What's new

ASIC looking at financial websites

Shane

Top Contributor
If you're running an insurance or finance website, this is probably important to you...

A few months ago I made this post on DNT regarding the possibility for insurance & finance website owners to get into strife over their content.

Basically I pointed out the fact that although we're not running our sites as licensed advisers or brokers, we could still be liable for our content.

Well last month I received a letter in the mail from ASIC (Australian Securities & Investments Commission) advising that they had concerns with one of my websites.

This was quite a surprise, as I'd never heard of this happening during my 13 years in the industry. I spoke with two directors I know of big financial planning groups, and neither of them had ever heard of ASIC auditing a random website either.

ASIC's concerns were pretty easy for me to address thankfully, and the issues basically related to the fact that I hadn't changed my website sufficiently when I made the switch from being a licensed adviser to merely being a referrer to other advisers.

I had plenty of big disclaimers on the bottom of each page, but this wasn't sufficient.

They had no issues with my actual content (which was nice!) but the point I'm really trying to make here is that ASIC are now looking at our websites.

I've dealt with ASIC's compliance people plenty of times in my career, and they are never easy to deal with! Even as a compliance analyst at one of the world's largest banks I found them painful to deal with, but as a little self-employed website owner they make you feel extremely small and helpless.

So you've been warned. If you're going to build insurance or finance websites, make sure they're fully compliant with the Corporations Act, and in particular the referrer exemptions that form part of that Act.

My letter from ASIC included the following:

"A contravention of this section is punishable by a fine of $5,500 or imprisonment for one year, or both".

No one wants that! :eek:

Shane.

kappa

hi Shane, good post, being in the space the same as you, i am hearing they are going to make it very difficult going forward. in fact there is a big push now that they are going 2 make websites have there own afsl, let alone be a auth rep. with home loans you will need to have also lenders acredd with each of the banks. i think it will make it alot harder in the future to be operating home loan sites specially as if you require your own lender accreds it make the barriers alot harder.
have a good new yr all and hope for a big 2012.

Billy01

Top Contributor
Good Ol ASIC

Nice to see they have time snooping around pretending to be seen as doing the right thing shame the same ridiculous organisation couln't protect thousands of people from the likes of Storm Financial and too many more to mention in names of companies.

I'd burn the letter

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
ASIC are bully boy no nothing elitist arrogant @rseholes. The only thing they are good at is intimidating people and creating red tape to justify their own empire.

I can't remember the last time they actually won a court case or saved people from getting ripped off.

Yeah I've suffered those fools too :)

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Actually they contacted quite a few financial comparison sites a while back. If you had a top 10 list of say home loans then they wanted you to justify why and to detail any research undertaken or your methodology. That's why a lot of sites changed from Top 10 or 'best' (implied recommendations) to an "Editor's choice" scenario.

Basically you can present information but you can't recommend anything, unless you're a celebrity journalist with absolutely no qualifications then you'll be fine.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
That's very interesting.

I would like to know more about what is allowed and what is not.

So, Shane, do I just read the Corporactions Act?

Thank you

James

Top Contributor
They need to spend time researching things online where people are actually been ripped off such as phishing websites, fake party promoters, fake ticket websites ect. Plenty loose millions from these each year in Australia.

Oz.

Top Contributor
I've been contacted by them early last year sometime in regards to one of my finance websites. They finally left me alone after trying to bully me into changing something that didn't really need changing.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo