What's new

celebrity domains

helloworld

Top Contributor
Showing my noobness here but...there is an up and coming celeb. I noticed she hasn't registered her name domains.

Obviously I can register he .com without an issue, but wondering what the deal was for names on .com.au ?

Cheers

James

Top Contributor
I wouldn't touch it to be honest, AUDA is very funny about people buy buy celb names, sure global TLD it is a very different story if you promote the artist.

Last edited:

Shane

Top Contributor
I wouldn't bother. Aside from everything else, how are you going to make any decent money out of it?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Yeah you could use the fan site defence but would take a heap of effort and, as Shane said you'll never make any money out of it anyway (unless the celebrity bought it from you I guess)

But yeah, apart from the ethical and legal issues, it wouldn't be commercially viable

snoopy

Top Contributor
http://www.davidletterman.com/

Wonder what this domainer makes every year?

It is going to have significant traffic, and there is no big brother (AUDA) staring over the back of it. Now we haven't been told the celeb, but I very much doubt it has traffic in .com.au.

Wonder if PSY thought he's make any money 3 months ago

You'd hope so, he had his first No.1 in Korea 11 years ago.

Wonder if fan sites could plug in an iTunes affiliate

Can't see any money in it? Disagree

Would increase the chance of a dispute/loss, I think the fan site argument is going to wear thin with commercial elements to it.

Billy01

Top Contributor
Hang On Now I'm Confused

I am agreeing with the comments saying no way in the world would you touch a celebs name with a .com.au, that is just wasting reg fee.

However if the question pertains to a dot com then why wouldn't you grab it?

The guy with David Letterman Dot Com sleeps ok at night.

Are you suggesting you can't have an iTunes account on a dot com????????????

PSY - 11 years ago? learn something everyday.
(bet he didn't expect to be No1 in 33 countries)

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Are you suggesting you can't have an iTunes account on a dot com????????????

PSY - 11 years ago? learn something everyday.
(bet he didn't expect to be No1 in 33 countries)

It the fansite is monetized it is going to be very hard to argue a defense in my view,

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/overview2.0/

2.5 Can a fan site generate rights or legitimate interests in the disputed domain name?

View 1: The registrant of an active and noncommercial fan site may have rights and legitimate interests in the domain name that includes the complainant's trademark. The site should be actually in use, clearly distinctive from any official site, and noncommercial in nature. Panels have found that a claimed fan site which includes pay-per-click (PPC) links or automated advertising would not normally be regarded as a legitimate non-commercial site. However, some panels have recognized that a degree of incidental commercial activity may be permissible in certain circumstances (e.g., where such activity is of an ancillary or limited nature or bears some relationship to the site's subject).

View 2: A respondent does not have rights or legitimate interests in expressing its view, even if positive, on an individual or entity by using an identical or confusingly similar domain name....

findtim

Top Contributor
your obvious intention is to make money from this persons name, you are heading for trouble.

grab a beer and think of a new idea.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads