What's new

Will the .au restictions be waived in the future?

ttfan

Top Contributor
What do you think the chances are that one day people no longer need an ABN to register a com.au, and anyone from any country can buy our domains?
We'd lose our protection, but it would likely result in an (short term) boost in prices, would it not?

Shane

Top Contributor
I'm sure it will happen, but who knows when. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years...?

I don't know if it would boost prices or not. Maybe amongst domainers, but anyone from anywhere in the world can register an AU if they really want to.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
(...)but anyone from anywhere in the world can register an AU if they really want to.
Absolutely, I sold a .com.au domain very recently to a company in Malta. There are legitimate ways in which overseas entities can be entitled to hold a .au domain license, for example a pending or registered Australian trademark.

I've also noticed an increase in international enquiries over the past few months, although it's too soon to know if it's an ongoing trend.

ttfan

Top Contributor
Yes fair enough...but I'm talking about removing the ABN or Trademark restrictions, which would open up our market to just about anyone, including domainers and speculators.

Shane

Top Contributor
Yes fair enough...but I'm talking about removing the ABN or Trademark restrictions, which would open up our market to just about anyone, including domainers and speculators.
If anyone was serious they'd just register an ABN. I can't imagine there is anyone out there who wants to put $$$s into AU domains and is only being held back by needing an ABN.

Sure there may be more registrations for personal use if the ABN requirement was removed, but this isn't going to affect the value of good commercial domains.

ttfan

Top Contributor
I wasn't referring to other Australians, I was referring to the gazillion of overseas domainers who technically can't register an ABN as they're not Australian.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member