What's new

ajax loaded content

helloworld

Top Contributor
Working on a site.

The developer has set up a page using Ajax to pull content from other page.

The main page is Services. It pulls content from:

/services/residential
/services/corporate
/body corporate

content is indexed twice in Google.

What is the best practice in this case? Do I set a canonical to point from /services/residential to /services?

Services is one of the main pages indexed under brand search.

I might be answering my own question here but:

Should I re-write services page and kill off the ajax?

petermeadit

Top Contributor
My first thoughts would be to figure how to avoid the duplicate content by rewriting or changing the code a bit.

Other than that set a canonical to point the services page. But this feels a bit wrong maybe.

assuming all these are indexed

/services/residential
/services/corporate
/body corporate

why don't you just noindex the new page that pulls in content from these other pages?

petermeadit

Top Contributor
assuming all these are indexed

/services/residential
/services/corporate
/body corporate

why don't you just noindex the new page that pulls in content from these other pages?

Or if you want the services page to rank, you could noindex these three?
Personally I would be looking at a way to try and make the content unique for these urls so there are more useful urls that get indexed.

How much content is on these three pages? If you are talking over 300-500 words, then I would look at perhaps a summary or a rewritten verson of the copy.

HTH

helloworld

Top Contributor
Yeah I don't think no index is the go, though I did originally consider that. these pages don't rank, though they really should.

I am thinking a re-write of content is the way to go and remove the ajax loading from these sub pages.

I would suggest only having excerpt content on your main services page which links through to the sub page content in full. Thus avoiding duplicate content indexing. Also, a friendlier UX for the user. Custom write your excerpt if that helps too.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Just updating.

I've removed the content on the services page, and replaced with image boxes with text for brief description, these now click through to each page instead. i.e. services/home/painting

I also added each item to the top menu. I've seen a nice spike in results since doing this.

Cheers

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members