What's new

AndroidTablet.com.au | AndroidTablets.com.au

logicstorm

Top Contributor
Hi,

Can you please tell me how much these domain names are worth and which one is better than the other?

AndroidTablet.com.au
AndroidTablets.com.au

Thanks,

snoopy

Top Contributor
And that is a Problem because?
Google has TM (Class 9) on the Software not as a DOMAIN.

Misunderstanding of trademark law here. Has nothing to do with with registering a mark as a domain (whatever you mean by that). Personally I think these name would be lost very easily and unless the owner is actually selling this product today I would be letting it drop.

What is the chance of anyone paying a premium for a name with potential legal issues like that anyway? I think very low.

djuqa

Top Contributor
Misunderstanding of trademark law here. Has nothing to do with with registering a mark as a domain (whatever you mean by that). Personally I think these name would be lost very easily and unless the owner is actually selling this product today I would be letting it drop.

What is the chance of anyone paying a premium for a name with potential legal issues like that anyway? I think very low.
No mis-understanding at all
Google does NOT have a TM for use as a DOMAIN NAME.

paz

I'd stay away but you could probably make some quick cash on it if you get it ranking and selling the tablets on comission

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
toyota lost a dispute with a site that referred prospective toyota lexus buyers to different dealerships , the ruling said because they were in fact dealing with the product in question , it was in fact relevant to the domain name so they were allowed to keep it , would help to have deep pockets for the lawyer fees though.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Google does NOT have a TM for use as a DOMAIN NAME.

I'm scratching my head trying to make any sense of what you mean. A trademark can be a url but there is no such thing as having a trademark "for use a domain name".

snoopy

Top Contributor
toyota lost a dispute with a site that referred prospective toyota lexus buyers to different dealerships , the ruling said because they were in fact dealing with the product in question , it was in fact relevant to the domain name so they were allowed to keep it , would help to have deep pockets for the lawyer fees though.

How does that help here and what would be the point of spending a lot of money on lawyers fees for a name like this?

djuqa

Top Contributor
I'm scratching my head trying to make any sense of what you mean. A trademark can be a url but there is no such thing as having a trademark "for use a domain name".

yes you can TM a Domain name URL
i.e. "AndroidTablet.com.au"

Plus Google "Android" as a Class 9 TM does not give them protection against someone else registering a Related but NON-identical Domain name at all.
Owning the TM "ANDROID" Does not stop others registering "Android?????" domains.
What Google TM gives them is Protection against anyone Naming a Script and calling it "Android" and promoting it, including downloading it from a website and so on.
Basically what I trying to say is, re-read the Australian IP protection laws regarding trademarks and domains.

Last edited:

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
point is if they wish to start a site relating to the product they may very well be able to , you really need to stop arguing for the sake of it , the reference to the lawyers fees are that in the case mentioned above they paid lawyers fees and won the case , but you knew that already

snoopy

Top Contributor
yes you can TM a Domain name URL
i.e. "AndroidTablet.com.au"

Plus Google "Android" as a Class 9 TM does not give them protection against someone else registering a Related but NON-identical Domain name at all.
Owning the TM "ANDROID" Does not stop others registering "Android?????" domains.
What Google TM gives them is Protection against anyone Naming a Script and calling it "Android" and promoting it, including downloading it from a website and so on.
Basically what I trying to say is, re-read the Australian IP protection laws regarding trademarks and domains.

Like I said,

"A trademark can be a url but there is no such thing as having a trademark "for use a domain name"."

The problem with what you are arguing here is you are arguing is though "Android Tablets" this is a generic term that could legitimately relate to areas outside of Google product, like having a trademark of "Orange" for mobile phones whilst someone else wants to sell a product called "Chocolate Orange".

"Android Tablets" is term that specifically relates to Google's product, it doesn't have any other meaning generic or otherwise.

snoopy

Top Contributor
point is if they wish to start a site relating to the product they may very well be able to , you really need to stop arguing for the sake of it , the reference to the lawyers fees are that in the case mentioned above they paid lawyers fees and won the case , but you knew that already

That isn't the facts here though, they've registered a name and are asking what it could be sold for. I think most people would see the current use as domain speculation.

Domainers seem to do this a lot, someone puts a name up for appraisal with TM problems them people tell them "It could be ok if....", whilst the "if" part is entirely different to what is being done with the name. It is just a whole lot of bad advice that is potentially going to lead people to waste a lot of money.

djuqa

Top Contributor
That isn't the facts here though, they've registered a name and are asking what it could be sold for. I think most people would see the current use as domain speculation.

Domainers seem to do this a lot, someone puts a name up for appraisal with TM problems them people tell them "It could be ok if....", whilst the "if" part is entirely different to what is being done with the name. It is just a whole lot of bad advice that is potentially going to lead people to waste a lot of money.
Valuation
AndroidTablet(s).com.au $2000 each ($5000 the pair)

GilesColey

djuqa, of course its a trademark, you need to read about internet law before arguing.

Go and post the question on any of the major domain forums and see what answer you get. You will get answers from well-known internet lawyers who fight cases like this every week.

Do you think you could go and register Microsoft.tk, think about it...

I know I know, Im a bit late here

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members