What's new

Drop Special Auction for Direct .au Domain Names

trellian

Top Contributor
Special Drop Auction Information for direct .au

Changes to terms and conditions to accommodate the Special Drop event on 4 Oct will be added to the bottom of:
https://www.drop.com.au/customer-agreement.html
and to Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ) will be addressed at https://www.drop.com.au/help.html

Important Times/Dates:

Drop.com.au will open a Special Drop auction starting at 3:00 PM 27 September 2022 (AEST) to catch contested direct .au domain names scheduled to be released for registration.

Auction will close at 1:00 PM 3 October 2022 (AEST). Please note, daylight savings begins 2.00 AM Sunday 2 October 2022 (AEST) in ACT, NSW, SA, TAS and VIC.

Domain names caught will be added to accounts on 4 October 2022.

Requirements to participate:

• Active Drop Account
  • Active Auction Access
To begin: Login, and look for 'Special Drop List' information on the site.

Please note that Drop.com.au will be in maintenance mode from 2:00 PM 27 September 2022 (AEST) while Special Drop required changes are implemented across the site. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

We recommended all interested Drop.com.au customers login and review the updated information at your earliest convenience.

Some specifics:

Bids start at $10 and approximately double up at each level, a fewer tiers when comparing to current Drop tiers.
Maximum bid of $50,000 is set for on any one domain. We recommend to get your bids in early if you have a name at this level as it will be 1st come 1st served.
Bids only become public if you have or had a winning bid. You will see if you need to bid more, but will not see how much unless you have had the winning bid previously on specific domains.

Last edited:

jamesau

Have you put some additional resources in place for the day?

This will be the first time I imagine you are competing for thousands of domains rather than just a few dozen.

Will you be prioritizing orders of higher value?

trellian

Top Contributor
Have have tried to stress test this as much as we could.

To reduce the loads and to better cope with large volume of bids a few changes and optimizations were made to our current drop auction interface.

This is help on a special page, where we have created a new function for BULK bids.

The main differences is that we are not showing the bid amounts in real time as that reduced the page load times. We also do not show winning bids by default, only the bids you are currently losing. The fewer names visible on page the more stable the page will be.

As always we recommend for clients to place their bids in early as last minute the system may experience time outs and take much longer to load. So if you with to do some bids last minute you might not be able to.

jamesau

Have have tried to stress test this as much as we could.

To reduce the loads and to better cope with large volume of bids a few changes and optimizations were made to our current drop auction interface.

This is help on a special page, where we have created a new function for BULK bids.

The main differences is that we are not showing the bid amounts in real time as that reduced the page load times. We also do not show winning bids by default, only the bids you are currently losing. The fewer names visible on page the more stable the page will be.

As always we recommend for clients to place their bids in early as last minute the system may experience time outs and take much longer to load. So if you with to do some bids last minute you might not be able to.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess my main consideration is on the backend when it comes to the actual catching process.

If your registries are focused on catching the high value auctions I'm guessing some of the lower value orders might get caught by other backorders.

trellian

Top Contributor
Traditional back order services will not likely catch a domain we have an order for. They are not primed, nor motivated to actually catch domains as they charge regardless of catch success.

trellian

Top Contributor
Once logged in, navigate to the Special Drop List page, and here to get started Click on the Export link to download the top 200k most valued domains.

Then click on Bulk bid and paste in the domains you wish to bid on with the same bid tier and submit.

To see Bids that are below current Bids go to the All Bids page and copy the domains to increase your bid.

trellian

Top Contributor
Correct there is no data listed, you need to build your own list of names to go after. We have provided the top 200k most valuable names in a download.

The rest you need to find and source directly. We will also later provide custom lists based on existing keyword alerts.

DomainShield

Top Contributor

Here is a quick video on how to place bids, skip to 0:28 to see how to download the 200,000 most valuable domains for you to take a look at what is dropping.

trellian

Top Contributor
there are over 2 million names that you can place a bid on, our platform will check if it is dropping and add it to the catch queue

Zyzz

I bid $250 on a domain i want and it went straight to $250 not at the lowest value like it usually does.

How can you change the basic way the site works and confuse people like this.

I only wanted to be $25 to begin with, this is unfair!!

trellian

Top Contributor
The bidding works the the same way that the daily drop auctions work. The tier level you select is the bid. There are no proxy bids on the Drop platform.

If you made an error please contact the support team who will be able to make one time corrections and reduce your bid down to $25

Keep in mind that the tier pricing comes with an advantage and unlike proxy bids, due to the doubling of tier values, you have now secured that tier and you now know that the only way to be out bid is by someone willing to pay $500, double of what you were willing to pay.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I got a winning bid in at the $25 level, next minit somebody's come in over the top and it's at the $5,000 level. I think they may have also misunderstood the bidding system :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member