What's new

woo extension$$$$$

findtim

Top Contributor
just when i start getting into woocommerce they change the rules !!

i bought a few plugins and was told " they are lifetime purchases but get in quick because we are making changes" so i did.

then i wanted another one this week so i thought i'd ask the question again which was

Tim
Aug 02 14:05 (UTC)
hi, is this extension per annum or lifetime payment?
http://www.woothemes.com/products/........./

also i have bought a few plugins over the last few weeks and i keep asking myself this question, i think it would be good for you to detail that on your extensions as if it presently is detailed i can never see it so please let me know where to look.
thanks
tim
---------------------------
to which the reply was:

Maria (WooThemes)
Aug 02 21:10 (UTC)
Hi Tim,
Thank you for contacting WooThemes! I'm happy to help you with this. All new purchases come with licenses that are good for one year which will grant you access to support and updates. Any previous purchases you have made prior to Aug. 1 2013 will be grandfathered in on a two year plan. After the year is up (or two years if it is an exisiting purchase) you will have the option to renew the license to access support and updates for a discounted price. You can find information for questions like this here: http://www.woothemes.com/frequently-asked-questions/
I hope this helps!
Cheers!

Maria
WooThemes Support

----------------

yet a few weeks ago when i asked the same question the reply was:
Sven Hutchinson (WooThemes)
Jul 19 19:35 (UTC)
HI Tim,
Thank you for contacting WooThemes, I'm happy to help you with this.
It is for life and includes future updates. You need to be quick though as we are changing our licence structure soon.

Regards,
Sven - WooNinja
WooThemes Support

----------
i'll take it up with them but just wanted you to know that $99 plugin is now $99 P/A ! which is a big hit on a development for small business.
tim

findtim

Top Contributor
considering the plugin i purchased was $199 USD its pretty sucky.

i justified the purchase based on the first response but yearly ! F off !

its greed and they will pay dearly in lost sales, anti social media against the change, people choosing other platforms ( as if there are no other alternatives !!!! 100's ) forums like this taking it on and the HELL that will come on the 1/8/2014 when everyone that didn't read the fine print gets a bill or their clients plugin stops working !

AS they may have spent the time to change thier licensing agreements but i can not find any OPEN notification about this unless you go deep down into their site of FAQ's, i feel it should be noted on every extension it that it adheres to. if its there i haven't seen it.

i will keep this thread informed

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
Tim, I don't blame you for being pissed off.

Good to see you kept "Sven's" message as well.

I understand that some businesses have to change their "revenue model" in order to survive and prosper, but if they don't take into account past promises and terms of trade,
then it becomes a slippery slope.

They could have handled this a lot better - explained the "why"; then "grandfathered" existing clients in for longer than 2 years; and perhaps thrown in a freebie or two (for a year).

It reminds me of that definition of diplomacy:

"The ability to tell someone to go to hell; but make them enjoy the journey".

payattention

Archived Member
Anytime you see lifetime and software in the same sentence, it's usually bullshit marketing and really means life time of the product.

Then they either develop a 2.0 version and drop support for the old version after 12 months or in this case, they are so generous to add an extra year to your lifetime licence.

Having said that, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect any software company to support something forever.

findtim

Top Contributor
ned i have ever valid email since 2005.

Anytime you see lifetime and software in the same sentence, it's usually bullshit marketing and really means life time of the product.

Then they either develop a 2.0 version and drop support for the old version after 12 months or in this case, they are so generous to add an extra year to your lifetime licence.

Having said that, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect any software company to support something forever.

i kinda agree with you payattention, how they maintain profit is by being known for great service and making future sales.

the 2.0 version idea is fine, but what they are saying right now is ANY version turns to p/a.

i still use outlook 2003, if it dies then i will buy another but telling me "oh no we changed the rules isn't cool.

anyway, we will se their response.

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I don't find those changes unrealistic at all, but I agree they could've handled it better.

Hopefully it means they can provide better quality products, and upgrading will be worthwhile.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
ned i have ever valid email since 2005.

i kinda agree with you payattention, how they maintain profit is by being known for great service and making future sales.

the 2.0 version idea is fine, but what they are saying right now is ANY version turns to p/a.

i still use outlook 2003, if it dies then i will buy another but telling me "oh no we changed the rules isn't cool.

anyway, we will se their response.

tim

I purchased microsoft office and it had three licenses but i did use two of them for a while and discovered they could not be installed when i tried due to the fact they were .....pre 2010

findtim

Top Contributor
and thus a blank response:

----------

Maria (WooThemes)
Aug 05 16:04 (UTC)
Hi Tim,
Thank you for contacting WooThemes! We've recently published a post to help update customers on the new pricing changes that have gone into effect. Please review the updated post here: http://www.woothemes.com/2013/08/an-important-update/ - The most important part of this message is that any purchases made prior to August 1st 2013 now have the option to grandfather their licensing agreement via your My Licenses page in your Account Dashboard.
Please take a moment to review this post and our FAQ page to help clear up any questions you may have. If there is anything else I can do to help, please let me know.
Thanks!
Maria
WooThemes Support

------------
its worth clicking the link
tim

johno69

Top Contributor
The link says this..

To do right by you, we would now like to give you the option of whether you want to back our strategy for sustainability or whether you would want to stick to the previous terms & conditions that you signed into (which means we’ll grandfather all of your purchases). If you choose the latter, your purchases before 1 August 2013 (that were already unlimited or lifetime) will remain unlimited and lifetime forever.

Sounds fair to me.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members