What's new

auDA and .melbourne domain space

chris

Top Contributor
A piece on .melbourne and the new Australian geographic TLDs.

Victoria’s Minister for Technology, Gordon Rich-Phillips, has told an Australian Internet policy conference that he believes auDA – .au Domain Administration Ltd., the organisation that currently manages the .au top-level domain – should have a role in overseeing new Australian geography-based TLDs including .melbourne.

http://www.techworld.com.au/article...versight_melbourne_domain_space/?fp=16&fpid=1

Cheers,
Chris

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Sounds like it should be job for auDA.

Do you think these .melbourne domains will get much latitude? I mean after all .com.au is still where it is really at.

findtim

Top Contributor
I'm sure auDA would love to take a percentage of every .melbourne sale.

of course they would as well as any other Australian based extension.

Like any business, organisation, company they also need to be accountable and justify why they would be given money from sales on these domain extensions and not just handed it on a platter.

its not just auda, you can add in anything that ends in .gov.au , we have all become down to an expectation that we will be disappointed with official services, we also expect that their service will be rubbish, on hold for long periods of time if we get answered at all ?

most people I think have just given up, which is very sad.

tim

George

I thought I would add to this thread with some facts. Firstly I will preface this by stating that my position at AusRegistry is that of General Manager, Registry Services Australian Division. In short, I am responsible for the management of the .au ccTLD, .melbourne, and .sydney.

I am also a Director on the auDA Board, recently elected by supply class for my third term. Some may know me from the old days, and will remember that I played a pivotal role in opening up com.au to domainers, and the drop market - But that is a story over drinks amongst old friends who I hope remember my contributions to the industry.

So, some facts about .melbourne and .sydney

On the question of auDA involvement, the article is not accurate. auDA will not be involved in policy development, ongoing management, and nor will the have a financial interest. I won't go into detail about how the namepaces will be managed, but my division will feature prominently in this activity. The aim is to keep open communications and cooperate with auDA, because the general interests of all Australian Internet users is of paramount importance to all stakeholders.

On the question of success, I will answer by posing some questions for you all to consider. How many domains under management constitutes a success? What is the magic number? Is it volume or utility? Would you consider 250,000 domains after 3 years a success? Higher? Lower?

On the matter concerning benefit and utility, I would like to pose the following scenario for consideration. You are looking for a plumber, and you live in Melbourne. You see the following domain names in a call to action online ad, or in a newspaper ad.

plumbers.com, plumbers.com.au, plumbers.melbourne

Of the three, what is likely to be the most relevant to your needs? In reality the first two may not even be melbourne based businesses. If it is an online ad, you likely try all three and find out. Whats a few clicks? If I read the call to action in a newspaper though, then I personally think I would remember plumbers.melbourne. (Caveat, it is three years into the future and I am familiar with the diversity of the right side of the dot, just as I am now with the diversity on the left side of the dot.)

Who will type .melbourne? Sooooooo many characters. Well it is actually just 3 key strokes more than .com.au. Count them.
What is a better domain for a Melbourne based plumber? plumbers.melbourne, or localplumbers.com.au (18/20 char)

Interestingly, .sydney has the identical keystrokes to .com.au (7/7)

And here is one final point you will all need to take my word on. I ran a query in .au and found approx 23,000 domains with the characters "melb" in the domain name string. So of those how many had extrapolated to the full word "melbourne"?

Drum roll.....

That's right, of the 23,000 domain names, only 800 used the abbreviation "melb". 22,200 elected to use the full word. Why, because "melb" means nothing, and therefore retention is more difficult. Remembering a domain is critical to online success. It is easier to remember, CheapMelbournePlumbers.com.au, than it is to remember "CheapMelbPlumbers.com.au". Similar results were found with "syd" and "sydney", of the 26,000 domains the variance was just 700 domains electing to use the abbreviation 'syd' instead of the full word "sydney".

I could speculate here and suggest that those who chose "melb" over "melbourne" either had the "melbourne" variant already, or could not get it and opted for "melb" as a second choice. I could find out based on domain age, and cross reference registrants, but too much effort for an insignificant number.

My personal belief, plumbers.melb needs to be explained to people. plumbers.melbourne says it all! it is a plumber, and they service Melbourne. You don't even need to add a descriptive line beneath such a domain.

Well, I hope you all found my post informative or at very least entertaining. My ambition is to continue to make .au a success, and I think we have a great namespace that we can build on an improve. I want .melbourne and .sydney to launch successfully and help deliver value to their respective markets, NSW and VIC residents. My ultimate ambition is that all three form symbiotic relationships.

