What's new

bitcoin.com.au

Philip Littlewood

Top Contributor
I don't think I've ever seen so many responses to a post before - it's hard keeping up.
I'm just going to wait for the movie to come out, I think!!

DomainShield

Top Contributor
You are right Anthony - lots of things could have / should have been done. The point I'm trying to get across is that despite this, nothing would have happened had a complaint not been made.

This is because auDA is primarily complaints driven - they don't generally audit for expired ABN's / deregisterd companies. If they did, I know of quite a few domain owners who would be pinged!

It is true that domains are only deleted after a complaint has been raised so I do agree that on that aspect of the Great Bitcoin Chicken and Egg debate of 2014 is was one of the pesky roosters who fertilized the Egg was to blame.

DomainShield

Top Contributor
You should read some of the old Netfleet posts then. ;)
Yeah there have been a few classics. I'm often tempted to change my signature to "Just because I've stopped arguing with snoopy does not mean I agree with him, I just needed to watch the daily drops."

Last edited:

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
http://www.startupsmart.com.au/tech...s-possible-malware-isssues/2014112713716.html

"Tsvetnenko says, contrary to the qntra.net report that said it was a mistake on his behalf, he intentionally gave up the rights to the domain name because it had a reputation as a site which contained malware and as a consequence had been banned from Facebook, significantly reducing its value.

“The domain in question was acquired with the possibility of being used for marketing purposes. Unfortunately it was discovered the domain has some serious issues not disclosed by the original vendor, which make it severely restricted in use if not valueless for any purchaser – I’m reserving my rights of recourse in that respect,” Tsvetnenko says.

“As a result I chose to refund DCC (Digital CC) so the company would not need to get distracted by those issues. The domain has now been dropped. I’m highly pleased that DCC has since secured the superior coin.org domain.”"

findtim

Top Contributor
snoopy good questions and good answers from domainshield IMO

this threads getting past the actual domain in question has bought forward many valid issues and heaps of great information for people like me who own domains for myself but also manage for my clients, i've spent a lot of time recently, when i can get it , making sure my " ducks are aligned" as per the auda rules.

what frustrates me is if you were NOT member of DNT as all my clients aren't then how does a SMB owner know all this stuff !!!!

i've still got a few domains to fix up and i'd hate for this type of action to happen to eg: "dubbodentist" , just because the person doesn't own a "valuable domain" they are still subject to this.

basically they rely on their "web guy" , and i have seen it MANY times, i actually pick up a lot of business where the phone call starts with " ummmm, my web guy stuffed up , my email has stopped working and i can access my website ! "

this is JUST as important to a "ma and pa" website as it is to a $20k website purchase and we shouldn't forget that.

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
"Tsvetnenko says, contrary to the qntra.net report that said it was a mistake on his behalf, he intentionally gave up the rights to the domain name because it had a reputation as a site which contained malware and as a consequence had been banned from Facebook, significantly reducing its value.

“The domain in question was acquired with the possibility of being used for marketing purposes. Unfortunately it was discovered the domain has some serious issues not disclosed by the original vendor, which make it severely restricted in use if not valueless for any purchaser – I’m reserving my rights of recourse in that respect,” Tsvetnenko says.

“As a result I chose to refund DCC (Digital CC) so the company would not need to get distracted by those issues. The domain has now been dropped. I’m highly pleased that DCC has since secured the superior coin.org domain.”"

And I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Sorry to be so cynical, but it just doesn't ring true to me that he would just "give it up" - particularly as he states that he is reserving his rights of recourse against the original vendor.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that when you are looking at compensation or damages, you need to do everything you can to mitigate your potential losses.

So given what he claims, wouldn't you either try and give it back to the original owner and get your money back; or failing that, hold on to it whilst you take legal action? Or alternatively he could have put the domain name up for sale on a myriad of platforms - where he would have been inundated with offers.

Sounds like spin to me. But of course I could be wrong.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
And I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Sorry to be so cynical, but it just doesn't ring true to me that he would just "give it up" - particularly as he states that he is reserving his rights of recourse against the original vendor.

Yeah it seems pretty unlikely

snoopy

Top Contributor

[/I]

Bizarre, sounds like he is trying to think up some case to get money out of the original seller. I doubt he is going to get anywhere with that.

Horshack

Top Contributor
If he really wanted to keep this domain it's interesting that he didn't bid on the drop considering the eventual selling price was small change to him personally and to the company.

neddy

Top Contributor
The saga continues. Here is an update to original story on Qntra. http://qntra.net/2014/11/the-bitcoin-com-au-story-continues/

Who knows what to believe - but as I suspected, it seems that there was definitely a complaint in the first instance.

Some serious allegations are now made:

Qntra has additional information which it can share, information that confirms that behind the scenes, there was an agitator who had been attempting to have the domain deleted for his/her own gain as well as taking issue with the inflated ego he/she perceives Zhenya as having. This person claims to have a thorough understanding of the auDA rules so, when he/she saw that the bitcoin.com.au domain name contained incorrect registrant information, he/she lodged a complaint with auDA.

According to an industry insider, auDA were initially in favour of siding with the complainant but believes a policy maker at auDA came under pressure to side with Zhenya. auDA are believed to have made a defence that Zhenya was entitled to correct the registrant details. The complainant then pointed out that, as the domain had already been renewed with incorrect details, the domain must be deleted and re-registered according to auDA rules. Knowing the exact time and date the domain would drop, the complainant wrote a script for use in what was an unsuccessful attempt to register the domain name the moment it dropped.

(Given the nature of the complaint though, I would have thought the complaint should have been to the Registrar rather than auDA).

One thing I am sure of is that we haven't heard the last of this! Be prepared for claim and counterclaim. :eek:

snoopy

Top Contributor
If the above is correct I wonder if the person who lost the domain will sue the complainant and/or AUDA? Maybe it will take that kind of action to achieve change?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member