What's new

ABC TV auDA story

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
The ACCC bloke shouted me down, we were literally screaming over the top of one another. I don't understand it. Surely the ACCC is there to protect the consumer? Why has there not been a price drop in .com.au given that new domains don't have the same rights?

Spinning off the .au won't confuse people, will it?

ACCC.com.au looks nothing like ACCC.au

DomainNames

Top Contributor
https://www.auda.org.au/news/abc-news-24-the-business-looks-at-direct-registration/
Direct Registration story on ABC News 24
Posted by auDA on 13 March 2018

ABC News 24’s ‘The Business’ last night (12/3) ran a story the proposed direct registration policy currently being considered by the Policy Review Panel.

You can watch the piece on the ABC site here.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Yes indeed, if .gov.au gets a ticket in the lucky dip too.

It is crucial that Government uses .gov.au People then know and trust the website content far more. Where Government has used non government websites .gov.au ( except for Tourism) it has caused major problems. This is globally recognised and why most governments worldwide use .gov in their extension.

With now 1700 different domain name extensions people are more trusting of the originals .com, .com.au , .co.uk, .co.nz, .gov.uk . .gov, .gov.nz, .gov.sg, .gov.au .edu.au, .asn.edu etc . The vast variations of domain name extension confusion creating name space instability and this affects users also.

snoopy

Top Contributor
It is crucial that Government uses .gov.au People then know and trust the website content far more. Where Government has used non government websites .gov.au ( except for Tourism) it has caused major problems. This is globally recognised and why most governments worldwide use .gov in their extension.

That makes a lot of sense, .gov.au is highly respected, if some started using .au it would muddy the waters as to who people are dealing with.

findtim

Top Contributor
just this week i got an email from asic telling me my business name was to expire, i've had a few and ignored them as they look dodgy, you know....well created like the bank ones that ask you to change your password.

but i stopped and checked the links and it looked legit ! as they had .gov.au in them

so EVEN then, with all my knowledge i STILL didn't click the links in the email, instead i closed the email and went to asic myself and signed in, only to find it was true and paid my renewal fees.

BUT thats me ! most people wouldn't do that much checking.

tim

Jimboot

Top Contributor
That's a major concern of mine Tim, phishing. What data do we have? Do we have projections of what increase there will be? Is that data around somewhere like Scamwatch.gov.au? I can't find it.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo