What's new

Wow!

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Wow Indeed.....it makes you wonder what the ACCC is thinking when you see some of the deals that they do allow to go through (like foxtels takeover of Austar...now total monopoly).

I guess CarSales focus now will probably be to push their auction platform on QuickSales more (formerly Oztion) as well as their other standard sales sites.

snoopy

Top Contributor
It is the right decision, tradingpost focus is clearly cars which ebay isn't strong in.

Says right on the front page, "Search for cars and other bargains".

"In recent years the general classifieds and auction space has been increasingly dominated by a single overseas-owned operation," Mr Roebuck said in a statement.

That is a classic given he is himself dominating the market for cars online (claimed 66% market share), if I owned shares is carsales I'd be pretty impressed with a CEO who will try that on with a straight face. Next thing you know he'll be running a bank with this kind of thinking.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
So how diferent is carsales wanting to takeover the operations of tradingpost (under licence) to ebay successfully buying gumtree?

snoopy

Top Contributor
So how diferent is carsales wanting to takeover the operations of tradingpost (under licence) to ebay successfully buying gumtree?

That was 7 years ago, (how big was gumtree in australia then?). Not sure how much input the ACCC would have had over this either was ebay being US based.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Not sure but I think ebay Australia is/could be a seperate entity to ebay international but you are right about ACCC, Gumtree was UK based and successful even 7 years ago.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_eBay .

On a sidenote (not dirtectly related to the thread, but online sales platform related) out of interst I found this....
http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/aap/8581255/fairfax-sells-trade-me-to-reduce-debt

Its interesting that a former head of Ebay Australia now CEO of Netus will be working with 'Fairfax to identify new digital business opportunities' (yet trademe provided a decent return (apparently)).

Seems to me there will be some movement over the next year or two in online sales platforms, but the article also seems to read that Fairfax appears to still focusing on propping up paper based sales which is the reason for the sale. Bit of a mixed bag.....If Trademe was doing okay....why sell and then bring nexus onboard to find other online/digital opportunities?

Jay

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members