What's new

Deleting .com.au domains

Oz.

Top Contributor
A mate of mine has some .com.au domains that he has had for ages, but no longer wants to keep, and for reasons does not want to wait until they expire before getting rid of them.

My thought was that with .com.au you could request your registrar to delete them for you, but his registrar says this isn't the case.

I know in the past I have been able to request the deletion of a couple of crap new .com.au registrations.

Are you able to prematurely have a .au domain deleted?

johno69

Top Contributor
Are you able to prematurely have a .au domain deleted?

Yes, but why don't you push them into your account. And try get a few $$ each for them?

Or a minimum post them here and see if there is any interest at all.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I have deleted a couple of domains before, but I have a domain reseller account, maybe this isn't a feature for those who have just bought via a normal domain host...

So I have no doubt it's possible, it's just whether that domain host has a policy of not deleting domains or something, which I suppose you'd need to be wary of in the event that someone hacked someone's account and then turned around and just deleted domains...

atom

Administrator
My understanding is yes they should be able to do this. I've only had to do it once, the particular name was with Drop who were very helpful, but I understand not all registrars are created equal. :)

Send them this:

http://www.auda.org.au/registration/how-do-i-delete-a-domain-name/#how-do-i-delete-a-domain-name

How do I delete a domain name?
If you no longer want your domain name, you can ask your registrar of record to delete it for you. Your domain name will be held in "pending delete" status for 3 days, and will then be immediately dropped from the registry.

That said, I like johno69's idea!

Oz.

Top Contributor
Thanks guys, that is what I thought, his registrar said "...we do not delete domains. You will need to wait for them to expire".
hhmmmmmm, surely they have to, if he wants them to delete his own domain:confused:

Mark

Top Contributor
Registrars are obliged to delete domains if requested by the registrant. I'm sure they'd just need a friendly nudge.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Registrars are obliged to delete domains if requested by the registrant. I'm sure they'd just need a friendly nudge.

Exactly. They are probably just being lazy - Why not name the registrar?

I've deleted a few and in each instance they have required written authorisation.

Oz.

Top Contributor

My mate is still having trouble getting VentraIP to delete his domains. Unbelievable!
They continue to refuse to do this.

Would love to hear VentraIP's view on this seeing they are a sponsor here.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
My mate is still having trouble getting VentraIP to delete his domains. Unbelievable!
They continue to refuse to do this.

Would love to hear VentraIP's view on this seeing they are a sponsor here.

I'd also like to hear the reasons as I've wanted to delete domains as well. I accidentally registered a domain about a year ago which I wasn't aware was a TM. I asked to delete but was told it's not possible so just had to wait out the registration period...

Mick

Top Contributor
Really? Lemme know a ticket id/domain and I'll look into it... theres no reason to not delete a domain.

VentraIP

Top Contributor
Please provide Mick with the ticket ID's so we can take a look at this. We WILL delete them, but some people expect a refund which doesn't happen.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
I certainly wouldn't expect a refund, it was my mistake in doing it.

Ticket ID VIP-Y1122512 :) Not that it matter as it's expired now anyway but just thought you might want a look.

Last edited:

Mick

Top Contributor
Hi Oz,

There was some confusion internally as to why deleting the domain names wasn't available upon the clients request which we've now rectified. :)

Last edited:

payattention

Archived Member
I've requested this a few times with VentraIP without issue so seems this is an odd occurrence, as far back when Oprah was coming to Australia and I regged oprahtickets.com.au ... LOL good times.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member