Say what you want about new TLDs and .au for the present, there is one thing I know for certain - there will be change ahead and interesting times for all.

My all time favourite quote is by Louis Pasteur:

"Chance (Fortune) favors the prepared mind".

PS: Happy to hear constructive ideas or suggestions, but there is a lot going on that is simply to early to share all the plans. If you do post to me, you may not get a response from me because of confidentially considerations. Please don;t take offence ;)

findtim

Top Contributor
So on that note one of the most influential people in the aus domain name space says EMD's are not DEAD ........... in all forms :)

am I correct?

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
fortune favours the prepared mind.

my ALL time favourite sentence, but I learnt it from Ansel adams, an American 1940's photographer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonrise,_Hernandez,_New_Mexico

he was driving done the road in 1940 ish and saw the moon come up, set up his camera but in the darkness could not find his light meter, he new that the moon was ALWAYS an exposure of 4sec at F4 at a normal "billows extension" he increased the extension and then in his mind recalculated the correct exposure for the photo without a meter.

this image and that paragraph changed my life ! I was in London at the time, I left London and went to Africa for a year , came home, went to uni go my photo degree, became a photographer then the internet kicked in, saw the opportunity, took it, and now I am here.... still using "fortune favours the prepared mind"

I do see your point on .Melbourne, I am just not convinced, but I will give that you do pose a good argument.

time will tell

tim

chris

Top Contributor
Thanks for correcting the original article George :)

I agree, it's an interesting time indeed.

Cheers,
Chris

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Thanks for this information George. It has cleared up some questions I had in my mind.

I wonder how attractive something like plumbers.Hobart would be really to domainers. I mean to get in at ground zero, that must be an investment that is not worth nothing.

To me this has no resemblance to the way .info etc. got released.

Offtap

I must be simple.

Every single example someone gives of the use of these extensions is for directory sites.

If there is to be such strict controls of who buys these, how is anyone going to satisfy, ARI, AUDA and City Of Melbourne and still make a $$ out of it if the only sensible use of the extension is a directory?

OK - myer.melbourne I get - useless; but I get it,

But plumbers.melbourne - if it was sold to say the major plumbing business in Melbourne and not a developer/yellowpages/local-directories looking to make a directory then there would be howls of anti competitive practice and worse.

Repeat that in every service industry in Melbourne. builders,coffee,restaurants.....

Can someone please explain who is going to jump all these barriers to buy these things and then make a quid out of them.

Or will it be a free for all and corporates will be allowed to buy them to promote their own products at the expense of their competitors - end result there will ultimately be a devaluing of the extension in the SERPS which will depreciate their value anyway.

Would someone please explain it to me cause I must be simple?

snoopy

Top Contributor
You are looking for a plumber, and you live in Melbourne. You see the following domain names in a call to action online ad, or in a newspaper ad. plumbers.com, plumbers.com.au, plumbers.melbourne

Of the three, what is likely to be the most relevant to your needs? In reality the first two may not even be melbourne based businesses.

Most people wouldn't even recognise "plumbers.melbourne" as a web address. So that is going to be an instant fail in a newspaper ad or on the side of a plumbing van.

The first two sound like comparison type sites listing lots of plumbers. If they are advertising in a newspaper or targeting to you online they are probably relevant, otherwise they are just burning money.

I think most people would prefer xyzplumbing.com.au baysideplumbing.com.au etc. An actual plumber, to any of the three when looking for a plumber.

Who will type .melbourne? Sooooooo many characters. Well it is actually just 3 key strokes more than .com.au. Count them.
What is a better domain for a Melbourne based plumber? plumbers.melbourne, or localplumbers.com.au (18/20 char)

You'd do well in realestate. Box Hill is 14 kms from the city and Croydon is "only 13 kms more" than Box Hill. Therefore Croydon isn't that far from the city.

And here is one final point you will all need to take my word on. I ran a query in .au and found approx 23,000 domains with the characters "melb" in the domain name string. So of those how many had extrapolated to the full word "melbourne"?

Drum roll.....

That's right, of the 23,000 domain names, only 800 used the abbreviation "melb". 22,200 elected to use the full word. Why, because "melb" means nothing, and therefore retention is more difficult. Remembering a domain is critical to online success. It is easier to remember, CheapMelbournePlumbers.com.au, than it is to remember "CheapMelbPlumbers.com.au". Similar results were found with "syd" and "sydney", of the 26,000 domains the variance was just 700 domains electing to use the abbreviation 'syd' instead of the full word "sydney".

.mel, .melb, .melbourne...it is all junk.

The only people who will make money is big drumroll....registries and registrars! Don't worry, you are on the right side of the equation George.

Well, I hope you all found my post informative or at very least entertaining.

Let's go with entertaining :)

George

Most people wouldn't even recognise "plumbers.melbourne" as a web address. So that is going to be an instant fail in a newspaper ad or on the side of a plumbing van.

My guess, is that you will see the return of the www, to differentiate. At least until people become familiar with the namespace. Once upon a time, advertisers used http://www in URLs.

I did say it will take time for people to become familiar with the variety on both sides of the 'dot'.

I think most people would prefer xyzplumbing.com.au baysideplumbing.com.au etc. An actual plumber, to any of the three when looking for a plumber.

Confused, which do you mean?
* Most people = Plumbing business owners looking for a domain name?
* Most people = People looking for plumbing services online?

Perhaps both? Although support in the latter, drives value in the former.

xzyplumbing.melbourne, and xyzplumbing.com.au - both identify geographic location, but one is more specific to area. The problem with Business Names, is that you can register the identical name in different states. If I owned XYZ Plumbing in Victoria, and the QLD variant got the jump on me with the com.au - I would likely consider the option to get xyzplumbing.melbourne

You'd do well in realestate. Box Hill is 14 kms from the city and Croydon is "only 13 kms more" than Box Hill. Therefore Croydon isn't that far from the city.

Last time I checked, people live in Croydon. People also buy and sell realestate in Croydon. I have even heard that people buy and live in Frankston. Shock horror! Are these suburbs failures? Are they bad places to invest in?

This argument of new TLD success always gets dragged down to a question of 'one is better than the other', or 'one will win against an other'. Like it is some sort of death match. This is not my argument, that is your perspective. I believe com.au will reign dominant in Australia, and .com will continue to reign supreme across the world. This does not mean other namespaces will not grow, and attract investment.

So, on that note - as posted in my first post... What constitutes success of a new TLD? How many Domains Under Management (DUMs) deem a new TLD successful?

There are now over 500,000 .asia DUM. From a domainers perspective, not the best TLD to invest in or monetise. In fact, I have yet to hear a domainer with a positive .asia investment experience. (I own some generics, PM me if yo want to buy them :p ).

From the dotASIA's perspective, they are doing just fine. The namespace is still growing, so that illustrates demand and it also indicates retention. You don't get renewals unless Registrants derive value.

Success of a new TLD is not determined by how many domainers or speculators rush in to buy domain names. Actually, there are many new TLDs that are introducing policy to deter just such practices.

I personally believe domainers and speculators are an essential aspect of a namespace's success. Everything needs to be in balance; too much speculation and the namespace is worthless with no true utility, too little speculation and the namespace runs the risk of becoming stagnant.

For me, domain investment is an indicator of namespace economic performance. The last 8 years of my life I have spent supporting this position by convincing as many others similarly...

.mel, .melb, .melbourne...it is all junk.
I remember you had the same opinion of com.au. Actually you probably still do..., and from reading past posts it would be I think it would be fair to make the assumption that you consider all the com.au domainers junk merchants.

That's fine, horses of courses - for me the beauty of the internet is that people can carve their own niche businesses. Each person determines success by their own standards, with some making millions, and others merely augmenting their annual incomes by a few thousand dollars. When you speak to some from either side of the spectrum, they still consider themselves successful.

Just look at this forum, there are some here that have made a lot of money and others that are lucky to cover their habits. The one truth across the spectrum - everyone thinks they are the expert!

It reminds me of my extended Greek family dinners :)

The only people who will make money is big drumroll....registries and registrars! Don't worry, you are on the right side of the equation George.

How will Registries, and Registrars make money from something that has no utility or commercial support?

If someone can prove to me that you can make money in a sustainable business by introducing a product nobody wants to buy, please PM me. I will invest in that business any day of the week.

Let's go with entertaining :)

Always happy to entertain Snoops ;)

James

Top Contributor
I can see how the new TLD's may work in branding such as .AFL or .NIKE for example. That been said it is going to take a while before the MASS market picks it up.

I guess we will have to wait and see how these new fresh domains fair within the SERP's. It will be interesting too see how Google defines them been more global in comparison to localized .com.au, even with GEO targeting in GWT.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo