What's new

Bidding without suffcient credit

WG2010

Archived Member
I'm not talking about anything fraudulent here but a situation which could arise where you're bidding for a domain name but the bid goes above your credit card limit.

Example.

My credit card limit is $8,500. I bid on an auction and am the winner at $10,500.

Drop instantly tries to charge my CC for $10,500 (or are they invoiced for larger priced purchases?) but is unable to do so.

What happens?

soj

Founder
Nah, when I bought carparts.com.au, they knew that it was a big amount to put through any credit card, so they emailed me and organised for me to do a bank transfer. Payments are processed the following day anyway, so you have time to submit a support ticket anyway and let them know.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Hi WorGeneral,

You can select payment method on an invoice by invoice basis. As SOJ pointed out, we process payments every day at around 10.00AM - so for auctions this is the following day.

We won't flip out if your credit card transaction fails, but if you do have any issues regarding payment please contact us at support@drop.com.au.

Cheers

Andrew

DavidL

Top Contributor
Also I would add (Andrew correct me if I'm wrong), if someone deliberately tries to cheat and bids on a valuable name and then tries to do a runner, Drop as the registrar can delete the domain in the grace period. Just thought I'd mention this as there may be 'scammers' reading ;)

James

Top Contributor
But if something like Wines.com.au did not pay, wouldnt DROP just sell the domain themselves..

But yeah I would be under impression you pay with bank transfer for these domains.

Ken

Actually, Drop don't own the domain. They can't delete it or sell it without the registrant's permission.

Think of it like real-estate. Once someone has the deed, you can't just take back the property or resell it if their cheque bounces. You need to pursue legal avenues if negotiation fails.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Think of it like real-estate. Once someone has the deed, you can't just take back the property or resell it if their cheque bounces. You need to pursue legal avenues if negotiation fails.

This is true - but in the event of deliberate non payment (i.e fraud) this is clearly a breach of our terms and conditions. We would be well within our rights to suspend the expired auction and registration account and pursue all the legal options available to us...

Andrew

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members