What's new

Breaking DNTrade Rules #11

Positive discussions on marketplace threads do?

• adds value to marketplace

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • improves transperancy

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • increase interactions in forum

• makes seller more money

• increases exposure of listing

• improves value of listing

• impacts value of domain

• causes the world to end

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • break forum rule #11

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thelostagency

Ok I accept I'm not a regular user of this community but I'm an active buyer in the domain space so excuse my failure to know every rule. The rule I managed to break recently was commenting on marketplace sales threads, which is #11 for those keeping track at home.

I have seen there are comments on other marketplace threads in the past so I don't see that a positive comment outlining some insights around the domain for sale is a bad. A tip around sales is that discussion and exposure to more potential buyers increases the chances you will exceed your reserve price. The issue is not about talking down a sale or digging up dirt on it's backlinks that might hamper a sale it's relevant and on topic discussion about the item being listed.

I accept complete responsibility for my actions in talking positively about a domain that they were trying to market and I will do my best to resist putting a positive spin in the future, but can't guarantee it....

Maybe actions such as removal of a post that includes positive discussion about how great a domain is and stating public knowledge that a domain was picked up on the drop is not always transparent when it's your domain being sold via that thread.

I look forward to your views on if positive discussion or useful insight on a marketplace listing is good or bad for the forum and the listing.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
It might add transparency but:

a) Sometimes it adds information which is factual and not a big deal but can in fact be negative towards the seller.

b) How do you know the seller hasn't bribed the user into making a post? OK, very unlikely, but I think sometimes this will happen.

So I think rule #11 has to stay and keep it strict IMHO.

snoopy

Top Contributor
If you are stating it was picked up on the drop then it sounds like the comment was not all that positive.

Didn't know about this rule but I think it is a good one. Either positive & negative comments in sales threads need to banned or they both need to be allowed, can't allow one but not the other in my view.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I think the issue is you can't be sure how your comment is going to be perceived, even if it's done with good willl.

The thread in question is this one.

You mention that the domain dropped in April, but it was April 2011 (I actually thought I'd had it longer). From a sellers POV I didn't want people to think it was a quick flip...

No harm done as far as I'm concerned, but I think the rule should stay...

Honan

Top Contributor
Ok I accept I'm not a regular user of this community but I'm an active buyer in the domain space so excuse my failure to know every rule. The rule I managed to break recently was commenting on marketplace sales threads, which is #11 for those keeping track at home.

I have seen there are comments on other marketplace threads in the past so I don't see that a positive comment outlining some insights around the domain for sale is a bad. A tip around sales is that discussion and exposure to more potential buyers increases the chances you will exceed your reserve price. The issue is not about talking down a sale or digging up dirt on it's backlinks that might hamper a sale it's relevant and on topic discussion about the item being listed.

I accept complete responsibility for my actions in talking positively about a domain that they were trying to market and I will do my best to resist putting a positive spin in the future, but can't guarantee it....

Maybe actions such as removal of a post that includes positive discussion about how great a domain is and stating public knowledge that a domain was picked up on the drop is not always transparent when it's your domain being sold via that thread.

I look forward to your views on if positive discussion or useful insight on a marketplace listing is good or bad for the forum and the listing.
No comments in sales threads is an accepted standard in the Domaining business world. It has been a standard for ........... Years
Snoop, can you fill in the number of years?

James

Top Contributor
If some one has a relevant point to add to the sale listing, which is highly related to the sale and is going to assist in yielding you more money for the sale I see no problem with it.

For example if you sell a website or domain on Flippa users can ask related questions.

Sure I do not agree with people commenting on sales threads writing things such as "rip off, user has over priced this one"
or things like "didnt you just buy this on the drops for 1/20 of the price" ect ect...

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I am unaware of any forums that allow any form of commenting of sales threads, generally not a good idea in my humble view, although got the feeling most of us are guilty of this at some stage in the past

DavidL

Top Contributor
Maybe sellers can explicitly say "Happy for comments on this thread" when posting.

I agree a healthy discussion can help stimulate interest. Even the negative neutral stuff can cause people to properly consider the name rather than just glancing past.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member