1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Whoopsies

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Chris.C, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

:D

Don't I feel like the fool.

The new NF After Market Auction was started today and I have a couple of domains up for sale in it. Basically I have a few domains that I bought 12 - 18 months ago that I haven't got around to developing and since the AdWords KST was updated a few months back the metrics of these keyword based domains has dropped significantly to the point where I felt it may no longer be profitable to develop them using my business model, but I figured some of them still might have some value to someone else so I'll throw em up for sale on the NF AMA.

Anyway, it's the first time I have listed any domains for sale via NF's AMA so I went to check out the listings and I saw one of my domains listed as:

LaserjetPrinter.com.au

And I went to myself "ah bugger - that should have been listed as LaserJetPrinter.com.au" so people know to look up "Laser Jet Printer" not "Laserjet Printer" when doing their keyword research.

So I am about to PM David to ask him if he'd change the listing, but just before I started the message I went to the Googles KST and type in both the terms and realise it's not Net Fleet that's messed up it's me!

:eek:

"laserjet printer" - $4.63 - 1,900
    "laser jet printer" - $5.51 - 46

So here I was thinking that the domain was a term that only got 46 phrase searches a month, which for me doesn't justify me developing, when in actual fact it gets 1900 a month!

:eek:

I wouldn't have put it up for sale had I known... and now I'm packing it that some lucky bugger might be able to pick it up for a song when it's only available for sale due to my stupidity.

2. paz

paz Member

haha...

Accident....or some clever tactics to get your name some attention on the aftermarket? :p

3. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

You are aware of the trademark issues? Not sure people will pay much because of that.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. Chris.C

I assure you it was an honest accident. Surely it's obvious how it was an accident. I just posted it because I thought it was funny.

Plus I have 3 other domains up for sale that I haven't mentioned. Not that it should be necessary but if anyone was I'm sure David would be happy to confirm that I have other domains for sale in the auction that I'm not plugging!

I wasn't aware of that - no. I just assumed Laserjet was a generic type of printer not a brand.

Might be a case of a double whoopsies, though I did notice that iphonecases.com.au received bids in the last NF AMA. So it seems that there are buyers willing to invest in domains with brands in them.

I personally have bought and developed domains with trademarked brands in them before, but not even I would tempt fate with an trademarked Apple term. Apple have a bad reputation for scaring domain owners.

:D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  5. paz

paz Member

Relax...I'm kidding :)

6. Chris.C

LOL I re-read what I wrote and was thinking to myself - why the hell do I even care - even if I was plugging it (though I wasn't) it's a domain name forum we all plug our names all the time anyway.

It's probably more unusual that I don't.

Truth me told, I'm over the fact that I messed up - I'm actually quite interested to see how it goes now.