What's new

A few Australian domains on DN Journal this week!

James

Top Contributor
http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

CreditCards.net.au $22,002 NetFleet.com.au
Calculator.com.au $11,988 VirtualPropertyExpert.com.au
OnlineApproval.com.au $10,800 VirtualPropertyExpert.com.au
Calculators.com.au $7,452 VirtualPropertyExpert.com.au

Other notable sales:

NetFleet.com.au rang up $2,223 for Jewellery.co.nz, $2,160, $1,731 for Rentobuy.com.au and $1,109 for Plates.com.au. Meanwhile. VirtualPropertyExpert.com.au picked up $2,160 for OnlineApproval.net.au.

Congrats to Virtual Property Expert on the healthy sales.

James

Top Contributor
My guess is the credit cards domain was done via bank transfer.

The other two you would be at the advisable of Virtual Property Expert, he is a member here.

Max

Top Contributor
So what happened to you Max? I would have sold a couple of hundred .au domains over the years used escrow on about 2 but rest were done without with no problem

Hi David,

So what happened to me .. i'm still around ..

//I would have sold a couple of hundred .au domains over the years used escrow on about 2 but rest were done without with no problem//

So back to the buyer trusted you thing

James said .. //My guess is the credit cards domain was done via bank transfer.//

So back to the trust me thing ?

I am selling and the buyer isn't trusting me hence my curiosity about AU transfers/escrow ...

.com sales are normally all escrow transactions unless between well known domainer persons ..

There appears to be no known trusted escrow service in Australia besides a lawyer .. other than that it's pay ya money and take ya chances .. that doesn't happen in the .com world.

Shane

Top Contributor
I've bought and sold a few AU domains in the $x,xxx range. All of them have been bank transfers backed by nothing more than trust.

My largest sale involved a 50% pre-transfer payment followed by a 50% post-transfer payment. That worked well as the trust factor worked both ways.

I guess you get a vibe for the other party during negotiations and you make a judgement on whether or not you trust them to do the right thing.

I also worked in collections for a finance company many years ago, so I'm reasonably confident in my skills when it comes to tracking people down and getting money out of them. :)

DavidL

Top Contributor
Hi David,

No I just meant it sounded like you'd been burnt cos of all this escrow stuff so i wondered whether there had been a specific incident

.com sales are normally all escrow transactions unless between well known domainer persons ..

That's because a .com transaction is much riskier. It's often an international transaction and the buyer/seller doesn't have to have an ABN connected to the name like in .AU.

gTLD domaining is a nightmare, let's face it. 99% of domainers get burnt by the hype and lose all their money and there are scams and ripoffs everywhere.

In my experience, in Australia at least, the buyer will trust you if you just do a few simple things:

1) Provide a professional looking invoice
2) Offer bank transfer as a payment method as well as Paypal
3) Provide a physical street address and phone number
4) Explain clearly and precisely the method of transfer
5) Be prompt and courteous
6) Try and complete the sale through Netfleet or another third party

Honestly, you do that and 99% of buyers will be quite happy to pay up front before transfer.

acheeva

Top Contributor
My largest sale involved a 50% pre-transfer payment followed by a 50% post-transfer payment. That worked well as the trust factor worked both ways.

I found to be the most effective way of dealing with larger transactions

James

Top Contributor
Hi David,

//I would have sold a couple of hundred .au domains over the years used escrow on about 2 but rest were done without with no problem//

So back to the buyer trusted you thing

James said .. //My guess is the credit cards domain was done via bank transfer.//

So back to the trust me thing ?

I am selling and the buyer isn't trusting me hence my curiosity about AU transfers/escrow ...

There appears to be no known trusted escrow service in Australia besides a lawyer .. other than that it's pay ya money and take ya chances .. that doesn't happen in the .com world.

Yeah I know what can happen with Escrow, one time I did a XX,xxx sale to a .com buyer and he said he cant pay me until he sells some shares or something, so I had to wait 15 days to get the money very annoying.

But most other big sales I have done people want you to just go on Skype first to have a chat, then once you have a chat then do the deal via Escrow.
This been said usually it is dealing with people on Flippa who have sold thousands to hundreds of thousands with highly active accounts.

Max

Top Contributor
No I just meant it sounded like you'd been burnt cos of all this escrow stuff so i wondered whether there had been a specific incident

That's because a .com transaction is much riskier. It's often an international transaction and the buyer/seller doesn't have to have an ABN connected to the name like in .AU.

gTLD domaining is a nightmare, let's face it. 99% of domainers get burnt by the hype and lose all their money and there are scams and ripoffs everywhere.

In my experience, in Australia at least, the buyer will trust you if you just do a few simple things:

1) Provide a professional looking invoice
2) Offer bank transfer as a payment method as well as Paypal
3) Provide a physical street address and phone number
4) Explain clearly and precisely the method of transfer
5) Be prompt and courteous
6) Try and complete the sale through Netfleet or another third party

Honestly, you do that and 99% of buyers will be quite happy to pay up front before transfer.

I'm glad for you guys that this honour system all works onkydory for you ..

Lets try putting the boot on the other foot .. What do you do if you get the chance to purchase an AU name from a private individual or a smallish corporation even a big one do you happily pay them the money up front and just sit back and wait for them to transfer the name to you ?

My guess is you dont ..

When selling an AU domain why is it all on the purchaser to have to pay direct up front ? if everyone trusts everyone when it comes to AU sales why dont you guys transfer the name to the buyer first and you wait to get paid ..

Aint gonna happen is it ..

All of this is not doing me any good as i wanted to be paid upfront but the buyer obviously doesn't trust me so i have had to go the escrow route i cant say that i blame the buyer as i would probably have done the same thing.

I hope that this was a worthwile excercise in AU domain escrow potential problems ..

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo