What's new

www.sydneyhomebuyersguide.com & www.sydneyshopper.com - get your sydney on :)

orange

Hi All

Just registered these two.

www.sydneyhomebuyersguide.com
www.sydneyshopper.com

Not worth anything I'm sure but what the heck :)

I think most people know why some Australian Business domains are .com and some are .com.au,

please give your thoughts about the different values for .au and would you go for an .au and ever leave the .com behind?

Cheers and happy Friday!!!!

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
would you go for an .au and ever leave the .com behind?

to me sometimes/most times the .com is useless and is just adding to your expense eg: dubbodentist , sure someone can go and then get the .com but they would tend to look like a prick for doing it i think, having said that i always tell clients this is an option and its purely their decision if they want to incure the extra fees for renewals.

but if you have a .au that is generic and you can get the .com then go for it eg: flowershop , of course you are going to go register the .com

i have a .com that is just redirected to one of my .au sites but now i am going to make it into its own site and market it in the USA as a seperate site doing exactly the same thing because there is a large city with the same name in the US, i've been thinking about it for years but it was just last month i met a webdesigner in melbourne who is from that area of the states and pitched the idea and she thought it was a goer so stuff it give it a go.

my rule of thumb is if your business runs only in oz then just go the .au if it sells overseas or has clients coming from overseas then grab the .com

the other thing is a term used in australia is often not a term used in other countries eg "real estate" is not used in england ( i've been told ) optometrist is not used as much in the USA as optometry.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thee names aren't worth anything, wrong extension. Probably wrong keywords as well (is it even worth looking?)

I think most people know why some Australian Business domains are .com and some are .com.au,

What planet have you been living on? The vast majority of Australian businesses use .com.au. That is the default extension in this country.

orange

Thee names aren't worth anything, wrong extension. Probably wrong keywords as well (is it even worth looking?)

What planet have you been living on? The vast majority of Australian businesses use .com.au. That is the default extension in this country.

I find it easy to argue with you, when you know there are a lot of Australian business who realize the potential to be dot com and worldwide, where you been under a rock with your eyes shut? Do you even know what the www bit means?? perhaps you have forgotten

Don't bother commenting on any of my future posts mate, thanks but i don't need your bs posts personally insulting me, seems no one has the guts to argue with you, like your some domain superpower trolling here and not some forgotten wannabee.

have a nice day

johno69

Top Contributor
Both domains = Monthly Searches "Zero" for global, local, exact, broad, whatever spin you want to put on it.

sydneyhomebuyersguide.com.au is available as a hand registration (at time of this post anyway) so it really shows how little this is sought after.

As mentioned, wrong extension too.

Sometimes the truth is brutal, no need to argue no matter how easy you find it.

If they are worth nothing then that's what they are worth. You even admitted it in your initial post.

payattention

Archived Member
Snoopy is right and I don't see how he insulted you although the truth can be a bitter pill to swallow. Maybe it's just me but I think it's a bit rude to ask people to comment on your domains and then react childish towards them because you simply disagree.

orange

Both domains = Monthly Searches "Zero" for global, local, exact, broad, whatever spin you want to put on it.

sydneyhomebuyersguide.com.au is available as a hand registration (at time of this post anyway) so it really shows how little this is sought after.

As mentioned, wrong extension too.

Sometimes the truth is brutal, no need to argue no matter how easy you find it.

If they are worth nothing then that's what they are worth. You even admitted it in your initial post.

And that's how you do it, thanks for that you said nothing personal against me, the reply well thought and precise and even proven umm twice :(

lucky everyone knows how it all works

cheers
Paul

orange

Snoopy is right and I don't see how he insulted you although the truth can be a bitter pill to swallow. Maybe it's just me but I think it's a bit rude to ask people to comment on your domains and then react childish towards them because you simply disagree.

He is not right that Australian businesses don't want to be dot com, I would never accept that idea from anyone and I think its even foolish to think that way, my domains fail in a few ways they and will never be huge sellers but he doesn't know how i will develop them. He insulted me personally and I wont take that from anyone.

Please try and just comment on the value of my domain and not how rude you think i am, or how wrong i am or how right he is.

thanks

snoopy

Top Contributor
I find it easy to argue with you, when you know there are a lot of Australian business who realize the potential to be dot com and worldwide, where you been under a rock with your eyes shut? Do you even know what the www bit means?? perhaps you have forgotten

Don't bother commenting on any of my future posts mate, thanks but i don't need your bs posts personally insulting me, seems no one has the guts to argue with you, like your some domain superpower trolling here and not some forgotten wannabee.

have a nice day

He is not right that Australian businesses don't want to be dot com, I would never accept that idea from anyone and I think its even foolish to think that way, my domains fail in a few ways they and will never be huge sellers but he doesn't know how i will develop them. He insulted me personally and I wont take that from anyone.

Please try and just comment on the value of my domain and not how rude you think i am, or how wrong i am or how right he is.

thanks

I think your viewpoint is flawed and that combined with bad keyword choice has resulted in money wasted here. If you think Australian business prefers .com then that will only play out in bad registration & financial loss because it isn't right.

The vast majority choose .com.au first & it doesn't matter what www. means, the average person on the street would not care just like they don't care what .com means. People see .com as the international internet & .com.au as the Australian internet. An Australian business on .com is like an Australian business with an international phone number, it makes no sense most of the time.

You think you are right? You can believe whatever you like, believe Australian business like .cn if you like, just a long as you aren't betting money on that mistaken belief.

Honan

Top Contributor
Hi All

Just registered these two.

www.sydneyhomebuyersguide.com
www.sydneyshopper.com

Not worth anything I'm sure but what the heck :)

please give your thoughts about the different values for .au and would you go for an .au and ever leave the .com behind?

Cheers and happy Friday!!!!

Excuse my ignorance,

I have no idea why some Australian Business domains are .com and some are .com.au
Can you briefly explain that to me and where you got your data?

It appears your 2 domains do not resolve
Is there a reason for that?

orange

Excuse my ignorance,

I have no idea why some Australian Business domains are .com and some are .com.au
Can you briefly explain that to me and where you got your data?

It appears your 2 domains do not resolve
Is there a reason for that?

This is my point exactly..... we all know they can be a .com or .com.au

I do not see how .com = usa only(I always thought it was for company but this site I found says commercial) shouldn't they be .com.us :D

---cut--- ---cut--- ---cut---
.com to .org and .ad to .au explained
The last word (sometimes words) after the last period (.) of an Internet domain name generally represents either the type of the organization or the geographical location of that particular domain.

For example, microsoft.com (note .com at the end) means that microsoft.com is a domain name of a commercial entity.
Top Level Domains

Example: school_name.EDU = Domain name of an educational institute

ARPA Old style Arpanet
COM Commercial
EDU Educational
GOV Government
INT International field
MIL US Military
NATO Nato field
NET Network
ORG Non-Profit Organization

Country Codes

Example: my_domain.CA = Canadian domain name

AD Andorra
AE United Arab Emirates
AF Afghanistan
AG Antigua and Barbuda
AI Anguilla
AL Albania
AM Armenia
AN Netherland Antilles
AO Angola
AQ Antarctica
AR Argentina
AS American Samoa
AT Austria
AU Australia
---cut--- ---cut--- ---cut---

sorry only pasted to here

I see a lot of Australian businesses just being a .com or both even and I am sure a lot of time and money is spent deciding and the all important thing is what does Google think :)

If you search and select matches from Australia it will only toss up the .com.au

no this is not the case the 4th match down in my super quick search test was an Australian business with a .com

sorry if this is off topic a mile, but I hope i helped you a bit Honan

To answer the second part of your question.... my new domains are waiting for scripts and advert approvals as my boss is a cheapskate (me)

cheers
Paul

johno69

Top Contributor
I do not see how .com = usa only(I always thought it was for company but this site I found says commercial) shouldn't they be .com.us :D

It's all public perception. Users tend to think .com.au is for Australia, and .com is generally not.

You will find some exceptions to the rule, but you will also find with research that the majority of these (or at least the successful ones) started as a .com.au once upon a time.

bigpond.com & nrl.com are 2 examples.

orange

I think your viewpoint is flawed and that combined with bad keyword choice has resulted in money wasted here. If you think Australian business prefers .com then that will only play out in bad registration & financial loss because it isn't right.

The vast majority choose .com.au first & it doesn't matter what www. means, the average person on the street would not care just like they don't care what .com means. People see .com as the international internet & .com.au as the Australian internet. An Australian business on .com is like an Australian business with an international phone number, it makes no sense most of the time.

You think you are right? You can believe whatever you like, believe Australian business like .cn if you like, just a long as you aren't betting money on that mistaken belief.

sorry

I got it, it was quite clear that you thought it was bad, real bad. horrible crash and burn bad

got it

thanks

Timmy

Banned
Orange - suck it up mate and heed the advice :)

The crew are just trying to save you thousands of dollars and countless man hours that you could have wasted developing web pollution for zero return.

Sucks getting the wind kicked out of you at the starting blocks but take it from me, it's a shitload better than seeing your 500 or so first-year-mistakes flood the expired auctions 24 months later for all the world to see haha!

Don't be deterred, give it a couple of months and you can slam the next newcomer :)

T

orange

Orange - suck it up mate and heed the advice :)

The crew are just trying to save you thousands of dollars and countless man hours that you could have wasted developing web pollution for zero return.

Sucks getting the wind kicked out of you at the starting blocks but take it from me, it's a shitload better than seeing your 500 or so first-year-mistakes flood the expired auctions 24 months later for all the world to see haha!

Don't be deterred, give it a couple of months and you can slam the next newcomer :)

T

So I am just being a sore loser by saying what I thought about a personal comment against me?

As i said at the beginning of my post i didn't think they had any value, I have never said they did.

I am happy to spend $20 registering these and try a few web designs and ideas on them, if I had bought them for $500 and then was told they were rubbish then I might be dom-mad. (hope that catches on :))

The crew? I would never slam a newcomer and I didn't know that the crew were aiming to do that, but it does explain the nasty comment that started all this.

Payback for earlier mistakes on the crew's part I guess, in future just try and keep your evaluations to price and if you bother to your justification for that price and pm me one good domain idea. :) and you are forgiven.

thanks

Timmy

Banned
The crew? I would never slam a newcomer and I didn't know that the crew were aiming to do that, but it does explain the nasty comment that started all this.

You'll find that everyone here is friendly - I was just shit stirring cos I was banished to the couch lol

Personally I've always been a fan of concise, no nonsense responses that force me to stop and consider other angles.

I like oranges too.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads