1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the .au restictions be waived in the future?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by ttfan, Dec 4, 2015.

1. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

What do you think the chances are that one day people no longer need an ABN to register a com.au, and anyone from any country can buy our domains?
    We'd lose our protection, but it would likely result in an (short term) boost in prices, would it not?

2. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I'm sure it will happen, but who knows when. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years...?

I don't know if it would boost prices or not. Maybe amongst domainers, but anyone from anywhere in the world can register an AU if they really want to.

3. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Absolutely, I sold a .com.au domain very recently to a company in Malta. There are legitimate ways in which overseas entities can be entitled to hold a .au domain license, for example a pending or registered Australian trademark.

I've also noticed an increase in international enquiries over the past few months, although it's too soon to know if it's an ongoing trend.

4. ttfan

Yes fair enough...but I'm talking about removing the ABN or Trademark restrictions, which would open up our market to just about anyone, including domainers and speculators.

5. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    If anyone was serious they'd just register an ABN. I can't imagine there is anyone out there who wants to put $$$s into AU domains and is only being held back by needing an ABN.

Sure there may be more registrations for personal use if the ABN requirement was removed, but this isn't going to affect the value of good commercial domains.

6. ttfan

I wasn't referring to other Australians, I was referring to the gazillion of overseas domainers who technically can't register an ABN as they're not Australian.