What's new

business name rego goes national

findtim

Top Contributor
probably old news but it just came in a letter to me today.

i can't type it all but basically says from 28/5/12 you do not have to register a business name in each state you trade in ( i never did anyway ! )

but here is the question.

when i was living and trading under a business name in QLD that was all cool, when i moved to melbourne i thought legally the proper thing to do would be to change the address to victoria ( @ 5 years ago) but they wouldn't let me as my business name conflicted with a victorian business, so i just reregistered my business name at my QLD parents address and its all been dandy since.

SOOOO, if you do a search for a common term on asic you will see MANY businesses with the same trading name but in different states and they are owned by different people, so thus .... no what? "portfishshop" can only be registered once across australia?

so does this make it now harder for someone to register a close sounding name of mine i have registered? or does it mean your business name is no longer protected to some degree.

YES, this brings into conversation trademarks and it just seems that gets messy.

tim

acheeva

Top Contributor
We had the same transition with companies in 2000

The conflicts & anomolies resolved quite quickly back then

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online