What's new

13,000 spam emails !

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I have discovered my hosting account has 13,000 spam emails which considering i have not set up any email accounts is quite a feat !

So far i have not got a straight answer from the hosting company on how to get rid of them or why they have appeared

Did a virus scan offered by the hosting cpanel and found there were 25 assorted trojans and other nasty's

....amazing

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
The reply after i received deleted/destroyed 25 virus found in the mail server:

Hi Rod,

You cannot cancel the default account as that is part of cPanel and is your catchall account.

I checked the account and it is only 35.46 MB in size. You claim it is letting viruses in to your account which makes absolutely no sense. It is literally impossible. That is simply a catchall email address that mail is sent to, no one has access to it or can do any harm from it. The ONLY way a hacker can tamper with your site is if they get your cPanel password which is extremely rare or by hacking scripts and software you use which is the most common method. As long as you keep ALL of your script up to date and delete any files in your public_html folder you do not use you should be safe from hackers.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
That's right, website is safe.

Strange that they enabled a catch all account by default. If you switch off that option the spam should stop.

Joel

Top Contributor
I don't think your account would've been hacked.

If you ask the host nicely they should be able to delete the emails for you quite quickly.

If they won't do it for you and you have SSH access you can delete the emails from /home/<account>/mail/cur/ (assuming it's a default setup).

Cheers

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
The cpanel has a feature called spam assassin and it now it is enabled it seems to have stopped them dead, there was a score system which i set to 'conservative'

The company is called hostupon/com and i cannot recommend them as there is downtown up to three times a week lately

I did send a message to ventra and i am hoping they have the 'fantastico' feature which it what i have used to get sites started , it's very easy for dummies like me

joe

Top Contributor
The cpanel has a feature called spam assassin and it now it is enabled it seems to have stopped them dead, there was a score system which i set to 'conservative'

The company is called hostupon/com and i cannot recommend them as there is downtown up to three times a week lately

I did send a message to ventra and i am hoping they have the 'fantastico' feature which it what i have used to get sites started , it's very easy for dummies like me

Looks like they use Installatron instead of Fantastico. Not too sure of the difference but they look pretty similar, should be sufficient for your needs.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I don't think your account would've been hacked.

If you ask the host nicely they should be able to delete the emails for you quite quickly.

If they won't do it for you and you have SSH access you can delete the emails from /home/<account>/mail/cur/ (assuming it's a default setup).

Cheers

I did recently have all my sites hacked and i am not sure how it happened but it did happen

nina

Top Contributor
I did recently have all my sites hacked and i am not sure how it happened but it did happen

Control Panels can be vulnerable because once you know one, they target the lot, often with nuisance files, sometimes maliciously.

I'm cleaning up a site for a UK person who wanted an upgrade, and upon downloading the files I found there were over 3360 individual files dropped into the www root directory and all subsequent folders that were in that build.

This was a malicious hack as the database tables had a _ added to the tables, and some tables deleted. I tried and tried to upgrade it but in the end, I had to cut my losses. I was able to upgrade but not far enough to feel secure so had to create temporary templates for them to log in and copy and paste data.

That was indeed malicious.
Hope your spam is fixed - I use gmail to filter a couple of accounts as I get about thousands of spam per month on a few names and gmail filters that.

Catchalls are bad - we don't allow them for clients any more due how email addresses are often randomly created for sending using common names.

Nina

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members