1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Photo Resource

Discussion in 'Resources & Success Stories' started by DnEbook, Sep 3, 2011.

1. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

I think fotolia.com are easily the best value photo/picture resource with great prices ...$12 for ten good size photos can't be bad value when you compare to some other photo sales sites

Just thought i would share this good value site

2. sp@rky13

sp@rky13 Membership: Community

That sounds like a fantastic price. Thanks for sharing :)

3. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

Yeah I have some credits with fotolia for when I need photos of higher quality or on a more niche topic... that said it's always worth looking through the free stock photo sites first.

4. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Maybe you could post a list of the ones you use.

Thanks.

5. Ash

Ash Membership: Trader

MorgueFile.com and sxc.hu are a couple I remember using back in the day.

6. joe

joe Membership: Community

i use sxc.hu for royalty-free stuff. Lots of chaff but usually some ok stuff on there.

7. Ash

Ash Membership: Trader

8. nina

nina Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I paid for a creative commons account for my work but have let that lapse by accident.. will pick that up again later... but here is a gem of a site that could give you some nice image resources -

http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/

It's worth bookmarking that gem of a site but I do use istockphoto and I hear that themeforest has their new one http://photodune.net/ - I haven't checked that out yet as I've been so busy with work, but think if it's anything like the themeforest range it would be pretty modern and up to date.

Nina

3 people like this.
  9. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

Yeah I use them as well.

Yeah I do sometimes - the number of photos is huge - it's just so many of them aren't super professional so they aren't always appropriate for websites.

10. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    this looks good,
    HTML:
    http://freerangestock.com/index.php
    tim

11. Alex

Alex Membership: Community

Thank you for the resources... Out of curiosity what happens if someone indicates you as using a copyrighted photo on a blog? Like realistically.

12. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    firstly, just don't do it and you will have now problems as there is enough free stock out there anyway.

http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/ is a great example of no need to cheat.

my knowledge of an image usage ( having a degree in photography ) is that if you manipulate it by 25% the copyright stops, if you use 25% of the image then copyright stops, but i am not a lawyer so if someone complains then i strongly suggest you remove the image immediately.

in the blogs we do we use other peoples images and then give them a link credit, that seems to help as we have had no complaints.

also use finding an image to your advantage, contact the person and ask their permission stating you will give them a link for using it, you get a GREAT image for your article and they get a link, you may find they then want to give you more images for more articles THUS giving you more ideas for CONTENT to boost your site with google.

tim

13. DrApple

DrApple Membership: Community

Getty images has a long notorious history for going after copyright on images and being very aggressive about it. They have bought out many of the smaller cheap libraries including iStock.

http://meronbareket.com/getty-images-demand/

2 people like this.
  14. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    my cousin in his younger days was a surf photographer and traveled the world, also a plumber in the off season, years later he sees one of his images appear in a usa magazine.... they were doing a piece on an retired surfer.

he just emailed them with an invoice and they paid.

tim

15. Jamie-AU

Jamie-AU Membership: Community

I think that's fair. Going the other way around, if I come across any of my photos in someone's blog or a website, as long as they credit it and provide a link to the source (i.e. my website) then I have no problem with them using my photos.