What's new

adsl versus cable

geodomains

Top Contributor
After over 2 weeks waiting for Bigpond and numerous no shows to connect a cable service and numerous phone calls and run around, I finally have had enough today when they did not show up for connection.

They somehow don't have a record of my booking , yet have a CN number, complaint number ect.

They offered me 2nd April as earliest for connection.

The new place I am in has been set up for ADSL to most rooms.

I've only ever used cable, so don't know what ADSL is like, just want to get away from Telstra.

Can anyone tell me what adsl is like for speed?

Don

payattention

Archived Member
I had cable while I was living in Melbourne but I've almost always had a dsl connection. Cable is great but I walked away from that regretting I ever took up the offer despite how nice 100mbit was. It's just not worth dealing with Telstra.

As for dsl, there really isn't much of a difference unless you're downloading large amounts of data and need it quickly. You should get a faster upload speed on dsl as Bigpond cap the cable upload speed for god knows what reason.

As I do a lot of gaming, latency is a big issue but cable's ping is only slightly lower; it's negligible and you can't really tell a difference.

Even if I could get cable where I'm living now, I'd pass (unless offered by someone other than Telstra or Optus) and go for naked adsl with voip instead.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Were you getting Telstra Elite or Ultimate (100mpbs)? Ultimate would certainly be worth the wait over ADSL2 imo unless you live really close to the exchange.

James

Top Contributor
I am on Bigpond Cable Extreme or something, I use to use ADSL, in my opinion Cable is far quicker probably like 10-20 times...As said above it really depends how far away you are from the exchange too with ADSL.

I also agree with the comments about Bigponds service ect, had a few issues and they are very bad to deal with, you have to pretty much work things out yourself or chase issues your self lol

geodomains

Top Contributor
Well thanks for some info on adsl, after the last 2 weeks odd of being stuffed around by the idiots at Telstra, I have a choice to go to Optus cable or adsl from other providers.

If anyone else has some experience with adsl positive or negetive, I would love to here.

Don

James

Top Contributor
Well thanks for some info on adsl, after the last 2 weeks odd of being stuffed around by the idiots at Telstra, I have a choice to go to Optus cable or adsl from other providers.

If anyone else has some experience with adsl positive or negetive, I would love to here.

Don

Another thing you can try is, do not call up Telstra business via the consumer hotline, give the business lines a call and act on behalf of your business.

Same goes for Optus you will find they have more dedicated resources to act quicker.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member