What's new

Amazon testing drones for deliveries

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Thought this was a fairly clever use of emerging technologies in ecommerce:

Amazon, the world's largest online retailer, is testing unmanned drones to deliver goods to customers, Chief Executive Jeff Bezos says.

The drones, called Octocopters, could deliver packages weighing up to 2.3kg to customers within 30 minutes of them placing the order

Maybe we'll be getting our pizzas this way soon :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906

Ashman

Top Contributor
I can see an emerging Drone Insurance market as a result of this type of commercial application.

aus11

Top Contributor
Cool idea, but I didn't see any mention of shipping costs. Can't see it being cheap.

m8e

Top Contributor
Interesting article.

And did you read the last bit....

"Zookal, an Australian textbook rental company, announced earlier this year that it would start using drones to make deliveries from 2015 if approved by Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority."

Amazon needs to put some blade protectors on that thing though!

findtim

Top Contributor
kim: hello , thankyou for calling amazon.

tony: hi, I was just wondering about a book I ordered?

kim: ok sir I will just check, hmmm, it seems your book has been attacked by an eagle which forced it down onto route 66 then got run over by a truck, but our google satelite is watching it ... hang on i'll speak to out coordinator, " HEY JOHN, 1945362 has gone down ! pause, I don't give a F if its lunchtime the bloody thing is on route 66 !!!!!!!!! , REBOOT IT, "

kim: ok sir it does seem to be crawling towards the side of the road now so we can send out another drone to pick it up, opps no, it got hit by another truck, "OH S^^T ........JOHN WTF get that thing off the road,

kim: ok sir its now off road, o shit a coyote just got it !

kim: "JOHN, fire up "googlelaser" and shot that bloody coyote."

kim: ok sir, sorry for the delay , we have now shot the coyote and your book is now safe although a little damaged so we will also be sending you a gift voucher for your trouble.

kim: " JOHN, you got that F'n rescue drone in the air yet" ?

tony: I was actually ringing to cancel the order.

-----------

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members