1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of Trademark?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by ttfan, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:59 PM.

1. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Say I run an online shop in the very niche area selling Fidget Spinners, and I operate under the name SME Fidget Spinner Shop (SME stands for Subject Matter Expert). Say we sell a variety of brands of fidget spinners off the shelve, but our expertise is in create our own combination of components to make a Fidget spinner, suited to the customer's requirements. Say we are subject matter experts in this area, and most people just refer to us as "SME" Fidget Spinners when talking about customised ones. My Question:
    1. Is there a benefit in registering a trademark for "SME", in the area of retail and services of Fidget Spinners?
    2. Is there any SEO benefit in owning such a trademark?
    PS I didn't really want to disclose our trading name publicly, at the risk of someone else registering the name (I know some of you know anyway). :)

2. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    1. Yes - but I think it would need to be a composite mark (i.e. registered as part of a logo). If it's an acronym I doubt it will be accepted as a word mark.
    2. No.

DomainNames likes this.
  3. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

Is it worth the expense?

4. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

Good questions for a board sponsor Cooper Mills Lawyers who are experts in this area. Message them maybe if you are really looking at trademarks etc

5. Cooper Mills DomainLawyer

Cooper Mills DomainLawyer Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Trademark protection is important (and often overlooked), it is a little hard to advise on your particular situation until I know a little more, but happy to discuss by PM.
    In the meantime our coopermills blog has some good TM articles. In terms of question 2, you will need to ask an SEO expert about this but a trademark will enable you to shut down competitors using your brand name in an adwords campaign if you have a registered trademark.

DomainNames likes this.
  6. ttfan

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Well it's only of the order of hundreds of $.
    Thank you Cooper Mills DomainLawyer, I've sent you a PM (or 'conversation as they seem to call it here).

7. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

For ten years protection it is worth it, especially if you making this your main form of income

8. ttfan

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Yes it seems like it, but I can't quite see how a competitor would use my brand against me, since my products are not actually SME brand., they are a combination of generic brands that others sell too... it's our expertise and advice in combining the products that sets us apart.

9. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

LOL ....consider rebranding to something that has "expert" in the title and then trademark!