1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Bidding without suffcient credit

Discussion in 'Drop.com.au' started by WG2010, Nov 10, 2010.

1. WG2010

WG2010 Archived Member

I'm not talking about anything fraudulent here but a situation which could arise where you're bidding for a domain name but the bid goes above your credit card limit.

Example.

My credit card limit is $8,500. I bid on an auction and am the winner at $10,500.

Drop instantly tries to charge my CC for $10,500 (or are they invoiced for larger priced purchases?) but is unable to do so.

What happens?

2. Timmy

Timmy Banned

What you can do is put funds into your credit card so it has $10,500 in credit :p

3. soj

soj Founder

Nah, when I bought carparts.com.au, they knew that it was a big amount to put through any credit card, so they emailed me and organised for me to do a bank transfer. Payments are processed the following day anyway, so you have time to submit a support ticket anyway and let them know.

4. Drop.com.au

Drop.com.au Membership: VIP

Hi WorGeneral,

You can select payment method on an invoice by invoice basis. As SOJ pointed out, we process payments every day at around 10.00AM - so for auctions this is the following day.

We won't flip out if your credit card transaction fails, but if you do have any issues regarding payment please contact us at support@drop.com.au.

Cheers

Andrew

5. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Also I would add (Andrew correct me if I'm wrong), if someone deliberately tries to cheat and bids on a valuable name and then tries to do a runner, Drop as the registrar can delete the domain in the grace period. Just thought I'd mention this as there may be 'scammers' reading ;)

6. James

James Membership: VIP

But if something like Wines.com.au did not pay, wouldnt DROP just sell the domain themselves..

But yeah I would be under impression you pay with bank transfer for these domains.

7. Ken

Ken Membership: Community

Actually, Drop don't own the domain. They can't delete it or sell it without the registrant's permission.

Think of it like real-estate. Once someone has the deed, you can't just take back the property or resell it if their cheque bounces. You need to pursue legal avenues if negotiation fails.

8. Drop.com.au

Drop.com.au Membership: VIP

This is true - but in the event of deliberate non payment (i.e fraud) this is clearly a breach of our terms and conditions. We would be well within our rights to suspend the expired auction and registration account and pursue all the legal options available to us...

Andrew