What's new

Best Software For Groupon Style Site

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I'm doing a bit of research for a friend, who is looking to setup a bit of a niche daily deals style site, but this is outside my core competencies so I thought I'd see if anyone else had some suggestions.

So they need some software that facilitates regular product changes, an e-commerce check out, email marketing, a facility that allows businesses to advertise and take orders etc

Any other general advice would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

johno69

Top Contributor
Code:
http://www.customers.agriya.com/products/groupdeal

http://www.agriya.com/groupon-clone2

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Magento + Aheadworks extension is a viable alternative. I'd stay clear of Agriya as getting developers to work on their software would be difficult.

Ashman

Top Contributor
So they need some software that facilitates regular product changes, an e-commerce check out, email marketing, a facility that allows businesses to advertise and take orders etc
I know that Drupal can do this with the integrated shopping cart module called Ubercart. Drupal also integrates with CiviCRM and will handle all your email marketing. I have set-up sites using both and they work well.

There is also a Drupal module ($60) you can get called "Pay to Publish". It allows users to pay a configurable amount via any of the supported Payment Gateways to publish content (advertising) for a configurable amount of days. The content is then automatically published once payment is received, and automatically unpublished once it expires.

I'm pretty sure there will be a Drupal module that allows 3rd party ordering too.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Thanks guys, I'll forward the recommendations on.

On a slightly different angle, what's everyone's thoughts on the profitability of these sorts of sites?

My mate is trying to start a niche style site on something that is a thin margin product, so I have some serious reservations, but I don't want to trample his dream given I know nothing about this style of online business.

acheeva

Top Contributor
What's everyone's thoughts on the profitability of these sorts of sites?

I believe that there future is limited in isolation

However if they are used as part of a broader strategy to build the database & to create up-sell opportunities for the business client then they have merit & purpose

We have seen several examples of tradesmen & personal care businesses simply using deals to fill their books once off. That is not sustainable!

PS......The deal cost becomes a customer acquisition cost if the deals are managed correctly; thereby removing the direct relevance of margin

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member