What's new

WHOIS and GDPR

chris

Top Contributor
For anyone interested in General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and WHOIS

DNS is about to get into a world of trouble with GDPR

ICANN, the group in charge of the Domain Name System, is in a deadlock with the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation over the WHOIS database and that means there's internet trouble ahead.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dns-is-about-to-get-into-a-world-of-trouble-with-gdpr/

Domain Sherpa covered this also:

GDPR, the end of the WhoIs & what this means to you – with Attorneys Stevan Lieberman, Ari Goldberger & Jason Schaeffer

https://www.domainsherpa.com/gdpr/

I've got some more GDPR content bookmarked that I'll share after I sort out what's useful.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
What does it mean for auDRP and Australia .au whois? auDA should allow .au whois privacy now. Even New Zealand now has it.

Horshack

Top Contributor
I think Whois privacy lets scammers hide too easily. I don't see the advantage of it in the .au space. Why do you think we should have it? I forgot to mention that I do have it on my .com names but only to stop people trying to sell me SEO and web design etc and not to hide that I am the holder.

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I forgot to mention that I do have it on my .com names but only to stop people trying to sell me SEO and web design etc.

You seem to have found a good enough reason for yourself.

Here are some more. I'm quoting

https://www.dnc.org.nz/irpo
New Zealand Registrant Privacy Option now .nz policy.
From 28 November 2017 an Individual Registrant Privacy Option (also known as IRPO) will be available.

Major Registrar
'FREE
Protect Your Privacy
When you choose private registration for a domain name with 1&1, you will benefit from ultimate privacy and anonymity; this is achieved thanks to 1&1 acting as a middle man between you and the WHOIS database, the resource that stores publicly available contact details. This means that, instead of your personal information appearing on the database, 1&1 will provide generic company details as a replacement.

Private domain registration allows you to keep your details out of the hands of spammers, telemarketers, data miners, and anyone else who might misuse it. This helps your website remain secure and ensures your privacy is never compromised.

What is private registration for a domain name?

• Private registration for a domain name allows you to remain anonymous and helps to increase the privacy and security of your website. Whenever you purchase a standard domain name, your registrar is required to pass on your personal information to ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). This is then associated with your domain and registered within the WHOIS database. The personal information contained within the WHOIS database – including name, postal address, email address and phone number – is then available to members of the general public.

However, a private domain gives you the benefit of removing your personal details from the WHOIS database and replacing them with those of the registrar. In essence, it works in the same way as removing your telephone number from any publicly available listings – allowing you to keep your contact details out of the hands of strangers. In this case, 1&1 replaces your registrant details, administrative contact details, and technical contact details with our own. This anonymity is particularly important to ward off threats to online security. A private domain gives you the peace of mind to continue operating online without sharing personal information with would-be hackers or other would-be threats.
http://support.melbourneit.com.au/articles/help/Private-registration-for-domains
Melbourne IT Private registration for domains
When you purchase a domain name, in many cases you have the option of making your details private. By default, the name, telephone number, address and email address of the domain name's registrant are visible online using a Whois lookup. While this may be appropriate for some users, particularly if the contact details refer to a business premises, it isn't always appropriate as some users prefer to keep their details private. The reasons for activating private registration include:

• Spam minimisation - if your email address is visible online, this can be harvested by spam operations resulting in increased volume of unwanted mail
  • Personal security - if the address on file is your home address, this may compromise personal safety
  • Business concerns - you may not want your relationship to an online business to be public knowledge
Private registration can be purchased for a domain name on registration through the checkout screen.
Enabling Private Registration
  1. Log into your Melbourne IT MyAccount
  2. Under My Purchases click on Manage Domain Names
  3. Click on the domain name you wish to enable private registration on.
  4. Under the Overview you will see the option to Enable Private registration.

When you transfer a domain name away from Melbourne IT, private registration needs to be disabled before the transfer can proceed. This is because your new registrar will need to send an email to the registrant address and an active private registration will replace this with a dummy address that will cause the email to bounce.

Disable Private Registration
  1. Log into your Melbourne IT MyAccount
  2. Under My Purchases click on Manage Domain Names
  3. Click on the domain name you wish to enable private registration on.
  4. Under the Overview you will see the option to Disable Private registration if it is enabled.

How can I enable ID Protection on my domain name registration?
Posted Tuesday April 15th 2014 / Category Domain Contacts and Privacy

We recognise that it is important to many businesses and individuals that their contact information is protected. VentraIP offers ID Protection options which will hide your direct details from the domain name Whois system where the domain name extension type supports it.

This is a feature often referred to as ID Protection, but also as Whois Protection and Domain Privacy. To enable your ID Protection within VIPControl, follow these steps:
  1. Login to your VIPControl account.
  2. Click the Manage my Domains button on your VIPControl dashboard.
  3. Select the domain name you wish to enable ID Protection on.
  4. In the drop down options select ID Protection.
  5. Click Enable ID Protection.
And that’s it! ID Protection is now enabled on your domain name; this gives you some privacy by putting some generic information onto your domain names Whois record – but importantly the masked email address forwards to your original email address.

As a little tip; any domains which support ID Protection have a little shield next to them in your domain list within VIPControl. When it’s disabled the shield is grey, when enabled it changes to blue.

