What's new

Best SEO Tips

chris

Top Contributor
I'm starting this thread for members to share their favourite SEO tips.

As mentioned in my AWR review post, we've got 3 Advanced Web Ranking Enterprise licences to give to the members whose tips receive the most likes from the community.

The rules are simple:

• 1 post per tip
  • No more than 6 posts per member
You can find out more about the competition details here, we've also got a AWR discount code just for DNTrade members.

Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: TpD

Shane

Top Contributor
For me it's all about really good content. Not the crap that you get through the outsourcing websites, but quality content written by someone (hopefully the website owner) who is really passionate and knowledgeable about the subject.

This is the number one strategy for my company and it has been extremely successful for our websites.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Real White SEO is about long term objectives and understanding what the users what.

To get the best results in the long term, start your onpage onsite optimisation with long tail keywords and over time break this down to short term. Starting your campaign with long tail terms will give you a ROI in the shortterm. This in itself will help you not "get over it quickly"

Example

Tier 1 Australian Domain Name Forums
Tier 2 > Australian Domain Name
Tier 3 > Australian Domain
Tier 4 > Domain Names
Tier 5 > Domains

helloworld

Top Contributor
If you're starting out in seo you're probably wondering where SEOs get the terms for optimisation.

You can use a combination of strategies to find keywords (remember it's important to note you're optimising a page not the overall website as per above)

Choose the page you want to optimise.
What is the page about ?

Use Google Adwords Keyword Tool to find long tail variations for your on page optimisation.

Before you start using the keyword tool, ensure you are looking at exact matches instead of broad. This will give you a good idea if the term is valuable or not.

Look for Low search and try to group the terms.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Using Google adwords, keyword tool math type phrase is a great way of finding buying terms.This is great for products. You can use the include terms above as well. For example Include "where to buy" > word or phrase "gold in australia"

findtim

Top Contributor
for small to medium sized businesses have a blog then:

blog short, blog often

then they actually do it !

tim

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Own a variety of sites with each taking a different approach so you can draw on your own data instead of best SEO tips on forums.
On top of that start an AdWords account throw some money and finding out what people REALLY type into Google and which keywords convert rather than use the generic Google keyword tool.

;)

CyberClick

Top Contributor
The easiest way to build and maintain quality links is to have multiple sites working together. Build a portfolio of like sites and direct links back to your main website. A master site, with multiple slaves.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Write an article that you'd be interested in reading. Is the article clearly conveying your message, point of topics, thoughts, call-to-action? Write it, as if it's for print media, or write it as if this content will be read out aloud on TV.
What I mean is; don't write an article with Search Engines in mind.

Search Engines are NOT your audience; people are.

Alex

Top Contributor
A lot of SEO people, including myself think that GAT is actually collecting the data from the advertisers (people that use Google adwords to promote their websites) so it's actually not showing the real keyword analysis.

That's why there are many keyword tools like Traffic Travis or Market Samurai, if GAT really show the real result I don't think anybody would consider using other keyword tools, and no one would even bother developing any keyword tool, because everyone knows who has the best data base on the web to build such tool, it's Google.

So why doesn't Google provide a keyword tool that shows the real data? The answer is simple, Google hates SEO. They would never provide any tool that can help us to outsmart their ranking system, they want people to choose only keywords that highly relevant to their websites, no matter if they're easy or hard to rank, or have any profitable value.

BTW ---> If you like this post please send a like my way! <---- I could really use the Advanced Web Ranking Enterprise licences as all these free tools I've been using just ain't cutting it. GAT in particular sucks!

James

Top Contributor
Here is one tip/ advice I see many domainers making this mistake it is SEO and website network related.

If you want to build several micro sites with your exact match domains and you want them to do well for a long period of time here is what you need to do to set the ground work up correctly.

1. Do not host them all on the same server and IP address: It will be a sure sign that all the sites are on the same network when the hosting data is the same.

2. Do not add Google Analytic's and Google Webmaster tools to the domains: This will instantly show Google the sites are all linked up, my advice is to use AW stats or domain level tracking, most of the on site reports Webmaster tools provides can be found from 3rd party tools such as Moz or http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk.

3. Do not add the same Adsense ID's to the same network of websites or even the same Affiliate codes from the same account it is very easy to track, you can easily split the affiliate codes from different providers.

4. Do not interlink all the domains as it will stand out like no tomorrow, use sites which are not related and do manual niche specific link building.

5. Always make sure you test what you have built with a tool such as http://netcomber.com/ or http://www.domaintools.com/ to track common elements of websites or track what competitors are doing.

6. Always make sure you have unique content on the websites. If you copy information from one site to another it will easily show up.

7. Contact details, addresses and phone numbers: if the phone numbers are the same on all sites it is a sure sign of common elements.

Now it may seem like a bit of work but these 7 top level steps will make sure that you have a longer term site set up. If you build 20 sites on the same IP address with common data and link them all up Google will easily pick it out and shut every thing down.

James

Top Contributor
Another tip and piece of advice:

Recent research from MOZ in 2013 shows that Backlinks are still a key element for ranking within search engines which equates to around 40% of all factors. For anyone who has been in the field for a number of years and working on projects on a daily basis this is still a key SEO area. (refer to graph below for additional key SEO elements)

So here are 5 tips for getting backlinks for your site!

1. Use Majestic SEO and http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/ take the top 10 search results for your target term, look at the most authority backlinks they have an work out ways in which you can get the same links. Sure it involves a bit of research and outreach but it is still an effective method. You just have to ask why is this site linking to the other site.

2. Use Followerwonk https://followerwonk.com/ find people from your industry who are popular and work out how you can get links from their Twitter account or blogs. It involves a bit of scanning and outreach work but it is still effective.

3. Online PR is still and effective method for generating backlinks and syndication if your release is unique and "newsworthy". My advice is to use sites which are indexed within Google News just go to Google news and search for "site:" it is an indication of trust example of a site from Australia: http://www.newsmaker.com.

4. General Forum link profiles, Forums can be a good way to syndicate your content but my advice is too set up an authority account on the forum and share information that is gong to help the community. Just search for any thing such as "Real Estate Forum" for example and look for Australian sites.

5. High Quality directories: They are still worth wile, my advice is to go for sites which have a tough approval process for example they ask you to verify the account by name. Example sites include Hot Frog, Start Local, True Local, Dmoz.org ect they are all worth getting involved with in my eyes.

Overall these are just some top level ideas here are a few more links to generate some more ideas which will keep you busy:

http://pointblankseo.com/link-building-resources
http://backlinks.com.au/10-surefire-link-building-tips-for-2013/
http://backlinko.com/link-building

mjonezy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned keyword density! kidding

An area that is overlooked by a lot of people is page speed / weight. Not only can it have a negative effect on your SEO (although small) and Adwords landing page quality score, it can also be detrimental to your website engagement and conversion rates. A little more info:
http://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/

With many Wordpress plugins available and only a few lines of code to paste into your .htaccess file, there really is no excuse for not actioning something that has been been aruond for over 3 years now:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html

Here are a couple of results for a client of mine (they still have outstanding tasks too, so there is more to be done):

===============================

Homepage: Before

Web Page Performance Test: 11.433secs
Page Speed Score: 76/100
Yslow: Grade D - Overall performance score 70
Page size: 1316KB

Homepage: After
Web Page Performance Test: 4.790secs
Page Speed Score: 88/100
Yslow: Grade C - Overall performance score 75
Page size: 841KB

Saving of 475KB
Reduction of page load times by 6.643secs

Directory page: Before
Web Page Performance Test: 12.634secs
Page Speed Score: 46/100
Yslow: Grade D - Overall performance score 65

Directory page: After
Web Page Performance Test: 4.306secs
Page Speed Score: 90/100
Yslow: Grade C - Overall performance score 74

Saving of 1.01MB
Reduction of page load times by 8.328secs

chris

Top Contributor
Just over 24 hours left to get your entries and votes in for the Best SEO Tips competition.

Remember we've got 3 AWR Enterprise licences to give away to the 3 members who's SEO tip gets the most likes by midnight tomorrow.

Here's the leader board so far:
  • James - 6
  • Shane - 5
  • mjonezy - 4
  • Alex - 3
  • Spacey - 3
  • asantha - 2
  • Blue Wren - 2
  • CyberClick - 2
  • helloworld - 2
  • payattention - 2
  • Chris.C - 1
  • findtim - 1
Even if you don't enter the comp, make sure you show your support for members contributions and vote for your favourite tips by clicking 'like' on the post.

Cheers,
Chris

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads