Tech Contact Email ceo@auda.org.au
Name Server ns1.auda.org.au
Name Server IP 203.202.88.210
Name Server ns2.auda.org.au
Name Server IP 58.65.248.153

So who is going to risk it hehe =)

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Odd that names like victoria.com.au, vic.com.au, nsw.com.au, wa.com.au etc are restricted but this one is OK.

Although I see that nt.com.au and sa.com.au are both registered. Anyone know why this is?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Also ACT! is one of the world's biggest small business CRM products (from Sage)

act.com is owned by them for their US operations whereas over here they use sagebusiness.com.au

Funny that auda would register it and then let it expire although they do have a heap of weird and wonderful domains registered to them

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
We have been notified by the Registry that this name will be purged today but will not be able to be snapped/registered by anyone.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Also ACT! is one of the world's biggest small business CRM products (from Sage)

act.com is owned by them for their US operations whereas over here they use sagebusiness.com.au

Funny that auda would register it and then let it expire although they do have a heap of weird and wonderful domains registered to them

when you say registered to them, are they sites ? i was unaware the auda have sites/names

can someone clarify their role as an owner , example are these run for profit etc

Is it seen as a conflict of interest by some ?

Love to know some views

Mark

Top Contributor
What's the story behind this?

ACT is on the reserved list, which is an auDA policy restricting registering certain domains:

www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2011-02/

Specifically:

"The names and abbreviations of Australian states and territories and the name “Australia” are regarded as names of national significance and as such are reserved from general use."

I don't understand this really. The geo names that used to be on the reserved list once upon a time were removed, yet the states stayed on. I would have thought that Sydney/Melbourne etc has just as much national significance as NSW/ACT....unless it has something to do with the CGDN's someway.

I don't know why NT.com.au and SA.com.au seem to be exempt, or why ACT.com.au was under auDA control, but I'll try and get an answer.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I thought maybe they could be seen as being confusingly similar to .xxx.gov.au's/could be seen to be passing yourself off as a govt body

Mark

Top Contributor
Just an update for those interested, I got an response from auDA:

"The ACT.com.au domain name is now reserved as it is an abbreviation of an Australian Territory and can only be released (so long as applicant is eligible to under the relevant eligibility and allocation policy rules) if the applicant has written authorisation to use the name from the ACT territory government (which previous registrant had).

NT.com.au and SA.com.au were granted before implementation of this policy and are ‘grandfathered’."

I was pointed in the direction of this too:

http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-01092004/

Which briefly details the geo domain name restriction

Cheers
Mark

shags38

Top Contributor
Just an update for those interested, I got an response from auDA:

"The ACT.com.au domain name is now reserved as it is an abbreviation of an Australian Territory and can only be released (so long as applicant is eligible to under the relevant eligibility and allocation policy rules) if the applicant has written authorisation to use the name from the ACT territory government (which previous registrant had).

NT.com.au and SA.com.au were granted before implementation of this policy and are ‘grandfathered’."

I was pointed in the direction of this too:

http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-01092004/

Which briefly details the geo domain name restriction

Cheers
Mark

Hair splitting - ACT is not an abbreviation of Australian Capital Territory = A.C.T. is the correct abbreviation. ACT is a "real word" with many meanings and as such should not be on any restricted list IMO. Unfortunately proper English is becoming a thing of the past. Members of the Board of auDA should refer to English Language experts before making arbitrary decisions like this which is based on unfounded presumptions. If the presumption is that the owner would indulge in passing off then there are rules and regulations to cover that IF it was to happen, presumptions of guilt are contradictory to our constitution. At what point does the auDA draw a line between protecting consumers and interfering in free enterprise?

The mind boggles.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
when you say registered to them, are they sites ? i was unaware the auda have sites/names

can someone clarify their role as an owner , example are these run for profit etc

Is it seen as a conflict of interest by some ?

Love to know some views

No one willing to answer ?

nina

Top Contributor
I never thought of that being A.C.T - I thought of the ACT software I used to use and it's still being used by millions of people around the world - does anyone know of that software?

Nina

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members