What's new

Why mac is so expensive than in US

asantha

Top Contributor
Just check on US apple shop, mac is really cheap than in Australian apple shop.. US$ and AU $ is same value, but Aussie is expensive :confused::confused::confused::confused:

ps
I saw an article saying that Australian parliament mp questioned from apple about that,, does any one know any updates, or apple going to revise their prices?

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
The MP does not fully understand it. When you factor in sales tax (which is added on in the US) and minus the 10% GST in Australia it's only about 1-2% more expensive, which considering where we are located/smaller population etc, it's actually not that bad.

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Add 8% (or there abouts) sales tax to US. Minus 10% from Aus. (To do that you need to divide by 11, then * 10)
Which mean:
USD = $1618.92 with 8% sales tax
Or the other way around (removal of GST):
AUD = $1543.63

Only $50-$100 more as opposed to $200

Ash

Top Contributor
Adobe are notorious for this as well... $1,899 USD for Adobe CS 5.5 Design Premium compared with $3,175 AUD.

James

Top Contributor
Cant you get like a 10-20% discount if you get a student to buy it for you lol, or buy it off Kogan.

paz

Why are we -10% for GST but adding the U.S sales tax?

U.S prices are advertised not including tax, ours are shown including tax...all you did was reverse it so that ours is not included and theirs is?

There are many factors in play here not just the Australian dollar.

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Paz that's what I realised I was doing so that's why I changed it as I was going. So, you compare: 1618.92 (with 8% sales tax) with the AUD with GST $1698
And then the other one is comparing without sales tax (normal USD price) and AUD without GST.

I made it confusing, I"m sorry. When I was first thinking I was thinking I needed to add sales tax and take away the GST

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member