Protection for .AU domain names? Unfortunately there isn’t such a thing

https://www.netregistry.com.au/domain-names/domain-privacy/
https://au.godaddy.com/domainaddon/private-registration.aspx
https://www.name.com/whois-privacy
https://www.crazydomains.com.au/help/how-to-hide-the-domain-whois/
https://www.crazydomains.com.au/help/the-difference-between-domain-privacy-and-private-tech/

https://uniregistry.com/security

Uniregistry Free WHOIS Privacy by Privacy.Link™
When you register a domain name, your name, phone number, address, and email are entered in the public WHOIS database.

Your personal information shouldn't have to be public.

Since anyone can access WHOIS data, it's no surprise that the WHOIS database is a frequent target for spammers and identity thieves.

Privacy.Link™ is a free service offered on all Uniregistry accounts. Simply enable it, and your WHOIS record will be masked.*

We'll forward any mail or email that's sent to you, free of charge.

* excludes certain domain name extensions due to registry restrictions.

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor

https://www.greengeeks.com/blog/201...hould-be-using-whois-privacy-on-your-domains/

Posted on December 8, 2015 by Kaumil Patel
7 Reasons Why You Should Be Using WHOIS Privacy On Your Domains

The WHOIS database is essentially a collection of information, such as your name and email address, that registrars publish once you purchase a domain. It’s used as contact information much like a traditional phone book. As you can guess, a great deal of complications can come from this information remaining in public access. Luckily, most registrars allow you to “purchase” privacy controls when you buy a domain. This removes that information from public view and keeps your contact info private.

Not everyone understands the value of keeping website ownership private. However, it can play a part in a variety of situations. For many people, the extra fee per year is far worth the peace of mind they get knowing that their information is hidden from view. Below are some of the reasons why you would want to utilize privacy on your domain. It may all center around what you’re trying to accomplish with the website.

Why Should You Use Privacy Controls on Domains?

1. Reducing Spam

When your name and contact information is visible in a WHOIS search, you are opening yourself to a great deal of spam. Many marketers will use this information to develop lists to sell to virtually any organization looking to mass email information. This allows marketers to develop niche mailing lists to sell for their own gains while subjecting you to unsolicited email.

Spam could also include unsolicited email from those attempting to earn your business. Website designers, other website owners and other “deals” could easily begin to flood your inbox. Registrations scams, fake alerts and more can also become problematic if your information is made available to the public.

2. Reducing Identity Theft
Not all identity thieves are looking to score your credit card information. Many will use your information to try to gain control of your site, create accounts in your name or otherwise spread digital mayhem. WHOIS privacy reduces the risks of losing your identity to those who have malicious intent.

3. Personal Views vs. Professional Information

Many people will use privacy settings in order to keep their professional and personal lifestyles separate. For example: Let’s say that you said something utterly controversial in social media channels. Without WHOIS privacy hiding your identity, your website could be linked to that comment by your name. You could find people boycotting your site on social media reducing the number of visitors.

4. Control of Contact Information
From a professional perspective, using a private domain helps re-enforce visitors to use specific contact information. Instead of using your private phone, email or address to inquire about professional services, these individuals will need to use the information you provide on the website. This gives you superior control when it comes to the correct contact information for the business site or professional blog. The last thing you want is for someone to try and order a product your business sells at two in the morning when you’re trying to sleep.

5. Hiding Your Physical Location

Not everyone on the Internet is friendly. If you post something on your site that could rile the attention of extremists, your home could be targeted. Although this is a more severe example, access to your private residence could open the floodgates for snail mail and other problematic pranks. You never know who will order you a dozen pizzas sent to your registered address because of something you did or wrote on your website.

6. Hiding Website Ownership or Designing Party
Not all registered users are directly tied to the website in question. It’s a common enough practice where designers and site hosting providers register the domain for clients. For whatever reason, some clients would rather not have their personal information tied to the site. Instead of showing the designer’s information, which may have nothing to do with the topic of the website itself, some will opt to use WHOIS privacy settings.

7. It’s Inexpensive
Keeping your information out of public view isn’t all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. For most registrars, it may be less than $10 per year. That’s less than a dollar per month to reduce spam, scams and negative feedback regarding your material. Learn about GreenGeeks ID Protect now and sign up today for this essential service.

It’s a Cyber-Jungle Out There; Keep Your Information Secure
As the Internet continues to grow and more people access websites, the risks to personal information continue to grow. Although you may believe your site is too small to get any real attention, it may be only a matter of time before your inbox becomes flooded with unsolicited messages and threats. Never assume that your site is too insignificant to be noticed, even if you just purchased the domain yesterday.

The difference between Domain Privacy and Private Tech
Article ID: 1492 Published: 22 Sep 2014 Authored by: Crazy Domains Support

Unfortunately, Domain Privacy cannot apply to .AU Australia domain names due to restrictions enforced by .AU Policy. We are, however, able to offer a limited version of Domain Privacy called Private Tech.

Australian .AU domain name registrations have two contact identifiers: Registrant and Tech.

Tech Information under the Tech contact is not displayed on the public WHOIS, giving you full privacy.
Registrant Remain as the owner information on WHOIS which will result in your personal information being disclosed on WHOIS in accordance with auDA policy.

Read more at https://www.crazydomains.com.au/hel...privacy-and-private-tech/#4tkYRCqwG7JfWBu7.99

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Double edged sword, if it stops the constant harassment from Indian spammers it's good thing, however when you're trying to get some info ..... RoadBlock.
~
Most of my domains redirect to a contact page. Although many domain owners may not do this, a huge bonus for the sales platforms.
~
Should be an opt out if you do not live in Europe

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads