What's new

2012 Industry Advisory Panel

soj

Founder
auDa yesterday announced the panelists to the 2012 Industry Advisory Panel, and a few DNT members have been appointed. :)

• Erhan Karabardak - Cooper Mills

• Brett Fenton - NetRegistry Group

• Angelo Giuffrida - VentraIP

• Ned O'Meara - (yours truly!) DN Trade

I think it is great to be participants in helping discuss and recommend future policy directions. :)

The purpose of the Panel is to:

• review the structure and regulation of the Australian domain name industry;

• provide recommendations to the auDA Board about what changes (if any) should be made to the competition model.

For those that may be interested, here is the link to the Terms of Reference.

http://www.auda.org.au/2012iap/2012iap-tor

Cheers, Ned

Thanks guys, the key will be participation by DNT members in the public consultation process. It is important to have your voices heard. Usually there are public surveys, take the time to complete them when they are released

soj

Founder
The auDA 2012 Industry Advisory Panel has published an issues paper, and seeks comment from you!

You can do a submission - or easier still, you can just do an online survey.

http://www.auda.org.au/2012iap/2012iap-index/

This has also just got some publicity - see the three links below. The zdnet article gives probably the best summation of what issues have been covered.

Please contribute if you can - the survey is quick and

+1

it is important that everyone from the forum makes a submission.

I went to the auDA drinks night tonight in Melbourne, where most of the directors attended. This is something that came up, that domainers hadn't made any/many submissions to recent requests.

In fact, I was the only person from the forum, it would have been good to get a few of us along - maybe next time!

As Ned says, if you don't have time to make a detailed written submission look at completing the online questionnaire.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
+1

it is important that everyone from the forum makes a submission.

I went to the auDA drinks night tonight in Melbourne, where most of the directors attended. This is something that came up, that domainers hadn't made any/many submissions to recent requests.

In fact, I was the only person from the forum, it would have been good to get a few of us along - maybe next time!

As Ned says, if you don't have time to make a detailed written submission look at completing the online questionnaire.
I had a look at the survey - none of it seemed really relevant to domainers.

soj

Founder
I had a look at the survey - none of it seemed really relevant to domainers.

Chris, respectfully I must disagree.

Have a read of the issues paper again.

e.g.

1.1 How to extract the best value for the Australian Internet community, through whichever registry selection mechanism, beyond 2014.

Essentially, there is just one registry in Australia - so effectively there is a monopoly. As our market grows, is that a good thing? Will it keep domain prices competitive? Should there be a tender process when the agreement comes up for renewal in 2014? Or requests for "Expression of Interest" from other potential registry operators?

The Panel is aware that, while cost effective, another re-negotiation process would further enshrine the incumbent operator and could raise the possibility of decreasing competitive pricing pressures in the future. To address these problems, the Panel suggests that a recommendation to re-negotiate the contract in 2014 should include the condition that auDA must go to full tender in 2018.

Issue 2 deals with registrar accreditation - in particular 2.3 deals with accreditation solely for drop catching purposes. I think this affects domainers, and is worth commenting on.

Issue 4 - The status and regulation of resellers

Quite a few domainers and other members here are resellers. Have a read of this - it's important imho. There are quite a few issues raised.

For instance, should resellers be listed on the WhoIs?

The Panel invites any other comments and suggestions relating to the status and recognition of resellers.

Issue 5 - The policy and process for registrar transfers

This directly affects domainers and domain owners. Is the current system ideal? Is it secure enough? etc etc.

Also:

5.3 Bulk domain name transfers by resellers.

In conjunction with the previous discussion issue, the Panel has specifically considered the current limitations placed upon resellers with regard to bulk transfers and their decreased ability to move their portfolios between registrars.

Panel members believe that the prohibition on bulk transfers as it applies to resellers has the effect of limiting competition and reseller mobility, and that resellers should be recognised as informed users and distinct entities in the marketplace and not as clients that “belong” to one registrar.
To that end, the Panel is inclined to the view that bulk reseller transfers be allowed, subject to similar mandatory notification and opt-out provisions for registrants as those mentioned in Issue 5.2.

------------------------------------

At the end of the day, if you don't comment or do the survey, then your point of view is never going to be considered. Simple as that.

You don't have to answer all the questions - just those that you think are relevant to you.

Here's the link to the survey again: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KXH7J36

Please give your thoughts - it really is important.

Cheers, Ned

neddy

Top Contributor
At the end of the day, if you don't comment or do the survey, then your point of view is never going to be considered. Simple as that.

You don't have to answer all the questions - just those that you think are relevant to you.

Please give your thoughts - it really is important.

Cheers, Ned

Thank you to those few of you that gave responses via survey; and to Simon Johnson who gave a detailed submission. :) The submission period is now finished.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that more of "us" didn't take the time to give their points of view. By "us" I mean domainers, domain owners, service providers, resellers and dropcatchers.

Why?

Because organisations like "ACCAN" (The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network) file official responses that (in part) are totally contrary to our interests and livelihoods.
If there are not alternate viewpoints put across, then the danger is more weight gets given to their submissions.

Here is one excerpt from their submission:

“Drop-catching”

Small businesses are particularly vulnerable to the practice of drop-catching, where a domain name owner inadvertently allows a domain name to lapse and that domain name is then re-registered by another party with the intent of re-selling it.

Domain names are closely connected with a business’s goodwill and reputation, and are often related to a trade name or to intellectual property.

ACCAN regards “drop-catching” in these circumstances as a practice which is not in the public interest or the interests of consumers and should be discouraged. Registrants should have greater protections against opportunistic practices in order to avoid scenarios where a small business has to repurchase its inadvertently lapsed domain name, adopt a less desirable domain name, or take legal action against the new registrant.

A business’s commercial success or failure often depends upon the security of their domain name. In order to minimise the risk of inadvertent lapsing of domain names, the possibility of coupling the domain registration process and the registration processes for trademarks, ABN, and ACN should be considered. Ideally, the registration of business names and domain names should be integrated.

ACCAN do make some good points in their submission, but the above is not one of them imho (for many reasons).

All the submissions and survey responses are here. http://www.auda.org.au/2012iap/2012iap-index/

Thank you to those few of you that gave responses via survey; and to Simon Johnson who gave a detailed submission. :) The submission period is now finished.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that more of "us" didn't take the time to give their points of view. By "us" I mean domainers, domain owners, service providers, resellers and dropcatchers.

Why?

Because organisations like "ACCAN" (The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network) file official responses that (in part) are totally contrary to our interests and livelihoods.
If there are not alternate viewpoints put across, then the danger is more weight gets given to their submissions.

Here is one excerpt from their submission:

ACCAN do make some good points in their submission, but the above is not one of them imho (for many reasons).

All the submissions and survey responses are here. http://www.auda.org.au/2012iap/2012iap-index/

Interesting, it is evident that ACCAN are not familiar with the Eligibility Policy, the auDRP or the fact that even if drop services didn't exist anyone could register a domain when it became available. It is because of drop services that businesses can get domains back when they forget to renew them, case on point today is nike.com.au, Nike Australia let it drop and caught it back today.

The point Ned makes is a good one, we need more people from the forum responding to auDA calls for submissions and putting their point of view across. Otherwise we will continue to get unchallenged submissions from all sorts of individuals and organisations.

neddy

Top Contributor
The point Ned makes is a good one, we need more people from the forum responding to auDA calls for submissions and putting their point of view across. Otherwise we will continue to get unchallenged submissions from all sorts of individuals and organisations.

Ok, we're at the pointy end of this Panel. Draft recommendations have been made, and the public / industry groups get a final chance to comment.

Public Consultation

The Panel has released its Draft Recommendations, September 2012 for public comment.

Stakeholders that would like to comment on the draft recommendations are invited to send their submissions to:

auDA Industry Advisory Panel
Email: paul.szyndler@auda.org.au
Fax: 03 8341 4112

Electronic submissions are preferred. All submissions will be posted to the auDA website within 2 working days of receipt, unless clearly marked as confidential.

Alternatively, respondents may wish to complete an online survey at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PZ3JCJT

A compendium of survey responses will be published on the auDA website at the close of the public consultation period.

The closing date for submissions and survey responses is Friday 19 October 2012.

Whilst it is better to read all of the Draft Recommendations, auDA have done an Executive Summary of the main issues and recommendations.

• So, if you're worried about how domains are currently managed; or about domain pricing etc; then please comment on Issue 1.

• And if you're a reseller, please have a look at Issue 4. For the first time, a reseller has the opportunity to be included on the WhoIs. This gives resellers some recognition,
    and helps the business model. Do you agree or disagree?

If there are other issues you want to comment on, please do so.

Here again is the link to the survey. It doesn't take long to do - and if you don't want to comment on some Issues, just say "no comment".

Or you can do a written submission - whichever you prefer.

Last edited:
Both Ned and I have been making our views known on the panel, and looking out for our industry in all of the meetings, so please respond to this, even if it is a quick email. It is really important that we get input from forum members

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Thanks guys. I just completed the survery.

I think it's important that we make the effort. Some of the changes up for review could easily influence wholesale prices.

chris

Top Contributor
Thanks guys. I just completed the survery.

I think it's important that we make the effort. Some of the changes up for review could easily influence wholesale prices.

Totally agree with FPR, these are important issues and it's great that we have an opportunity to provide feedback.

Cheers,
Chris

neddy

Top Contributor
I probably don't need to give this a bump because all you serious domain owners and resellers have already done the survey. ;)

"Tell him he's dreaming"! :D

Seriously though, if you are interested in what happens in our com.au space, please give your 2 cents worth.

Here again is the link to the survey. It doesn't take long to do - and if you don't want to comment on some Issues, just say "no comment".

Cheers, Ned

Ok, we're at the pointy end of this Panel. Draft recommendations have been made, and the public / industry groups get a final chance to comment.

Whilst it is better to read all of the Draft Recommendations, auDA have done an Executive Summary of the main issues and recommendations.

• So, if you're worried about how domains are currently managed; or about domain pricing etc; then please comment on Issue 1.

• And if you're a reseller, please have a look at Issue 4. For the first time, a reseller has the opportunity to be included on the WhoIs. This gives resellers some recognition,
    and helps the business model. Do you agree or disagree?

If there are other issues you want to comment on, please do so.

Or you can do a written submission - whichever you prefer.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo