What's new

Behind the Dot - The State of the .au Domain

Hello All

Ausregistry has released the first of a new publication which examines the state of .au domains

It has some interesting information, like 'Almost 40 percent of all .au domain names have been registered for between two to six years..'

A copy of Behind the Dot is available here

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Some key points:

• 2,881,387 domains registered
  • .com.au accounts for 86% of all domains under management
  • .com.au represents 83% of all domain creates for the last 12 months
  • Domain names that are at least 6 years old (having been renewed for the third or subsequent time) are more than 80% likely to renew again
  • Talks about "dip" in late 2013 due to Penguin 2.0 and Hummingbird
  • 43% of all .au domains under management are under 2 years
  • Forecasts point to a shift from this state as the namespace further matures, providing a more even spread in the 4-6 years and 6-8 years categories. This will be as a consequence of maturation and predicted higher renewal rates, as the result of auto-renew being introduced in 2013.
  • names in the 10 -13 character count being the most common
  • Names between 9 and 15 characters long appear to be popular, with more than 48% of all registered names falling in this bracket.
  • in April 2014, auDA commenced an audit of .org.au domain names with respect to eligibility, which has resulted in the marked increase in org.au policy deletes during the year
  • 54% of the policy deletes in the last year have been org.au compared with only 9% in the previous year

Some key points:

• 2,881,387 domains registered
  • .com.au accounts for 86% of all domains under management
  • .com.au represents 83% of all domain creates for the last 12 months
  • Domain names that are at least 6 years old (having been renewed for the third or subsequent time) are more than 80% likely to renew again
  • Talks about "dip" in late 2013 due to Penguin 2.0 and Hummingbird
  • 43% of all .au domains under management are under 2 years
  • Forecasts point to a shift from this state as the namespace further matures, providing a more even spread in the 4-6 years and 6-8 years categories. This will be as a consequence of maturation and predicted higher renewal rates, as the result of auto-renew being introduced in 2013.
  • names in the 10 -13 character count being the most common
  • Names between 9 and 15 characters long appear to be popular, with more than 48% of all registered names falling in this bracket.
  • in April 2014, auDA commenced an audit of .org.au domain names with respect to eligibility, which has resulted in the marked increase in org.au policy deletes during the year
  • 54% of the policy deletes in the last year have been org.au compared with only 9% in the previous year

Thanks for summarising :) Interesting statistics

nt81

Top Contributor
Very interesting, going off my own stats : In the last 14 months

~455,293 .au domains dropped and stayed dropped which would be about 14% of the 2.88 M figure stated above.

nt81

Top Contributor
I get my stats from the daily drop list on AUDA
My figure would be accurate within 100 domains.

I re-check all domains for availability once per month.

That is what it is, Since Aug, 2013 when I started monitoring dropped domains.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo