What's new

Wordpress versus HTML/CSS

Hello.

I am new to this forum and it looks like there are some great threads so I thought I would try asking a question...

I know XHTML/CSS and am wondering if I should delve into the world of WordPress. I have been building sites using Dreamweaver and WordPress seems to not offer as much flexibility and I can't seem to get my head arround it.

Should I persist with learning WordPress!

Thanks,
Shelley

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Wordpress is good for one big reason. It's a CMS that allows the user (AKA the end user) to be able to edit it without knowing HTML. That's the advantage of wordpress. If you're wanting to sell websites as a service then that's why I would learn wordpress so that you can give your customers a solution that they can run with themselves with little help.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Ash

Top Contributor
Welcome aboard Shelley!

I was in the same boat as you - I know html/css but hadn't used wordpress and had been avoiding it because of a lack of knowledge in php.

After a smallish learning curve you'll get the hang of it, so just jump right in and learn by trial and error. Sparky makes a great point about it being a benefit to your clients who just want to update their website with ease.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been using CushyCMS so my clients can update their website.

Think it is time to jump on board the WordPress train though.

:eek:

Ash

Top Contributor
haha that's exactly what I did in the beginning too Shelley; CushyCMS is a decent 'light cms' but it's hard to beat the popularity of wordpress.

Some of the others on here use Joomla and Modx as well.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
I've been using Modx since sparky suggested it to me; it's looking very promising as a feature rich but easy and customisable CMS; not with the various bits of PHP coding required for Wordpress (which I have never really understood to be honest).

coreyg

Top Contributor
g'day Shelley and welcome to dntrade,

I have used WordPress but find Joomla is more flexible with layout, why not put your skills to the test and learn both.

Cheers
Corey

Honan

Top Contributor
Hello.

I am new to this forum and it looks like there are some great threads so I thought I would try asking a question...

I know XHTML/CSS and am wondering if I should delve into the world of WordPress. I have been building sites using Dreamweaver and WordPress seems to not offer as much flexibility and I can't seem to get my head arround it.

Should I persist with learning WordPress!

Thanks,
Shelley

Hi Shelley
If you know CSS you might enjoy K2 on wordpress
See http://getk2.com/about/

johno69

Top Contributor
Just be aware a lot of wp themes are struggling with IE9.

There are fixed, but be sure to test test test.

djuqa

Top Contributor
lack of knowledge in php.
Never had to use my PHP skills much at all using Most modern versions of CMS/Blogging Platforms, including Wordpress, Joomla!, MODx. Re-Visit Wordpress or a CMS and be amazed at what you can do.

Luke

Top Contributor
I'm trying to learn php at the moment for a couple of reasons. I'm going with the MVC approach with a framework called CodeIgniter for now as I've found it significantly easier to understand. Maybe I'll ease into it this way.

James

Top Contributor
You don't need much computer knowledge at all to use WordPress, it is pretty basic lol...

If you dont want to make all your sites with wordpress then just stuff around with a few websites on that CMS.

sensoryfx

Top Contributor
Wordpress was origonally designed as a 'Blog Platform' but has become very popular because of its ease of use. As a rule, wordpress is for amature web developers. The more advanced users use more complex systems like Joomla.

But I think for Domainers, WordPress is more than adequate.

Ash

Top Contributor
Wordpress was origonally designed as a 'Blog Platform'

Key word here I think is 'originally'... Wordpress 3.x has implemented a lot of features that take it beyond simple blogging and more in to the realm of a CMS.

As a rule, wordpress is for amature web developers. The more advanced users use more complex systems like Joomla.

Does Joomla still use tables for layout? Not sure whether it still does or not, but if so I don't think it could be called a CMS for advanced users if it still churns out html that is heavily reliant on tables.

Drupal is another option that is considered by many a more capable 'out of the box' CMS, or use a custom one if you have special requirements.

Timmy

Banned
WP will do anything you want :) Custom CSS with WP is a win every time.

I don't see anything more 'advanced' about Joomla. It's just horses for courses and WP is shitload easier to manipulate than Joomla.

Last edited:

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Does Joomla still use tables for layout? Not sure whether it still does or not, but if so I don't think it could be called a CMS for advanced users if it still churns out html that is heavily reliant on tables.

Must have been a while since you used Joomla. Its certainly more then capable for enterprise sites and advanced users. The latest 1.6 is even better for new category structures,etc.

And Wordpress really can do everything with the right developers!

Thanks everyone,

There are certainly a lot of opinions. Guess I will have to 'suck it a see' and get WordPressing!

Cheers,
Shelley

sensoryfx

Top Contributor
To be honest, Ive never used wordpress. Before joomla I used .netnuke
There is still a tendancy among large corporates to use only .net based CMS due to security fears.

The new Joomla now has the ability to allow access for different users to different areas.
eg, different user groups accessing different content.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo