me 10 years ago!

In addition to my experience in and around the domain name system, I'm also a registrant so I know how much of my online identity and my work is tied up in my domain. Incidentally you can find my site at paullevins.com

Finally I believe accessibility is crucial. You can email me at paul@levins.net

Feel free to contact me via that or ask questions on this thread.

What else?....Ive got two kids and a long-suffering wife and I live in Sydney.

Anyway thanks again and thanks Ned for inviting me on!

Paul

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members