What's new

Afilias whois mistake to increase unneeded domain complaints

DomainShield

Top Contributor
Can anyone tell me why the status of domains has gone from OK to serverRenewProhibted. I'm seeing it with a bunch of domains. What does this mean? Is auda in a legal dispute with the ATO?
"This status code indicates your domain's Registry Operator will not allow your registrar to renew your domain. It is an uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal disputes or when your domain is subject to deletion."
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/epp-status-codes-2014-06-16-en

View attachment 1048
You know the rule about not renewing until 90 days from expiry?
Well Afilias’ implementation is to add a serverRenewProhibited status instead of “ok” and “inactive”.
The domains can still be transferred (in theory) some registrars still looking for “ok” and “inactive” need to update their systems.

It is causing lots of problems and no amount of protesting from me during OTE could convince them to not use it.

There are a few more status changes like pendingDelete (Client requested delete) and pendingDelete (Client requested policy delete) have been replaced by just pendingDelete in whois and pendingDelete (redemption) in EPP. No amount of protesting or saying it was part of policy could get them to change that either.

- Anthony

DomainShield

Top Contributor
Do AUDA actually publish how many domain complaints they deal with on a yearly basis or does anyone have any idea?
At the auIGF they used to have a session on it by Vanessa. Recently they showed figures at an AGM but noting since then that I know of.

Not sure if our registrars count but we used to get 3 complaints in a year and now we get about 3 per month so it feels to me like there are more.

- Anthony

Jimboot

Top Contributor
Well Afilias’ implementation is to add a serverRenewProhibited status instead of “ok” and “inactive”.
The domains can still be transferred (in theory) some registrars still looking for “ok” and “inactive” need to update their systems.

It is causing lots of problems and no amount of protesting from me during OTE could convince them to not use it.

There are a few more status changes like pendingDelete (Client requested delete) and pendingDelete (Client requested policy delete) have been replaced by just pendingDelete in whois and pendingDelete (redemption) in EPP. No amount of protesting or saying it was part of policy could get them to change that either.

- Anthony
Wow thanks - that's crazy.

DomainNames

Top Contributor

- Anthony

Now you are seeing problems .... When is the drop catching starting? July 15th at the earliest?

There are more problems than anyone is admitting and some people have the auDA Gag orders put on them to stay silent.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
POINT TAKEN, and i agree.

i will bring this up with the chair tomorrow by phone.
tim

Tim they didn't fix it mate

https://whois.domaintools.com/news.com.au
Domain Name: NEWS.COM.AU
Registry Domain ID: D407400000001615931-AU
Registrar WHOIS Server:
Registrar URL:
Last Modified:
Registrar Name: NetNames Pty Ltd
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
Reseller Name:
Registrant Contact ID: C3138156-AU
Registrant Contact Name: News Limited Domain Manager
Tech Contact ID: C3138156-AU
Tech Contact Name: News Limited Domain Manager
Name Server: USC1.AKAM.NET
Name Server: USC4.AKAM.NET
Name Server: NS1-24.AKAM.NET
Name Server: NS1-50.AKAM.NET
Name Server: USW1.AKAM.NET
Name Server: ASIA1.AKAM.NET
DNSSEC: unsigned
Registrant: NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA PTY LIMITED
Registrant ID: ABN 73163992774
Eligibility Type: Company
URL of the auDA Complaint Form:
https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-services/submit-a-domain-complaint-/

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Wow thanks - that's crazy.
Now you are seeing problems .... When is the drop catching starting? July 15th at the earliest?

There are more problems than anyone is admitting and some people have the auDA Gag orders put on them to stay silent.
As soon as I get consistent access to the drop lists I'll start asking about when they plan to drop them for you.

Is the auDA gag order you refer to the Registrars (and auDA directors) contractual agreement not to bring the industry, auDA or the Registry Operator into disrepute? That ones seems to make sense right? If we all started pointing fingers and taking cheap shots it would be like a recent basketball match with all the Registrars being dragged off the bench into the fray. The outcome makes headlines but at the end of the day it becomes an embarrassing footnote.

- Anthony

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members