What's new

Will .Store be the one?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
At only $2,808.88 to register Roddy.Store and with renewals of only $58.88 per year, you gotta ask will this be the extension to break through to the critical masses?
~
I wonder if this early access pricing?

Erwin

Top Contributor
It's such a Wild West out there.. .store may be

Do a search word on one GTLD extension at any of the registrars, and get many different amounts. I think with all this confusion around with purchases and renewals will not help these new extensions.

The secondary market is just as confusing try selling a nice domain at a premium renewal rate..
Umm no thanks..

Erwin

Top Contributor
I read somewhere that there is nothing a domain registrant can do if they decide increase annual renewal fees of any of these new gtld names, which make it really unnatractive to domain name investors. They can make a non premium gtld domain, a premium generic one the year following..

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Yep the uncertainty is a problem, once you develop you are at the registrars mercy and so far they have not been kind
~
.Tv is coming across as cheap lately

Erwin

Top Contributor
Years ago I registered a premium .photography name. After a year, the renewal came up, though I did want to keep the domain, the renewal rate fee was simply just too much to justify the means of keeping it. It was around the $500 mark.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I read somewhere that there is nothing a domain registrant can do if they decide increase annual renewal fees of any of these new gtld names, which make it really unnatractive to domain name investors. They can make a non premium gtld domain, a premium generic one the year following..

The key thing for any registry is to push prices to a level where they just makes sense for the registrant. Verisign would love to do this type of thing in .com. Lots of things get priced like this where the buyer doesn't have obvious cheaper choices.

The biggest difference between .com, .com.au and new tlds is that nobody cares about new tlds other than domainers and a small quantity of endusers so the registry is going to be able to get away with a lot of things whereas in popular tlds they would be in all sorts of trouble. As an example look at the reaction to Verisign's "site finder" service on .com in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_Finder

This was mainstream news and service was cancelled after a few weeks of extreme pressure. This wildcarding is something that had been done with other extensions (e.g. .ws) but as soon as someone messes with popular extensions it becomes international news. For anyone putting a site on a new tld they are at the mercy of the registry who wants to maximise profits whereas in a popular extension the registry won't be able to get away with much.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member