What's new

auDA improvement suggestions - List your suggestions for auDA and board

DomainNames

Top Contributor
To innovate and improve things;
  • Free Whois Privacy. Update auDA policy
  • Update RDNH Policy. Update auDA policy https://www.coopermills.com.au/reverse-domain-name-hijacking/
  • Lower wholesale prices. auDA to take $1 per annum only per registration or renewal. Update auDA Policy and Registry agreement
  • Easier registrations. Update auDA policy. Delete "Close and substantial connection" .
  • Allow foreign registrants to register, renew and buy .com.au names. Update auDA Policy. Whois must be valid. ( same as .com, .co.uk, .co.nz, .sg, .hk etc rules)
  • FREE COR ( Change of Registrant). so existing period transfers to new registrant. No cancellation of name and no need to reregister. Update auDA Policy
  • Free SSL certificates for .com.au. Registry / Supply
  • Free basic Hosting for .com.au. Registry / Supply
  • Free Email for .com.au. Registry / Supply
  • auDA Certified Registrars / Resellers. Audit of all approced supply entities. Foreign entities to be checked
  • Better Panelist and auDA board member training. Some do not understand RDNH and are afraid to make this ruling.
  • Free auDA membership for all Australian domain name registrants and more engagement https://cira.ca/cira-membership
  • Discount for multiple year registrations/ renewals. auDA/ Registry/ Supply
  • Cut auDA Foundation. This is not auDA's contracted role. It has been misused.
  • Cut auDA AUGIF. This is not auDA's contracted role. It has been misused
  • Cut ANZIA'S. This is not auDA's contracted role. It has been misused
  • Reduce auDA expenses. More 3 quotes and more tenders. Staff terminated if they break the policies
  • International public tendering for the Registry role.
  • auDA refunds the $10 million back to registrants who paid for it.Refund via lower wholesale fees
  • New Accountants ( public tender)
  • New Auditors ( public tender)
  • New Travel Agent providers ( public tender)
  • New Lawyers ( public tender)
  • Public recruitment for all auDA roles https://cira.ca/grow-your-career-cira
  • Better reporting to Government
  • Better reporting to members
  • Better reporting to public
  • Firm action taken on conflicts of interest. Legal when required even if an auDA board member. Board member removed.
  • Action taken to recoup unnecessary expenses / non approved auDA expenses going back to the start of auDA.
  • No additional competing .au extensions
  • Removal of board members, registrars, registries, suppliers who have acted with conflicts of interest or made decisions without proper research or consideration of matters they voted on. ( additional .au extension as an example)
  • Live televised AGM and auDA functions online
  • auDA CEO only allowed to attend Icann functions. Others can attend via televised access. CEO daily Trip Report to be made public on auDA website after each trip within 4 weeks.
  • Economy only travel and hotels for auDA, consultants and all board members or whenever auDA is paying or reimbursing.
  • Travel agent to not be related to anyone at auDA or auDA board
  • Supply membership and vote stacking of Supply and Demand auDA memberships immediately stopped. Full Audit of past elections and past votes on matters, finances, surveys etc. If memberships or votes where invalid those matters referred to be voted on again or resurveyed.( new .au extension)
  • auDA to set up a public election website. Candidates required to make statement, disclosures and participate. https://cira.ca/2016-campaign-forum
  • Consideration survey and report done that the Department of Communications takes over the role of Domain Name Administration and Registry. auDA Contract NOT RENEWED OR EXTENDED . Ausregistry / Neustar INC USA contract NOT RENEWED OR EXTENDED . https://www.communications.gov.au/what-we-do/internet
  • All board minutes published within 5 days on auDA website
  • Public complaint / suggestion area on auDA website.
  • auDA better service. New email? satisfaction@auda.org.au

Good afternoon,

Here at Nominet we wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for getting in contact with us on XX November with regards to your
domain name whereby XXXX XXXX was handling your enquiry.

We would like to know how you found this experience so that we can look to build and improve on this.

Therefore we would be extremely grateful if you would be kind enough to complete a short survey to let us know how it went.

Registrant satisfaction is paramount and we are constantly using the feedback from you to make our service even better for you by
using this information.

Lastly, if you have any further questions or need help with anything else, just call XXXXX XXXX XXXX or email us at xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you!
XXXXX XXXX
Quality and Training Manager
INID: 1001774894

DomainNames

Top Contributor
  • Ausregistry / Neustar Inc. to refund back to auDA ( paying domain name registrants) all Registry enhancements. These costs are to be paid by Registry contract provider not auDA . Audit done back to start of the registry contract and refunded to auDA.
  • Neustar Inc paid $118 Million for ausregistry. How much money of this $118 Million was given back to auDA?
    • Registry Enhancements (2016) $451,184 + (2015) $119,400 Why does auDA pay for enhancements if the registry is operated by a 3rd party? On many occasions I have been informed that the 1-5 year policy could not be put in place because it would involve changes to the registry which could not be done until the contract with ausregistry expired and a new tender doc put in place if that is the case why did they pay for enhancements and what were they for.
  • 'Audit and refund all past Communications expenses since 2000 Communications (2016) $185,086 (2015) $701,556 Why did this go down by almost 500,000 dollars?
  • Audit and refund from lawyers since 2000. 2016 Legal Costs $269,325
  • Audit and change staff Amenities. $15,164
  • Audit and refund from suppliers. Internet Expenses $373,750 What exactly are internet expenses ? web design, hosting, nbn It would be good to have some sort of breakdown especially
  • auDA to cease paying for all advertising to Ausregistry or others. All money refunded back to auDA. Ausregistry / Neustar Inc. Right of the Dot Magazine publication advertising? Is it free?
  • auDA to apply for Government grants and grants from others globally. Icann etc

snoopy

Top Contributor
Keep it focused is my advice, if people demand free hosting (why? who is going to provide that?) then the points that are quite serious (e.g. conflicts of interest) can easily to swept under the rug as well.

Shane

Top Contributor
Keep it focused is my advice, if people demand free hosting (why? who is going to provide that?) then the points that are quite serious (e.g. conflicts of interest) can easily to swept under the rug as well.
I couldn't agree more. If you go after dozens of demands you might end up getting thrown a few crumbs, but nothing of any real consequence.

Far better to focus on the big important issues such as direct registrations and transparency.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
More suggestions are invited this is not just a direct registration topic post.

I have sent the link and items to the auDA CEO and a few board members.

What is shows is direct registrations is the last thing auDA and "supply" need to be pushing or doing. They have too many other serious issues outstanding to fix.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
  • Itemize and make public the names of all past and present auDA staff, Board members, consultants etc who have attended Icann and other junkets since 2000. This seems to have been paid for using auDA funds ( money used from paying domain name registrant funds).
  • Revue all auDA members including those from the new 2016 members. How many memberships are "related entities", fake or for possible financial gain from auDA or policy. Assess and publish "Risk assessment" from possible member stacking. Assess if anyone is joining as an auDA member to get votes to get back into any roles... attend Icann or other paid for junkets, consultants, supplier contracts, grants, award nights, new .au extension financial gain etc.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
  • auDA to offer FREE Australian domain name lockdown.
  • Registry should be required to provide it FREE to all domain name registrants.
Ausregistry ( Neustar Inc USA) should NOT be charging Australians for this.
It is available FREE in most extensions and countries by many Global registries and registrars. Why is Ausregistry and Supply selling it here at all?

https://www.ausregistry.com.au/now-is-the-time-to-protect-your-domain-names
http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/securi...moves-to-lock-out-hackers-20130605-2npdh.html
Domain registry moves to lock out hackers
Will website owners pay $1000 a year to protect their domain from attacks on Australia's domain registrars?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
  • auDA to offer FREE Australian domain name lockdown.
  • Registry should be required to provide it FREE to all domain name registrants.
Ausregistry ( Neustar Inc USA) should NOT be charging Australians for this.
It is available FREE in most extensions and countries by many Global registries and registrars. Why is Ausregistry and Supply selling it here at all?

https://www.ausregistry.com.au/now-is-the-time-to-protect-your-domain-names
http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/securi...moves-to-lock-out-hackers-20130605-2npdh.html
Domain registry moves to lock out hackers
Will website owners pay $1000 a year to protect their domain from attacks on Australia's domain registrars?
GOOD NEWS UPDATE
Apparently "Domain Name Lockdown" can already be offered FREE if registrars choose to.... it seems only 1 chooses to offers it free now congratulations to www.terrific.com.au

Let's hope we see some more "supply" registrars/ resellers start offering this FREE. Let's make Australia more globally competitive and secure!

Maybe the Supply auDA members including board members can start offering this free? There is no charge from auDA, Icann etc.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
auDA policy change suggestion
Change expired domain name grace period for renewals from 30 days to 60 days. Many countries offer a 60 day period successfully.
Increase the registry / registrar emails to registrants to make sure they do note the expiration.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
why? i think i get about 5++ notices already ! and then the site goes down !

tim
Why not? It is 60 days in many countries!

FYI Not all registrars / resellers send 5++ notices.. you may be lucky with who you use.

There are many people who have registered a name and for various reasons the name is not renewed within the 30 days due to admin errors, old staff members having their email as the contact etc.

This in no way hurts domain name policy but it does offer some increased protection for the registrant.

Lemon

Top Contributor
This in no way hurts domain name policy but it does offer some increased protection for the registrant.
I agree.
I have no problem with the 30 day policy but I have no objection to 60 day.

30 days does come around quickly and I am sure many of us have had a name go into pending delete and thought I will deal with that in a few days and all of a sudden it is 2 weeks later. There are also those domains that I think I will let it drop but then after some deep thinking :) have a change of mind so 60 days would give me more time to not make a decision based on the misconception that one day I will develop the name.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
There are many people who have registered a name and for various reasons the name is not renewed within the 30 days due to admin errors, old staff members having their email as the contact etc.

i would like to see AUDA more proactive in ensuring this type of "expiry reason" is not given to the benefit of the drops - at the end of the 30 day a letter should be sent to the registrants postal address informing them about the potential loss of their domain name, a contact number at the AUDA or registry to allow updating the information or access to the domain by a new admin authorised to do so;

findtim

Top Contributor
at the end of the 30 day a letter should be sent
i received this 11/4/17, what more do you need? SNAIL MAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------------
Is your profile correct?
ENSURE YOUR DOMAINS STAY SAFE

If all correct, great job! You do not need to take any further action.
But it's wise to double check, to ensure your account is perfect.

Tim Connell

Phone: (+61) 387740394
Email: tim@whitecollarwebsites.com.au
Address: 7 Mirrrabook Crt
Postcode: 3806
State: VIC
Yes! All Correct
Update Now

Why have I received this email?
As per the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Board resolution 3.4.1, we are required to contact the registrants of domain names registered with us at least once a year to remind you to ensure that your Whois information is accurate and up to date. If any of the Whois information attached to your domain name is incorrect or inaccurate, ICANN policy requires that you correct it.

Your obligations
It is your responsibility as the registrant to ensure that the Whois information is valid and up to date. Failure to do so could result in cancellation of your domain name license. You can easily check your Whois information by searching your domain name at whoismydomain.com.
If you need to make alterations to your Whois details you can do so by logging in to your account, click Account Details, click Modify Details and Update. This will immediately rectify any inaccuracies within your Whois details.

Your privacy
If you have purchased domain privacy, your information above will not be displayed in the public whois. We do though require this information to be correct in our internal system to ensure all ICANN policies are obligated. If you don't have Domain Privacy you can purchase it anytime under your domain management and clicking Private.

We're here to help
Our friendly Customer Care team is available 24/7 to answer your questions. You can also browse our help site at https://www.crazydomains.com.au/help/
1300 210 210
help@crazydomains.com

Crazy Domains™ respects your privacy. View privacy policy.
Copyright © 2016 Crazy Domains. All rights reserved.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
yes - snail mail is what i need.

All those domains that have dropped and continue to drop because the technical contact or registrant contact info is a barrier to renewal.
ok, so they are stupid - but to penalise them for that small mistake that could cost them a $30K + asset ????
its just a letter, im sure auda can afford that small expence -

Lemon

Top Contributor
yes - snail mail is what i need.

All those domains that have dropped and continue to drop because the technical contact or registrant contact info is a barrier to renewal.
ok, so they are stupid - but to penalise them for that small mistake that could cost them a $30K + asset ????
its just a letter, im sure auda can afford that small expence -

Yes. Lets increase Auspost profits more by sending out 3 million letters at a cost of $2 per letter. Sounds like a great idea. Great way to keep the price of domains down.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo